Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 9:38 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Only thing good about this fone is the camera. I played around with it. Really cheap feel. Did terrible in drop tests.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Nov 5, 2006
382 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote: Only thing good about this fone is the camera. I played around with it. Really cheap feel. Did terrible in drop tests.
Well that's your opinion. Myself, I just went from an iPhone 7 to the Pixel 2, and it's a pretty solid step up. The camera is excellent, the screen is nice (especially compared to the 7), and battery life has been really good. It's quite snappy as well. I do miss iOS integration, such as iMessage between users, but other than that it's pretty good. I actually don't mind the bezels either, or at least care enough to be bothered by them.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
eiafuawn wrote: Well that's your opinion. Myself, I just went from an iPhone 7 to the Pixel 2, and it's a pretty solid step up. The camera is excellent, the screen is nice (especially compared to the 7), and battery life has been really good. It's quite snappy as well. I do miss iOS integration, such as iMessage between users, but other than that it's pretty good. I actually don't mind the bezels either, or at least care enough to be bothered by them.
1st off, to each their own. Most peeps agree android is more functional than CrApple. That's not a surprise. Every1 knows that. Open source vs. Proprietary o/s. Reason why apple is falling behind. Apple used to have the largest app store on the planet. Now google play/android is ahead by 600k apps (2.8 vs 2.2 mil apps). 2nd, I always say if Apple included all the jailbreak features it be pretty much ahead of android. And 3rd, hardware durability doesnt lie. Drop tests dont lie. Majority of android fones fail in that dept. Feels like a toy... IMO.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
ot: god i missed android when using iphone 8plus! mine is NON jb ios 11.2.1, hopefully there will be an untether JB in this year

1)is there double tap to open screen, double tap to close screen off?
2)no power toggles type , i know that control center is swipe up from bottom right, don't like that, i wanna swipe from top
3) basically no nova launcher on ios!
4)no applocker apps? maybe if JB and in cydia?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2684 posts
1403 upvotes
Woodbridge
Anyone have any luck with finding a good tempered glass screen protector for the Pixel 2 (non XL)?
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12726 upvotes
Toronto
bigsky2 wrote: Is there adhesive all over or just on the edges?
litebrite wrote: Looks like a typical edge adhesive dot matrix TGSP...
I believe just the edges...one negative thing is that it's reflective as heck...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
6762 posts
2096 upvotes
So I've done some research and googling around but I'm still having some trouble understanding this (and wanting to be careful with charging a type-C device), hope I can get some answers (sorry if I use incorrect terminology in my post):

So a while ago, I bought an Aukey car charger (this one) with 2 USB-A ports that have Qualcomm 3.0 quick charge abilities to charge my old phone that used a micro USB connection. After I got my Pixel 2, I had to get new USB-C cables for this phone's connection. I went and bought these Anker USB-A to USB-C cables (LINK) to use with a charger and/or connect to a PC. I read online that older Anker USB-C cables had issues but I think I also read that newer ones have fixed those issues.

I am planning on using the Aukey car charger, along with the Anker USB-A to USB-C cable to charge my phone and was wondering if that is a safe combination? I searched around and it seems it won't be as fast as the wall charger that comes with this phone or a USB-PD charging connection (from what I understand is from a dedicated USB-C cord from a charger, or a USB-C to USB-C cable connecting a charger to the phone) but I don't mind if it's slower, as long as it works and is safe. I just want to be careful as I've read about problems using faulty chargers and bad USB-C cables that are not up to standard. I don't need USB-PD charging if this combo works.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1589 posts
173 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Any deals out there on this phone right now (XL)? Missed out on the Koodo one :(
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1726 posts
723 upvotes
the glass protectors with the edge adhesives suck

literally mine lost its stickiness within 2 weeks which renders the protector useless

but also the regular plastic ones also suck for curves screen so I'm in a dilemma
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1592 posts
393 upvotes
Vancouver
I think the only solution is to get a non-full screen / non edge to edge screen protector to keep a majority of the screen protected.
It seems like the protectors with the adhesive edges suffer from application issues after installation, or excessive glare or reflection since the Pixel's screen is not completely flush with the underside of the screen protector.
May 21, 2017
11 posts
ChiGGz wrote: Any deals out there on this phone right now (XL)? Missed out on the Koodo one :(
Looking for a deal for XL as well.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12726 upvotes
Toronto
epik89 wrote: the glass protectors with the edge adhesives suck

literally mine lost its stickiness within 2 weeks which renders the protector useless

but also the regular plastic ones also suck for curves screen so I'm in a dilemma
So far this Inskin protector is holding strong. I'm just at the 2 week mark now.
Jan 29, 2018
8 posts
Hopefully they do a promo with the S9 being launched soon. Looking for a deal on a XL as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3526 posts
1871 upvotes
GTA
Has anyone let Bestbuy install their custom screen protector? It's like $25-$30 or something.
I love RFD! :)
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1592 posts
393 upvotes
Vancouver
The really good screen protector options available as of now use a film and LOCA based liquid adhesive to keep the film on the screen.

e.g. Whitestone, ZAGG invisible shield

If you are not experienced with wet application, then it might be worth having Bestbuy or a retailer install it for you. Bubbles or poor installation? Bring it back to get reapplied without having to waste money on a new kit of films + loca.

It seems there is no good TGSP solution so far, due to the 2.5D curved edges of the Pixel 2's screen.

Personally, I'm running the screen bareback until a good TGSP non-dot matrix solution becomes available.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)