Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 Discussion Thread - Pixel 2 starts at $899 and Pixel 2 XL starts at $1,159

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2017 8:18 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1575 posts
105 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Those who are getting the phone, are you guys planning to keep and use the google home mini? Or sell it. Personally I don't have a use for it. Want to hear from others to see what the general consensus is.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17500 posts
171 upvotes
YVR
dnyc wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 1:43 am
Those who are getting the phone, are you guys planning to keep and use the google home mini? Or sell it. Personally I don't have a use for it. Want to hear from others to see what the general consensus is.
If I get it, I'll sell it because I already have a Google Home.
Aug 19, 2008
884 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
dnyc wrote:
I have an Echo Dot and I will keep the google home mini to see strengths and weaknesses of each platform then decide whether to buy echo/GH next
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1958 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
dnyc wrote:
Selling.

Hoping to fund the purchase of two of the Google Home Max speakers.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
3667 posts
947 upvotes
I had Google Home and it was awesome!
I sold it to get the next JBL portable speaker with google assistant (jbl link 20).

I'll keep the Mini, because I need at least 2 speakers in my small appartment.
Sep 1, 2013
377 posts
88 upvotes
Mississauga
tk1000 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 11:00 pm
Forget a missing headphone jack, the Pixel 2 doesn’t even have a DAC
Here's why that's important to you as a consumer
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/06/pixe ... c-missing/

Pixel 2 to only offer unlimited original quality Google Photos uploads until 2020
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/06/goog ... xl-policy/
Both important things to note for potential buyers, although personally neither omission will actually impact my usage. The reason I bought the 128GB version of the XL 2 is because I strongly prefer restricting most of my data to local storage only. I've never liked the idea of my personal photos and videos uploaded to the cloud. I regularly backup my photos and video to a portable USB hard drive, and extremely large videos I'll delete off my phone and keep them only as part of the backup/PC copy. Photos and more manageable videos I keep on the phone's internal memory, disabling cloud storage.

As far as music goes, I prefer using a dedicated device for that (currently a Sony Walkman NWZ-A17), which has better sound quality, saves my phone's battery, and features vastly more storage (which I need since I keep all my music in FLAC).
Oct 14, 2015
576 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I just read on 9to5google that the two Pixels have different kind of speakers. Pixel 2 is louder and tinnier while the Pixel 2XL is fuller but is quieter. Why would they do that? I have to wait for reviews to decide on this phone. Also so many issues like no headphones included, banding on the display etc.
Galaxy S7 with Koodo $46 3GB plan
Zoomer $40.5 2GB plan
Aug 15, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
The design of the new pixel phones is not that exciting. Too much of a bezel in comparison to newer flagships.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6627 posts
88 upvotes
Port Moody
@AMRadio, I dont feel the same as you , I just sold my G6 after owning about 6 week, The device was just horrible, IMHO LG crams their phones full of stuff, but honestly that battery life is horrible and the screen is just too dim, if you are outside it requires 100% brightness and watch your battery drain. I also found compared to 3 previous devices once my BES corp software was put on the device it even became worse with the same settings. I would not recommend the G6 at all personally
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16227 posts
1046 upvotes
Woodbridge
Rouzbehh wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 1:26 pm
The design of the new pixel phones is not that exciting. Too much of a bezel in comparison to newer flagships.
At least they made used of the space by putting another speaker. This is what I want from every company since hTc came out with BoomSound.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Dec 28, 2015
371 posts
105 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Rouzbehh wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 1:26 pm
Yup agreed....except they do have an amazing camera and it's all about software now and they're way ahead of all the other phones in functionality
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14300 posts
861 upvotes
Markham
bembol wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 12:08 pm
At least they made used of the space by putting another speaker. This is what I want from every company since hTc came out with BoomSound.
+1 I'll take a slightly larger top and bottom bezel if it meant having dual front firing stereo speakers
ShadowVlican