Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 9:38 pm
Sep 20, 2007
107 posts
54 upvotes
9394 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 4:09 pm
My primary reason for making the switch is for the camera. And yes, it's worth it.
Me too, but one thing that surprises me is how much this random rebooting issue has been kept out of the spotlight. There is a massive and growing thread about this on the google forums and it appears to be happening to many 2 & XL owners. I've had my phone replaced and just received the 8.1 update and it's still happening. Google support was great with the first replacement, but after identifying issues AFTER the replacement they've gone MIA. Maybe it's not happening to anyone else on here.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3927 posts
970 upvotes
Toronto
604al wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 3:23 pm
Me too, but one thing that surprises me is how much this random rebooting issue has been kept out of the spotlight. There is a massive and growing thread about this on the google forums and it appears to be happening to many 2 & XL owners. I've had my phone replaced and just received the 8.1 update and it's still happening. Google support was great with the first replacement, but after identifying issues AFTER the replacement they've gone MIA. Maybe it's not happening to anyone else on here.
I haven't experienced this at all.

I have blue shift on mine but never experienced random reboots.
Nov 11, 2007
892 posts
51 upvotes
2 and 2XL are at $0 at Rogers right now.
Jan 13, 2014
894 posts
276 upvotes
Calgary
zrepiV wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 10:26 pm
2 and 2XL are at $0 at Rogers right now.
Too bad they weren't willing to offer that to me last Friday when other carriers were. Switched to Telus over the weekend as a result as my contract with Rogers was pretty much up anyways.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
2439 posts
927 upvotes
Mississauga
yo2boy wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 1:49 am
Any good screen protectors for the 2 XL? I've been a spigen customer for 4 years and ordered yet another case from them haha.
Anyone?
I love RFD! :)

Model 3 reservation holder
May 8, 2009
6744 posts
2932 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Reddit: Pixel 2 XL Delivered this morning, line of dead pixels on screen

Real disappointing for Google's flagship.

I still don't get why "the Google phone" (Nexus/Pixel) happens to deliver such poor quality control.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16481 posts
5064 upvotes
Toronto
It seems like every iteration of google phones have some sort of quirk. Maybe they need to tighten up the specs with the manufacturer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5317 posts
2249 upvotes
604al wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 3:23 pm
rebel_rfd wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 3:26 pm
I haven't experienced this at all.

I have blue shift on mine but never experienced random reboots.
I have not had that issue either. (Fingers crossed).
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
1141 posts
88 upvotes
Woodbridge
9394 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 11:37 am
I have not had that issue either. (Fingers crossed).
Same here. No reboot issues with my Pixel 2.
Nov 11, 2007
892 posts
51 upvotes
9394 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 11:39 am
I've been searching for a slim TPU case for the XL and I'm gonna try this one: http://www.ringke.com/site/brand.php?id=36&item=411

I previous ones I bought from Amazon were slim but didn't have an raised edges to protect the screen.
I have a Spigen case. It looked pretty good before I shipped back my phone to get a replacement for horrendous blue tinting.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5317 posts
2249 upvotes
zrepiV wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 2:00 pm
I have a Spigen case. It looked pretty good before I shipped back my phone to get a replacement for horrendous blue tinting.
Did your replacement still have the blue tint?
Feb 19, 2017
326 posts
138 upvotes
They aren't a hardware company. They basically have no idea how this stuff works. You can't expect their supply chain to be top notch like Apple. Still, I'd rather deal with potential hardware flaws and the hassle of returns/exchange than live with a sub-par phone like a Motorola. A crappy phone with good quality control is still a crappy phone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5256 posts
1885 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
I guess that's why Google is giving a 2-year warranty for the Pixel 2.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
May 8, 2009
6744 posts
2932 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Walch1102 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 4:06 pm
They aren't a hardware company. They basically have no idea how this stuff works. You can't expect their supply chain to be top notch like Apple. Still, I'd rather deal with potential hardware flaws and the hassle of returns/exchange than live with a sub-par phone like a Motorola. A crappy phone with good quality control is still a crappy phone.
Depends on the Motorola. My first smartphone was the Galaxy Nexus. Kept getting dropped calls. Once I got on Motorola, I never looked back and would never go back to "the Google phone".
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread