Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 3:34 am
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
1045 posts
73 upvotes
Woodbridge
Anyone have any luck with finding a good tempered glass screen protector for the Pixel 2 (non XL)?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5072 posts
1915 upvotes
bigsky2 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 1:48 am
Is there adhesive all over or just on the edges?
litebrite wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 3:55 pm
Looks like a typical edge adhesive dot matrix TGSP...
I believe just the edges...one negative thing is that it's reflective as heck...
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2006
4437 posts
150 upvotes
So I've done some research and googling around but I'm still having some trouble understanding this (and wanting to be careful with charging a type-C device), hope I can get some answers (sorry if I use incorrect terminology in my post):

So a while ago, I bought an Aukey car charger (this one) with 2 USB-A ports that have Qualcomm 3.0 quick charge abilities to charge my old phone that used a micro USB connection. After I got my Pixel 2, I had to get new USB-C cables for this phone's connection. I went and bought these Anker USB-A to USB-C cables (LINK) to use with a charger and/or connect to a PC. I read online that older Anker USB-C cables had issues but I think I also read that newer ones have fixed those issues.

I am planning on using the Aukey car charger, along with the Anker USB-A to USB-C cable to charge my phone and was wondering if that is a safe combination? I searched around and it seems it won't be as fast as the wall charger that comes with this phone or a USB-PD charging connection (from what I understand is from a dedicated USB-C cord from a charger, or a USB-C to USB-C cable connecting a charger to the phone) but I don't mind if it's slower, as long as it works and is safe. I just want to be careful as I've read about problems using faulty chargers and bad USB-C cables that are not up to standard. I don't need USB-PD charging if this combo works.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1437 posts
101 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Any deals out there on this phone right now (XL)? Missed out on the Koodo one :(
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1243 posts
75 upvotes
the glass protectors with the edge adhesives suck

literally mine lost its stickiness within 2 weeks which renders the protector useless

but also the regular plastic ones also suck for curves screen so I'm in a dilemma
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1362 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver
I think the only solution is to get a non-full screen / non edge to edge screen protector to keep a majority of the screen protected.
It seems like the protectors with the adhesive edges suffer from application issues after installation, or excessive glare or reflection since the Pixel's screen is not completely flush with the underside of the screen protector.
May 21, 2017
4 posts
ChiGGz wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 10:35 am
Any deals out there on this phone right now (XL)? Missed out on the Koodo one :(
Looking for a deal for XL as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5072 posts
1915 upvotes
epik89 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 9:33 pm
the glass protectors with the edge adhesives suck

literally mine lost its stickiness within 2 weeks which renders the protector useless

but also the regular plastic ones also suck for curves screen so I'm in a dilemma
So far this Inskin protector is holding strong. I'm just at the 2 week mark now.
Jan 29, 2018
2 posts
Hopefully they do a promo with the S9 being launched soon. Looking for a deal on a XL as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
2052 posts
738 upvotes
Mississauga
Has anyone let Bestbuy install their custom screen protector? It's like $25-$30 or something.
I love RFD! :)

Model 3 reservation holder
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1362 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver
The really good screen protector options available as of now use a film and LOCA based liquid adhesive to keep the film on the screen.

e.g. Whitestone, ZAGG invisible shield

If you are not experienced with wet application, then it might be worth having Bestbuy or a retailer install it for you. Bubbles or poor installation? Bring it back to get reapplied without having to waste money on a new kit of films + loca.

It seems there is no good TGSP solution so far, due to the 2.5D curved edges of the Pixel 2's screen.

Personally, I'm running the screen bareback until a good TGSP non-dot matrix solution becomes available.