Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 Discussion Thread - Pixel 2 starts at $899 and Pixel 2 XL starts at $1,159

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2017 8:18 pm
May 11, 2016
82 posts
32 upvotes
Koodo is offering Google Home mini if you preorder Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL. They come up to the same price if you were to buy it straight from Google, just need to cancel the plan right away.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1575 posts
105 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Something about the display is bothering me. Mkbhd explains it really well at 1:50 in his video:

Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17500 posts
171 upvotes
YVR
jaydiemx wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 1:21 am
Koodo is offering Google Home mini if you preorder Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL. They come up to the same price if you were to buy it straight from Google, just need to cancel the plan right away.
Best Buy is also offering that as well if I sign up for a plan through one of the carriers, but how is it the same price if I have to utilize the carrier's service for like a day or two? I rather buy from Best Buy if possible and hopefully they'll have a promo on top of this by Christmas time.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17500 posts
171 upvotes
YVR
Dave98 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 6:05 pm
That's the thing. Even as a big fan of stock Android, I'm thinking this phone is hard to justify over something like an S8+. The software has to be a huge deciding factor.
Like you, I am a big fan of stock Android. I have only Nexus devices, but this year I might have to consider the Note 8 simply because of the superior specifications. The Note 8 have more RAM, which is really nice, and SD storage. I like how the Pixel 2 XL have unlimited photo and video, but this isn't in perpetuity. It's only going to be for 3 years. I just wish the Pixel 2 XL was cheaper. I hate how Samsung install so much of that crapware on their phones and Bixby. My dream Android device is a S8+ or Note 8 with stock Android.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17500 posts
171 upvotes
YVR
Sn0wWhite wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 1:46 pm
V30 it is. Headphone jack, dac, wireless charging, and cheaper price
What's the pricing going to be for an unlocked model? It's unfortunate that the V30 doesn't have more RAM and I have no idea what LG's update/OS policy is. At least Samsung is 1 year.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1575 posts
105 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 2:25 am
Like you, I am a big fan of stock Android. I have only Nexus devices, but this year I might have to consider the Note 8 simply because of the superior specifications. The Note 8 have more RAM, which is really nice, and SD storage. I like how the Pixel 2 XL have unlimited photo and video, but this isn't in perpetuity. It's only going to be for 3 years. I just wish the Pixel 2 XL was cheaper. I hate how Samsung install so much of that crapware on their phones and Bixby. My dream Android device is a S8+ or Note 8 with stock Android.
What ever happened to the Google edition of each manufacturers flagship devices eh.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24790 posts
2551 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rebel_rfd wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 11:03 pm
Yup, I think every carrier is, well, at least hope they are doing so since Google is offering that bundle.
It’s a limited time offer from Google, may only last for preorders.
Dec 28, 2015
371 posts
105 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Wow...that camera is amazing.. especially front facing one and the OLED screen with always listening and lens search... Such a big step forward with software

Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1958 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 2:17 am
Best Buy is also offering that as well if I sign up for a plan through one of the carriers, but how is it the same price if I have to utilize the carrier's service for like a day or two? I rather buy from Best Buy if possible and hopefully they'll have a promo on top of this by Christmas time.
Best Buy couldn't even secure stock for the 128 GB last year until way into 2017.

Stick with Google or the Carrier stores, cause third party will just secure your deposit and make you wait endlessly.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1958 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 7:43 am
Wow...that camera is amazing.. especially front facing one and the OLED screen with always listening and lens search... Such a big step forward with software

It shows how much post-processing can dictate the game.

Look at modern day photography, having the best gear doesn't mean you take the best pictures.

It's about the initial framing and post-processing.

If Google can help you with the latter with it's algorithms, it will get you better pictures than the dual camera setups of the Note 8 and X.

Plus Pixel 2 has a dual Pixel setup like Canon has on their recent dSLRs...
Dec 28, 2015
371 posts
105 upvotes
Westmount, QC
sk1001 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 1:08 am
hardware? it has a snapdragon 835 just like all the most recent phones . s8 , s8+ , note 8, lg v30 etc..
the pixel only has 4gb of ram as well.. for the price point they should of had at least 6gb .. if oneplus can do it google can do it as well.

SD CARD is far from useless, why do you think samsung brought it back in their s7 after the s6?
External storage is great for people that have huge collection of music libraries, or do a lot of video taking. have you seen the size of some 4k videos.
I said hardware and software performance

We all know Google phones have far superior performance with same hardware as other phones due to much superior optimization..just like iPhones do

Yes SD cards are useless...slow and not able to use for system storage . Who keeps music library on physical media on their phones? We're talking flagships here...people will have data plans .

I have huge music and video library...all up on the cloud and on demand

Sd is useless for high end phones, for non tech savvy people and cheap phones there's a point to them. Sd storage will just degrade performance and have the phone perform like a Samsung device... slow and laggy after a few months

I had a S7Edge and before that a s6Edge and my crappy Moto x pure runs circles around them all day in actual use performance with regards to smoothness and speed . Of course camera is subpar on the Moto but it speaks to how poor Samsung hardware perform after a few months

Huge advantage of Google is also the superior customer service and support.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1358 posts
114 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 9:24 pm
What's up with the crazy high prices for these phones?
+1
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1500 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
At the moment i am deciding between v30 or s8+. I believe S8+ is probably the cheapest here.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
2761 posts
233 upvotes
jaydiemx wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 1:21 am
Google has the same offer. They will send out the promo code for the mini, but their term states that shipping may apply.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)