Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 9:38 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
DJ Trance AZ wrote: Thank you for your advise guys and I should make my future posting in the P2XL thread...I just paid for the SkipSoft Tool and did a stock image flashing...it was a nerve wrecking procedure and hope it will resolve the lock screen unresponsiveness issue...will report back in the other thread; thanks again!
DJ Trance AZ wrote: I must say I absolutely LOVE my P2XL for its camera quality and its software updates...I bought a Note 9 as I think my P2XL is malfunctioning (unresponsiveness in the lock screen post updating Sept.2018 Android Pie via side loading OTA method); fingers crossed for my phone!

EDIT: My phone worked well after I flashed the Sept.2018 Factory Image; phone booted up and loaded all the apps; turned off the phone to insert my SIM and booted; then the lock screen appears and it's blanked, unresponsive; only the power, and volume button works...Everything worked well until the rebooting (which was the same as before prior to flashing the factory image).

Hardware issue then?

I have requested for a replacement... hopefully the refurbished phone is of good quality...
Huh...? So you paid for an AIO tool and you ended up requesting a replacement? I've no idea why you even paid for one, there are plenty of free ones and what you paid for is for a Donation package (aka Pro version), what you pay for is that the app provides the most up to date updates (factory images), but you can easily load and download the latest one off the Google Factory image site yourself. You don't get any more features than the free public one, just minor convenience and a way to say thanks to the developer. So you're not getting magical powers for it to work. Dude, I even offered for you to come to my house and I'd do it for free, it's such a simple fix that can be done in 5 minutes...

Like others have suggested before, I don't know why you didn't perform a clean install from the beginning. I am very confident that it is just a software issue, not hardware. I flash my phone every few months and I encounter a bad custom ROM every now and then. Flashing an OTA over a ROM that has a bug is not the proper way to address it...the fact that you kept flashing the OTA repeatedly is mind boggling.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3912 posts
2178 upvotes
Toronto
EnyCe wrote: Huh...? So you paid for an AIO tool and you ended up requesting a replacement? I've no idea why you even paid for one, there are plenty of free ones and what you paid for is for a Donation package (aka Pro version), what you pay for is that the app provides the most up to date updates (factory images), but you can easily load and download the latest one off the Google Factory image site yourself. You don't get any more features than the free public one, just minor convenience and a way to say thanks to the developer. So you're not getting magical powers for it to work. Dude, I even offered for you to come to my house and I'd do it for free, it's such a simple fix that can be done in 5 minutes...

Like others have suggested before, I don't know why you didn't perform a clean install from the beginning. I am very confident that it is just a software issue, not hardware. I flash my phone every few months and I encounter a bad custom ROM every now and then. Flashing an OTA over a ROM that has a bug is not the proper way to address it...the fact that you kept flashing the OTA repeatedly is mind boggling.

It was very kind for your offering :) My phone still had the unresponsive lock screen after flashing the Sept.2018 factory image. It's just very strange...The phone worked very well after the flashing BUT the same issue occurred right after a reboot! Just sent off the phone today...I will just flash the Sept.2018 image once I get my replacement phone.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
DJ Trance AZ wrote:

It was very kind for your offering :) My phone still had the unresponsive lock screen after flashing the Sept.2018 factory image. It's just very strange...The phone worked very well after the flashing BUT the same issue occurred right after a reboot! Just sent off the phone today...I will just flash the Sept.2018 image once I get my replacement phone.
Are you sure you flashed it correctly? Another possibility is a bad file, redownload the factory image if you feel it wasn't a good one. Sometimes it happens due to slow or poor connection. One time i was downloading a custom ROM and the server was in the states, took a while (approx 15-20 minutes) to download and the file turned out to be a bad download as it was stuck in a bootloop. I changed servers to a Canadian one, downloaded it again in a few minutes and it was fine. I didn't pay attention at the time as I usually just download the first server on the list. But hey, the thing is under two year warranty so I guess you made use of it. I would've personally tackled the issue myself.

I mean worst case scenario, unlock the bootloader using the AIO tool you downloaded and flash the July factory image (last image before transition to Android P). You may or may not, have to critically unlock it. "fastboot unlock_critical". I've read that if you do this, you will be able to flash older bootloaders or roll back to older images. Google implemented an anti rollback feature where you can't flash older vendor/factory images so critical unlock allows you this option.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3912 posts
2178 upvotes
Toronto
EnyCe wrote: Are you sure you flashed it correctly? Another possibility is a bad file, redownload the factory image if you feel it wasn't a good one. Sometimes it happens due to slow or poor connection. One time i was downloading a custom ROM and the server was in the states, took a while (approx 15-20 minutes) to download and the file turned out to be a bad download as it was stuck in a bootloop. I changed servers to a Canadian one, downloaded it again in a few minutes and it was fine. I didn't pay attention at the time as I usually just download the first server on the list. But hey, the thing is under two year warranty so I guess you made use of it. I would've personally tackled the issue myself.

I mean worst case scenario, unlock the bootloader using the AIO tool you downloaded and flash the July factory image (last image before transition to Android P). You may or may not, have to critically unlock it. "fastboot unlock_critical". I've read that if you do this, you will be able to flash older bootloaders or roll back to older images. Google implemented an anti rollback feature where you can't flash older vendor/factory images so critical unlock allows you this option.

Thank you again for your pointers!! I had the phone for about three months and it was running flawlessly even with the Android P betas...I should receive my replacement phone this wk and see how it goes...I did an advance RMA with Google and they even included return UPS waybill label as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3912 posts
2178 upvotes
Toronto
Got my replacement Pixel 2 XL today; the phone does look brand-new and they must have replaced the phone casing. The device came loaded with Android 8.0 with Sept.2017 update; flashed the factory image for Sept.2018; loaded all the apps and restarted the phone few times without issue...So happy to have it back and so I can return my Note 9 back to Costco...

Edit: I spoke too soon and the SAME issue returns...so this is a software issue then?
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2820 posts
985 upvotes
GTA
DJ Trance AZ wrote: Got my replacement Pixel 2 XL today; the phone does look brand-new and they must have replaced the phone casing. The device came loaded with Android 8.0 with Sept.2017 update; flashed the factory image for Sept.2018; loaded all the apps and restarted the phone few times without issue...So happy to have it back and so I can return my Note 9 back to Costco...

Edit: I spoke too soon and the SAME issue returns...so this is a software issue then?
lol that's so weird. I've been doing OTA updates for every update without issue. rebooting my phone no problems. maybe rogue app? what apps did you install.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3912 posts
2178 upvotes
Toronto
dnyc wrote: lol that's so weird. I've been doing OTA updates for every update without issue. rebooting my phone no problems. maybe rogue app? what apps did you install.

Possible...My apps are fairly standard - WhatsApp, FB, Snapseed, Uniqlo, TinyScanner Pro...I don't load a lot of apps as I only use a few...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3912 posts
2178 upvotes
Toronto
I accidentally figured out my issue, and I think it's a glitch to the lock screen.

At the lock screen after booting up it normally shows the clock and the PIN pad. So yesterday the lock screen was blank after booting. For some reason I accidentally swiped from top of the screen and it then brought out the clock, and the PIN pad! This has worked after each rebooting!

So problem solved!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)