Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 Discussion Thread - Pixel 2 starts at $899 and Pixel 2 XL starts at $1,159

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2017 8:18 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2088 posts
211 upvotes
What's up with the crazy high prices for these phones?
Aug 19, 2008
884 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
If the new cameras are capable of detecting which item is in focus and which is not though the dual pixel arrangement, that means the cameras have depth sensing capabilities and are actually also depth sensors and could be theoretically pretty accurate. That's pretty crazy.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2962 posts
203 upvotes
Less is more... so we're supposed to think anyways ...
Super strokey wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 9:18 pm
So fewer features but more money? And late to the market? I am disappoint

Curved screen too? Barf.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16618 posts
356 upvotes
Cress wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 9:57 pm
Less is more... so we're supposed to think anyways ...
Google gone full retard wow...
Nov 22, 2007
705 posts
29 upvotes
So when you buy pixel phones you get unlimited storage at full resolution. What happens if I stop using the pixel phone and go with another android or iOS? Will the unlimited storage continue ?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24790 posts
2551 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rebel_rfd wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 5:20 pm
Rogers pre-order is up, currently sitting in single digits.

Ordered the 128 XL B&W and the 128 XL in Black, will decide later what to go with, so might have a spare for anyone looking for Rogers upgrade/buyout in Toronto.
I'll take you up on that offer. As long as the box is sealed.

Is Rogers offering the Mini?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3076 posts
468 upvotes
GTA
thl0103 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:26 pm
So when you buy pixel phones you get unlimited storage at full resolution. What happens if I stop using the pixel phone and go with another android or iOS? Will the unlimited storage continue ?
No. It applies to uploads from the Pixel phone itself. It's not account based. IIRC, whatever you have uploaded while using the Pixel will stay but anything afterwards will have their regular upload limits applied.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2962 posts
203 upvotes
Unlimited storage is exclusively for pictures uploaded by Pixel phones. Anything uploaded by something else will be part of your normal/paid google storage.
If you sell your Pixel, the photos uploaded by pixel will still stay their original quality and not part of your normal/paid google storage.

See more details here: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-goog ... ckup-works

It looks like they allow pictures and videos uploaded by Pixel phones, even those that weren't taken with the Pixel camera. They may or may not at some point turn to only giving free original files upload for pictures and videos actually taken with the Pixel.

Cheers,
thl0103 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:26 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1958 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
Super strokey wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 9:18 pm
So fewer features but more money? And late to the market? I am disappoint

Curved screen too? Barf.
The Verge nailed it when they called the Pixel 2 "Pragmatic"

It doesn't need to boast the biggest and baddest specs, when the software works perfectly, if not better, than the competition.

Samsung has always been touting the best specs for a long time now.

Everyone looked forward to the S series, until the Note series got slimmer over the years, for the biggest updates in tech.

However, TouchWiz would cripple the device, and even now, with TouchWiz light, you aren't guaranteed continued support past the one year mark with Samsung.

So yes, not the newest chip, or dual lenses, but what Google does better than the competition is execution of the software.

You know who else did that? RIM.

Blackberry never sported the fastest or latest in technology, but the OS worked a lot better, until lack of direction at the helm/poor App ecosystem crippled the ship.

A true test of the Pixel line will be this year, when it battles the Note 8 (which hasn't been recalled) and the iPhone X.

At the end, if you need a phone that caters to the best pics you can take and not have to fret about uploading/downloading them, Pixel 2 is your answer.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/2/1638 ... phone-ever
Last edited by rebel_rfd on Oct 4th, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1958 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:37 pm
I'll take you up on that offer. As long as the box is sealed.

Is Rogers offering the Mini?
Yup, I think every carrier is, well, at least hope they are doing so since Google is offering that bundle.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2962 posts
203 upvotes
That friendly price though ...
Maybe I'll jump in when Koodo has one of their activation promos with discounted prices...

Cheers,
rebel_rfd wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 11:02 pm
The Verge nailed it when they called the Pixel 2 "Pragmatic"

It doesn't need to boast the biggest and baddest specs, when the software works perfectly, if not better, than the competition.

Samsung has always been touting the best specs for a long time now.

Everyone looked forward to the S series, until the Note series got slimmer over the years, for the biggest updates in tech.

However, TouchWiz would cripple the device, and even now, with TouchWiz light, you aren't guaranteed continued support past the one year mark with Samsung.

So yes, not the newest chip, or dual lenses, but what Google does better than the competition is execution of the software.

Blackberry never sported the fastest or latest in technology, but the OS worked a lot better, until lack of direction at the helm/poor App ecosystem crippled the ship.

A true test of the Pixel line will be this year, when it battles the Note 8 (which hasn't been recalled) and the iPhone X.

At the end, if you need a phone that caters to the best pics you can take and not have to fret about uploading/downloading them, Pixel 2 is your answer.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/2/1638 ... phone-ever
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24790 posts
2551 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rebel_rfd wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 11:02 pm

I would still be using a BlackBerry if BB10 was still developed and supported. I'm not an app junkie and I just want a phone that works as intended. BlackBerry did cheap out on hardware. BlackBerries ran great when you first get them, but they tend to slow down over extended use.

I do use a few apps and honestly, they don't run well on my current Pixel XL. If you want polished apps, it is tough to beat iOS. The same apps I have on my Pixel, runs considerably better on my iPad

I can't really justify buying a Pixel 2 XL, but I am finding that email is starting to lag on my current Pixel XL. I depend on it for work, so it is important to me.
Jun 26, 2009
249 posts
8 upvotes
Is it true that Google sold about 1 million Pixel 1 ? That's just sad. I'm predicting Pixel 2 sales number will be just as bad.

But hey, if Used Pixel 1 XL 128gb is in the $500 range I might get one to play with. Just want the unlimited photo storage.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24790 posts
2551 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
yiyayo wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 11:55 pm
Is it true that Google sold about 1 million Pixel 1 ? That's just sad. I'm predicting Pixel 2 sales number will be just as bad.

But hey, if Used Pixel 1 XL 128gb is in the $500 range I might get one to play with. Just want the unlimited photo storage.
The problem was inventory. Google didn't have any. I wanted an Pixel XL 128, but I had to wait 6 months just for stock. I ended up buying the 32 Gig and I still had to wait for that.

They would sell more, if they had inventory.
Nov 28, 2013
958 posts
262 upvotes
London, ON
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 6:08 pm
Pixel will have better hardware and software performance and much better support and customer service

Not sure about camera at this point but the pixel was basically equivalent or slightly better than s8 , so I think there again won't be much difference

Sd card is useless as you can't use it to expand system memory.
hardware? it has a snapdragon 835 just like all the most recent phones . s8 , s8+ , note 8, lg v30 etc..
the pixel only has 4gb of ram as well.. for the price point they should of had at least 6gb .. if oneplus can do it google can do it as well.

SD CARD is far from useless, why do you think samsung brought it back in their s7 after the s6?
External storage is great for people that have huge collection of music libraries, or do a lot of video taking. have you seen the size of some 4k videos.