Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 8:52 pm
Jan 12, 2012
20 posts
4 upvotes
EDMONTON
I've been wanting a Pixel 2 XL but Google's response has been disappointing. I'm hearing stories that people who want to RMA their devices because of insufferable blue tint are being told "it's just a preference" by customer service. I checked out one in a Rogers store and there definitely is a blue tint shift in small angles contradictory to Google saying it's only noticeable "in very sharp angles".
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
3186 posts
946 upvotes
Edmonton
Super strokey wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 11:51 am
So is it all units? Has lg said anything?
There are some users that reported no issue at all with their displays, but the problems seem to be prevalent enough (see various reviews) to warrant concern, and it's going to be a crapshoot whether you'll be getting a good screen or otherwise (which isn't really acceptable for a $1000 phone IMO).

There's been no official response from LG with regard to the display issues.
Jan 13, 2014
605 posts
159 upvotes
Calgary
LG won't say anything as it's technically not their phone. While they did assemble it, they really don't have any dealings with the public about it.

Think of it along the lines of expecting Foxconn to comment about anything related to the iPhone; they won't.
Nov 19, 2012
12 posts
Edmonton
650 USD doesn't include taxes. I did the math between buying from Google US and Canada, the difference is only 70 cad if you live in Alberta.
Jun 26, 2007
177 posts
44 upvotes
ChinpokoMon wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 6:37 pm
There are some users that reported no issue at all with their displays, but the problems seem to be prevalent enough (see various reviews) to warrant concern, and it's going to be a crapshoot whether you'll be getting a good screen or otherwise (which isn't really acceptable for a $1000 phone IMO).

There's been no official response from LG with regard to the display issues.
I'd be very concerned about that, what they're claiming is that the faulty displays are normal, which means they won't RMA a phone for a faulty display. It's the sort of thing that would make me stay clear of a manufacturer for a long time.
Jan 12, 2012
20 posts
4 upvotes
EDMONTON
Malek777 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 11:17 pm
650 USD doesn't include taxes. I did the math between buying from Google US and Canada, the difference is only 70 cad if you live in Alberta.
That's a lot of money. $900 also does not include the tax. $830 and $900 base price is a big difference. I don't even know why there is such a big difference given the exchange rate. Not like our import tariffs are like Australia's or Brazil's.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8387 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
Absolutely hilarious.

Google can't even ship out enough phones to customers, and to boot, so many have problems.

Granted these problems are inherent to the poor choice of hardware in the phone, but boy, I think I'm gonna wait for the Pixel 3. It's a shame really, because I really looking forward to using a Pixel on SD835. The chip is a beast and makes everything fly.

I've been reading the GooglePixel subreddit lately and a lot of people are having problems, too much for my comfort. Apparently they are denying RMA requests for people that have "too much blue tint", and it's suggested that the tint is variable as well.

We should not have to play the panel lottery in 2017.
Feb 21, 2017
13 posts
Played with an XL demo unit at bestbuy today. The blue color shift on the screen is actually really bad. I would say you could start seeing the blue color shift at 30 degree, or less. I ordered black one from google and reserved one from fido. Thinking cancel both. Damn google, why are you doing this???? I really want this phone but I probably have to let go.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3737 posts
451 upvotes
Montreal
SenseYoung wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 11:18 pm
Played with an XL demo unit at bestbuy today. The blue color shift on the screen is actually really bad. I would say you could start seeing the blue color shift at 30 degree, or less. I ordered black one from google and reserved one from fido. Thinking cancel both. Damn google, why are you doing this???? I really want this phone but I probably have to let go.
The Touchwiz isn't bad at all now so I would just go with S8+ for now or wait for the S9+. Blue tint on a $1200 phone is unacceptable.

And the battery life on my S8+ is the best I've ever had.
Sep 20, 2007
101 posts
51 upvotes
I'm getting random reboots on my Pixel 2 (non XL)... happened 3 times today. Other than that, then phone feels super smooth, lol.
Sep 20, 2007
101 posts
51 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:56 am
How are the speakers working?
Work fine for me... can turn it up to max volume without any distortion, but I think my LG G6 was louder (with distortion) at max. The stereo setup does help with eliminating the risk of blocking the speaker when in use though.

It does appear that my single issue of random rebooting is occurring with other users too... hopefully google addresses this, as it's getting annoying.

Another issue that no one seems to be discussing is the stationary position of the always on display's clock. I assume this increases the risk of burn in, and I recall my Samsung S7 edge addressed this by slowly moving the clock around the screen.... hopefully this doesn't become an issue down the road also.
Aug 19, 2008
904 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
604al wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:37 pm
Work fine for me... can turn it up to max volume without any distortion, but I think my LG G6 was louder (with distortion) at max. The stereo setup does help with eliminating the risk of blocking the speaker when in use though.

It does appear that my single issue of random rebooting is occurring with other users too... hopefully google addresses this, as it's getting annoying.

Another issue that no one seems to be discussing is the stationary position of the always on display's clock. I assume this increases the risk of burn in, and I recall my Samsung S7 edge addressed this by slowly moving the clock around the screen.... hopefully this doesn't become an issue down the road also.
The clock moves to the next pixel every minute, undetectable by you but it should be there
For example, the always-on-display lock-screen moves the clock in a subtle zig-zag pattern on every minute boundary. It’s almost imperceptible yet it ensures that the same pixels do not stay lit persistently.
Oct 14, 2010
538 posts
72 upvotes
SenseYoung wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 11:18 pm
Played with XL demo unit at BestBuy today as well. Blue colour shift isn't bad at all. I would say you could start seeing the blue colour shift at 90 degrees, or more.

People are just exaggerating the smallest issues. No phone is going to be perfect for every single person.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

NoWayHosEH