Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 10:10 am
Feb 21, 2017
9 posts
6o4_dc wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:55 am
Played with XL demo unit at BestBuy today as well. Blue colour shift isn't bad at all. I would say you could start seeing the blue colour shift at 90 degrees, or more.

People are just exaggerating the smallest issues. No phone is going to be perfect for every single person.

a video is worth a thousand words. I suggest people actually see it physically before purchase it. I personally find it unacceptable, but no phone is going to be perfect for every single person.
Jul 21, 2017
2 posts
This Limited Warranty is only valid and enforceable in locations where the Phone is sold and will apply only if you purchased your Phone from Google or its authorised resellers. This Limited Warranty only applies to hardware components (and not any software elements) of the Phone, and this Limited Warranty does not apply to damage caused by normal wear and tear, accidents, misuse (including failure to follow product documentation), neglect, disassembly, alterations, servicing other than by Google authorised technicians, and external causes such as, but not limited to, water damage, anomalies in the electrical current supplied to the device and extreme thermal or environmental conditions. This Limited Warranty does not apply to damage caused by you unlocking the Phone bootloader, installing an alternative bootloader, or otherwise altering the Phone firmware or operating system.This Limited Warranty does not guarantee that use of the Phone will be uninterrupted or error free.
Oct 14, 2010
538 posts
72 upvotes
SenseYoung wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 2:55 am

a video is worth a thousand words. I suggest people actually see it physically before purchase it. I personally find it unacceptable, but no phone is going to be perfect for every single person.
1 phone does not equate all phones.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
3680 posts
956 upvotes
SenseYoung wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 2:55 am

it was far from this bad, when I tried the demo in store. People should give it a try, to judge for themselves
Jan 13, 2014
597 posts
156 upvotes
Calgary
6o4_dc wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:33 am
1 phone does not equate all phones.
Exactly, and as things like the jelly effect on the OnePlus 5 showed, videos can easily exaggerate the issue. I played with one at a local Bell store the other day and it wasn't too had at all - and yes, I tried using it at various brightness settings.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2404 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
Devhux wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 8:04 am
Exactly, and as things like the jelly effect on the OnePlus 5 showed, videos can easily exaggerate the issue. I played with one at a local Bell store the other day and it wasn't too had at all - and yes, I tried using it at various brightness settings.
I've tried it at two different stores so far, and I think it's pretty bad.

I held my Note 8 beside it and tilted at the same axis.

Big difference.

It can be acceptable but not at the premium prices they want, plus, you have the One Plus 5T in the loom.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8386 posts
425 upvotes
Toronto
I'm glad it doesn't bother you.

It'll be the perfect phone for you, but not for me and others who expressed concern.

It's apparent to me even when looking at the screen dead on. I mean it's a trait of all amoled panels, but the shift on the Pixel 2 XL is particularly bad.
Aug 19, 2008
904 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
mcg wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:25 am
I'm glad it doesn't bother you.

It'll be the perfect phone for you, but not for me and others who expressed concern.

It's apparent to me even when looking at the screen dead on. I mean it's a trait of all amoled panels, but the shift on the Pixel 2 XL is particularly bad.
Looking at it dead-on shouldn't be apparent, LG/Google's QC is lackluster in these first wave of store demo's and phones shipped. Lots of owners are reporting their newer manufactured phones are not exhibiting these issues.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1747 posts
561 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
hvwozq wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 7:50 pm
:lol: Pixel 2 is almost as big as Pixel 2 XL because of huge bezels. What is even the point of making that device?
Probably the same reason Apple made the iPhone 8. (I have no idea)
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2404 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
mxzas wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:21 am
Looking at it dead-on shouldn't be apparent, LG/Google's QC is lackluster in these first wave of store demo's and phones shipped. Lots of owners are reporting their newer manufactured phones are not exhibiting these issues.
How long are you going to play the lottery till you get one that's just right?

Remember, stock is already scarce.

I'm waiting on my Panda XL 2 128 to come in from Rogers to decide between it and the X.
Aug 19, 2008
904 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 8:09 pm
How long are you going to play the lottery till you get one that's just right?

Remember, stock is already scarce.

I'm waiting on my Panda XL 2 128 to come in from Rogers to decide between it and the X.
I'm not as high maintenance, if mine is okay, I'll keep it. By the time they get to Canada it should be the latest batch.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2404 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
mxzas wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 8:15 pm
I'm not as high maintenance, if mine is okay, I'll keep it. By the time they get to Canada it should be the latest batch.
Canadian drop date is next week.

So, either Rogers already has it in warehouse or will have it.

I don't think it's about being high maintenance but rather how you value your money.

End of the day, whether locking back in or buying out, your buying an expensive device marketed to you by Google as an iPhone contender.

Can't be like BlackBerry, overpromising and underdelivering.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26151 posts
6049 upvotes
GTHA
Google released a new update designed to mitigate the problems some users have surrounding the muted colour featured in the Pixel 2 XL display, as well as help prevent the screen burn-in the Android device’s POLED screen suffers from.

The update, which is included in the Pixel 2’s latest security update, also contains a fix for the clicking noise some users reported hearing with the standard Pixel 2.

from https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/11/07/goog ... rn-in-fix/
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2404 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
I'm gonna go by Rogers tomorrow and see if I can get those reps to update their store Pixel 2 XL to the November update.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)