Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 7:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8389 posts
428 upvotes
Toronto
mxzas wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:21 am
Looking at it dead-on shouldn't be apparent, LG/Google's QC is lackluster in these first wave of store demo's and phones shipped. Lots of owners are reporting their newer manufactured phones are not exhibiting these issues.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/co ... _24_hours/
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/co ... ay_issues/

^ just some examples that things aren't going well even now.

Hoping they do fix something for our release here in Canada.

I'm crossing my fingers for a silent hardware update, similar to the Nexus 4 when they added the mini-bumps to the back of the phone to elevate it from a surface to protect the glass.

Perhaps they may revamp the polarizer or whatever is causing the tint, but I'm not hopeful that it will come soon, if ever. The N4 bump update took them a few good months to roll out.
Aug 19, 2008
905 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
mcg wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:36 am
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/co ... _24_hours/
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/co ... ay_issues/

^ just some examples that things aren't going well even now.
Those are the first batch phones. 2nd link manufacture date is Oct. 21st.
There are more posts about "normal" screens with people who received their phones recently than not. Those with issues have received their phones more than a week ago.
Oct 14, 2015
597 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Are any of you people even excited to get this phone now? I am more scared than excited. Very concerned of the screen and speaker issues.
Galaxy S7 with Koodo $46 3GB plan
Zoomer $40.5 2GB plan
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2488 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
SureshA720227 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:46 am
Are any of you people even excited to get this phone now? I am more scared than excited. Very concerned of the screen and speaker issues.
I saw videos of the saturation update, looks pretty good.

Getting to hard to dump Android and stick with the X which I have now.

I just prefer the customization of an app drawer, clean homescreen....

Looks like Rogers has yet to receieve, no movement regarding shipping.
Feb 25, 2014
53 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I've seen about 7 XL's on display. Blue shift is not as bad as people are saying. Colours are fine to me, I've never owned a flagship device so my eyes aren't as trained as reviewers or people who upgrade yearly.

What screen protectors are people looking at using for the XL? I wasn't planning on using one, but reconsidering for the first few months as some people I know might want to see the device and not sure who has buttery and/or oily hands.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2488 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
MugofDeals wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:54 pm
I've seen about 7 XL's on display. Blue shift is not as bad as people are saying. Colours are fine to me, I've never owned a flagship device so my eyes aren't as trained as reviewers or people who upgrade yearly.

What screen protectors are people looking at using for the XL? I wasn't planning on using one, but reconsidering for the first few months as some people I know might want to see the device and not sure who has buttery and/or oily hands.
Lol, why not just wipe with a microfiber?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2488 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
What do you guys recommend for cases on the Panda?
Feb 25, 2014
53 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:59 pm
Lol, why not just wipe with a microfiber?
It's an OCD thing. And I know it has gorilla glass 5, but I'm willing to slap on a screen protector for extra peace of mind.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17699 posts
193 upvotes
YVR
I played with the Pixel 2 XL today and I have to agree with some of the reviews that the screen is a deal breaker. The blue shift is really annoying. I actually don't mind that the colours pop like they do on Samsung's OLED screens. The build quality is really good. The software is good and I love how Google is promising 3 years of updates for the device. It's just unacceptable for a 2017 flagship phone to have a screen like this. Personally I think Google should have chosen HTC's U11+ as the basis for the Pixel 2 XL.
Last edited by Sgt_Strider on Nov 10th, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2542 posts
248 upvotes
Vancouver
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:59 pm
Any stores in Metro Vancouver with XL on display?
I've seen both sizes on display at the T Booth at Brentwood Mall, corporate Rogers store in Metrotown, Wireless Wave at Richmond Centre. I think by now all the major cell phone stores should have it also. I seen Fido advertise it in their window.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
2423 posts
674 upvotes
GTA
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:04 am
I played with the Pixel 2 XL today and I have to agree with some of the reviews that the screen is a deal breaker. The blue shift is really annoying. I actually don't mind that the colours pop like they do on Samsung's OLED screens. The build quality is really good. The software is good and I love how Google is promising 3 years of updates for the device. It's just unacceptable for a 2017 flagship phone to have a screen like this. Personally I think Google should have chosen HTC's U11+ as the basis for the Pixel 2 XL.
Can't use LCD for Daydream VR, so the U11+ would be a no go.