Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 Discussion Thread - Pixel 2 starts at $899 and Pixel 2 XL starts at $1,159

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2017 12:11 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8342 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto
Really waiting on reviewers to evaluate the speakers - nearly all the first impression videos never made a mention, AFAIK.
Oct 14, 2015
576 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mcg wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 12:44 pm
Really waiting on reviewers to evaluate the speakers - nearly all the first impression videos never made a mention, AFAIK.
9to5google said smaller Pixel 2 sounds louder and tinnier while the larger one is not as loud but sound is fuller.
Galaxy S7 with Koodo $46 3GB plan
Zoomer $40.5 2GB plan
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24844 posts
2572 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
SureshA720227 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 8:47 am
I just read on 9to5google that the two Pixels have different kind of speakers. Pixel 2 is louder and tinnier while the Pixel 2XL is fuller but is quieter. Why would they do that? I have to wait for reviews to decide on this phone. Also so many issues like no headphones included, banding on the display etc.
The two phones are manufactured by two different companies.

The Pixel is by HTC and the XL is by LG
Jun 26, 2007
167 posts
39 upvotes
These phones would be nice, at half the price. But seeing as I've been burned with Google devices before (Pixel C died after 18 months, out of warranty and replacement parts are non-existant) I wouldn't way what they're asking for this. They're asking for Apple prices when you can get the base phones for these for less than half the price. If you don't believe me check the LG G6 deals in Hot Deals.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1212 posts
1015 upvotes
Vancouver
Just a heads up, there is an inside deal for Telus Google Pixel preorders.

Pixel 2 64GB - $0 on a $100 plan unlimited nationwide with 4GB (+1gb for telus home customers).

Pixel 2 XL 64gb - $250 upfront on the same plan above.

Both come with the free Google Home Mini.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1988 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
Flunk wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 2:23 pm
These phones would be nice, at half the price. But seeing as I've been burned with Google devices before (Pixel C died after 18 months, out of warranty and replacement parts are non-existant) I wouldn't way what they're asking for this. They're asking for Apple prices when you can get the base phones for these for less than half the price. If you don't believe me check the LG G6 deals in Hot Deals.
Are you really comparing the LG G6 to the Pixel 2?

I guess the Nvidia Shield is really just a MiBox....
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1378 posts
161 upvotes
Flunk wrote:
An lg g6 is not the same as a google phone. Plus you have to jump through hoops to get it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16234 posts
1047 upvotes
Woodbridge
Apple iPhone 8 Plus is $359 on Rogers Premium+ and Google Pixel XL 2 is $449. Both are 64GB.

I don't wanna know how much the PREMIUM plans cost which where am at. I can't get them to change it to + without changing my monthly cost. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4200 posts
200 upvotes
Markham
Does PLED perform as well as OLED? What are the differences? Some reviews online say PLED is inferior but is necessary because of the bending frame.
May 9, 2014
31 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver
HoboEater wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 3:24 pm

Pixel 2 64GB - $0 on a $100 plan unlimited nationwide with 4GB (+1gb for telus home customers).

Where are you seeing this? On their website? I cannot see this deal. I see Pixel 2 XL on Telus starting at 450 on Premium+ and 650 on Premium tab. :(
American Express Gold (30K) | American Express Business Gold (40K) | American Express Business Platinum (75K)
BMO World Elite Mastercard (Primary Card)
Sep 28, 2017
23 posts
1 upvote
HoboEater wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 3:24 pm

Rogers has one where smart tab (I currently pay $65 for unlimited nationwide with 4gb but the plan is advertised at $75) has pixel XL pre-order for $750. In a 2 year period, you'll be paying over $200+ more with Telus if you're paying $100 a month.
Apr 24, 2017
770 posts
301 upvotes
Waterloo
Flunk wrote:
Google replaced my Nexus 6p for defective battery issue 8 months after warranty ended.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
3537 posts
1134 upvotes
Nexus phones needs to come back. They were all well received so I'm not sure why Google stopped making the mid-range, affordable and best value phones... Maybe stick with Huawei as the manufacturer since the 6P was the best out of the bunch.

Now Google is competing with the high-end flagships of Samsung, LG, and Apple, and their only advantage over their competition is the "pure stock" Android experience and getting the OS updates first.
Nov 3, 2007
781 posts
32 upvotes
Cambridge
Seem to be getting pretty pricey...........Into iphone territory now.
Really Google doesn't make them. The have phones made for them to their requirements
I still have a Nexus 6 but wont be spending this much as theres tax yet as well.
Cambridge,Ontario
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1988 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
trinxified wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 2:29 am
Nexus phones needs to come back. They were all well received so I'm not sure why Google stopped making the mid-range, affordable and best value phones... Maybe stick with Huawei as the manufacturer since the 6P was the best out of the bunch.

Now Google is competing with the high-end flagships of Samsung, LG, and Apple, and their only advantage over their competition is the "pure stock" Android experience and getting the OS updates first.
Nexus line affordability is taken away when you can get an older Galaxy device for that price with the same or similar hardware.

Besides Google is making a lot of money and wants to compete with Apple. How do you compete with Apple who makes their own hardware and software? Google decides to have direct input when designing their own hardware.

Motorola is still around for anyone that wants affordable and close to vanilla droid experience.

I think the price premium of a Google device for immediate updates and continuous updates is worthwhile over yesteryear's Galaxy/Note.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

usmanraf