• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 10:42 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1621 posts
816 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I love how the faceID works in complete darkness.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17679 posts
190 upvotes
YVR
So here's the situation that I'm in. I just bought both the iPhone 8 Plus and the iPhone X. The IP8+ is on my desk as I type this post. I haven't opened it yet. The IPX is still in the mail. UPS' website is showing a delivery date of late next week. I'm not going to keep both phones. I played with the IPX at the Apple Store and I love every aspect of the phone. I love how it's so easy to use the phone with only one hand. For the last two years, I have avoided the smaller iPhones as it have only 2GB of RAM. I went with the Plus models not because of the bigger screen (although it doesn't hurt to have a bigger screen), but because it have 3GB of RAM. I do find that the Plus models are a bit harder to use with one hand, but I have learned to adapt to it. For the first time in a long time, a smaller iPhone have top of the line specs and 3GB of RAM to match the Plus model. What's holding me back from keeping the IPX is the price. I really wonder if the IPX is worth $1700. I hate how Apple is charging a higher premium for the IPX in Canada than the IP8+. I know what I'm getting out of the IP8+. It's a good phone and I think I'm getting more value out of it. I don't care about the lack of OIS on the telephoto lens as I don't shoot a lot of photos on my phones. Anyways, I know this is a first world problem, but I'm actually losing sleep over it. My heart is telling me to stick with the IPX and return the IP8+.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7006 posts
289 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:15 am
So here's the situation that I'm in. I just bought both the iPhone 8 Plus and the iPhone X. The IP8+ is on my desk as I type this post. I haven't opened it yet. The IPX is still in the mail. UPS' website is showing a delivery date of late next week. I'm not going to keep both phones. I played with the IPX at the Apple Store and I love every aspect of the phone. I love how it's so easy to use the phone with only one hand. For the last two years, I have avoided the smaller iPhones as it have only 2GB of RAM. I went with the Plus models not because of the bigger screen (although it doesn't hurt to have a bigger screen), but because it have 3GB of RAM. I do find that the Plus models are a bit harder to use with one hand, but I have learned to adapt to it. For the first time in a long time, a smaller iPhone have top of the line specs and 3GB of RAM to match the Plus model. What's holding me back from keeping the IPX is the price. I really wonder if the IPX is worth $1700. I hate how Apple is charging a higher premium for the IPX in Canada than the IP8+. I know what I'm getting out of the IP8+. It's a good phone and I think I'm getting more value out of it. I don't care about the lack of OIS on the telephoto lens as I don't shoot a lot of photos on my phones. Anyways, I know this is a first world problem, but I'm actually losing sleep over it. My heart is telling me to stick with the IPX and return the IP8+.
I’m in a similar situation where I just got the X but using the 7 Plus right now. Going to see in the next few days if I want to keep it.

Price is the reason I am on the fence as well as the 7 Plus isn’t that much slower. Will have to wait and see.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15663 posts
4417 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Follow your heart
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1332 posts
10 upvotes
usa
I noticed that my screen on the X is yellowish when looking straight at it, but it’s white (with a blue tint) when I turn my phone at an angle. Imagine sift white and daylight lights. I’ve tried adjusting the settings, but nothing seems to work.

Also, the brightness was set all the way, and the display accommodations in accessibility was set to off. All of a sudden, the phone turned very dim. Not sure what I adjusted and it went back bright again.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15663 posts
4417 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
raptors909 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:06 am
Does Asurion insurance cover iPhones that have been bought outright from the Apple store?

I tried adding Apple care through Rogers for $9 a month but because I’m not on a 2 year contract they would not allow it. The rep also mentioned its $13 instead of 9.
So $13 is the new price then? That’d make a lot more sense (25% more over 24 months compared to the $249 through Apple)
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9855 posts
4229 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Well the predicament means greater heartache if you break or lose it. That said if you don't, they're iPhones, basically rentals because they retain value on resale. Yes, it's price gouging considering it was just published they cost $370 in parts, not much more than the 8. However, if it's only the cost holding you back, my suggestion is money isn't finite, I'm assuming you're in a position to keep making more, yolo, and if you can afford it, buy the best phone you can. It is the thing you use the most every single day, your cognition is tied to it, your relationship behaviour if you use it to communicate and social media, your emotions if you talk/share with family and friends.

Someone might say, well, we can get that with any late model phone these days. Practicality wise, I was hesitant on losing the home button. While it's still an inconvenience losing the headphone jack, this week has told me I don't want to go back to a home button, and you're right, it's a bigger phone in a smaller body, much more pleasant to use with one hand. The screen is gorgeous, the most colour accurate out there, nicer than an 8 and the battery lasts long because you can keep brightness levels lower on this OLED. The X is definitely a new phone, whereas the 8 is a 7S. My 2c, good luck, it's ultimately your decision.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9855 posts
4229 upvotes
Southern Ontario
gta1216 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:19 am
I noticed that my screen on the X is yellowish when looking straight at it, but it’s white (with a blue tint) when I turn my phone at an angle. Imagine sift white and daylight lights. I’ve tried adjusting the settings, but nothing seems to work.

Also, the brightness was set all the way, and the display accommodations in accessibility was set to off. All of a sudden, the phone turned very dim. Not sure what I adjusted and it went back bright again.
Turn off True Tone, it's on by default. When on, it auto adjusts warmer (yellow) to match the ambient light.
Nov 6, 2015
188 posts
273 upvotes
Oakville
Data point : My order was in the Nov 21-28 batch. I received a shipping notification this morning, ETA Nov 16 :)

Capture.PNG
Jul 1, 2013
49 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Same here, can’t wait to get my ipx
arvind84 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:07 am
Data point : My order was in the Nov 21-28 batch. I received a shipping notification this morning, ETA Nov 16 :)

Capture.PNG
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17679 posts
190 upvotes
YVR
bobbings wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 5:13 am
I’m in a similar situation where I just got the X but using the 7 Plus right now. Going to see in the next few days if I want to keep it.

Price is the reason I am on the fence as well as the 7 Plus isn’t that much slower. Will have to wait and see.
It's not just the speed that got my to sell my IP7+ and upgrade. Wireless charging is also an important upgrade.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1332 posts
10 upvotes
usa
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:37 am
Turn off True Tone, it's on by default. When on, it auto adjusts warmer (yellow) to match the ambient light.
True Tone was turned off since day one when I setup the phone.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1962 posts
933 upvotes
Oakville, ON
arvind84 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:07 am

Capture.PNG
Me too!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9855 posts
4229 upvotes
Southern Ontario
gta1216 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:01 am
True Tone was turned off since day one when I setup the phone.
As a matter of fact I notice it too. I’m pretty finicky with white balance as a photographer. Just don’t look at it sideways?
Jan 29, 2013
651 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
If you're already looking at using an 8+, the cost differential to move to an X isn't _that_ big. The 8+ is also fairly expensive as it is. I would have an easier time justifying to myself the incremental cost of buying an X over an 8+, than the scenario I was in, where I'm currently using an 8 (purchased on release) but my X arrives next week anyways. As it turns out, what I really wanted was the X. I don't care that much about the OIS on the camera either, but that screen though....