Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 9:38 pm
Mar 22, 2017
43 posts
35 upvotes
ChiGGz wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 10:35 am
Any deals out there on this phone right now (XL)? Missed out on the Koodo one :(
Or the regular one. Looking for a deal on the 5" in 128GB.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3924 posts
968 upvotes
Toronto
ChiGGz wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 10:35 am
Any deals out there on this phone right now (XL)? Missed out on the Koodo one :(
Check BST.
Jan 13, 2014
893 posts
276 upvotes
Calgary
Way better than the 80,000 phones Essential sold!

The truth is that Google will never sell as many phones as Samsung or Apple. The article does go in detail to say why this is the case, but one of the biggest reasons is carrier support and marketing. Here in Canada all the carriers sell the phone, but in the large market that is US, you can only see the phone in person at Verizon or order it online from Google. Most people still go to carrier stores and walk away with whatever device the sales person is being pressured to support that week, and Apple & Samsung spend far more in marketing and PR to make their phones the ones to push.
May 8, 2009
6719 posts
2920 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Devhux wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:30 am
Way better than the 80,000 phones Essential sold!

The truth is that Google will never sell as many phones as Samsung or Apple. The article does go in detail to say why this is the case, but one of the biggest reasons is carrier support and marketing. Here in Canada all the carriers sell the phone, but in the large market that is US, you can only see the phone in person at Verizon or order it online from Google. Most people still go to carrier stores and walk away with whatever device the sales person is being pressured to support that week, and Apple & Samsung spend far more in marketing and PR to make their phones the ones to push.
+1

There are several amazing Androids out there that get overlooked because they don't have the same kind of advertising as Apple and Sammy, and too many don't even make it on display at carrier stores.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18417 posts
291 upvotes
YVR
bigsky2 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 6:30 pm
I think the only solution is to get a non-full screen / non edge to edge screen protector to keep a majority of the screen protected.
It seems like the protectors with the adhesive edges suffer from application issues after installation, or excessive glare or reflection since the Pixel's screen is not completely flush with the underside of the screen protector.
That's what I'm thinking too. I'm ok with the edge not being protected. So what are some good options?
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1377 posts
189 upvotes
Vancouver
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 3:34 am
That's what I'm thinking too. I'm ok with the edge not being protected. So what are some good options?
I went with a wet application protector. Uses water and soap to apply the protector, so any fudge ups can be corrected easily.
Inexpensive, decent coverage - about 2mm away from the extreme edge of the screen where it meets the phone's body.
I'm happy with the results and I haven't thought about looking for an alternate protector.

I have read great reviews on the Whitestone Dome Glass, which is currently the best screen protector for the P2XL as it feels like tempered glass and has excellent coverage including the curved edges.
Installation requires patience as it uses a LOCA based adhesive liquid solution.
Mind you it's quite expensive, but it might be worthwhile if you want the clarity and silkiness of glass.
Mar 4, 2010
614 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga
Does this phone has a manual mode for the camera ?
Nov 5, 2006
175 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
I purchased a 2 pack TPU screen protector on Amazon called G-colour. Was around $15. It's not tempered glass, but it does go on easy and it's so clear I can't even tell that it's installed. I've never applied one of these types before, but followed the instructions and it worked out well. Would recommend checking it out if you have a Pixel 2 XL. If you just have the regular one, get the tempered glass version.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18417 posts
291 upvotes
YVR
bigsky2 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 1:11 am
I went with a wet application protector. Uses water and soap to apply the protector, so any fudge ups can be corrected easily.
Inexpensive, decent coverage - about 2mm away from the extreme edge of the screen where it meets the phone's body.
I'm happy with the results and I haven't thought about looking for an alternate protector.

I have read great reviews on the Whitestone Dome Glass, which is currently the best screen protector for the P2XL as it feels like tempered glass and has excellent coverage including the curved edges.
Installation requires patience as it uses a LOCA based adhesive liquid solution.
Mind you it's quite expensive, but it might be worthwhile if you want the clarity and silkiness of glass.
Are there any that doesn't require a wet installation?
Dec 27, 2009
100 posts
39 upvotes
Hola
If you are not the type to attempt installing any TPU based screen protector, you could consider the clear plex protector that is sold by BestBuy. For $35 they will install the screen protector for you and should the protector ever come off or have any faults they will replace it at no cost for the life of the phone. I have already replaced my protector 2 times so far. I changed phone cases several times and this caused the edges to raise a little so I had it changed. You can replace the screen protector at any BestBuy or BestBuy Mobile store.

The main constraint of there screen protector is that it does attract fingerprint smudges but you can simply wipe it off with a microfiber cloth... Still a pain to deal with though.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5313 posts
2245 upvotes
moh2010 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 8:38 am
Hola
If you are not the type to attempt installing any TPU based screen protector, you could consider the clear plex protector that is sold by BestBuy. For $35 they will install the screen protector for you and should the protector ever come off or have any faults they will replace it at no cost for the life of the phone. I have already replaced my protector 2 times so far. I changed phone cases several times and this caused the edges to raise a little so I had it changed. You can replace the screen protector at any BestBuy or BestBuy Mobile store.

The main constraint of there screen protector is that it does attract fingerprint smudges but you can simply wipe it off with a microfiber cloth... Still a pain to deal with though.
That's pretty good...I might try that...