• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 10:42 pm
Tags:
Oct 30, 2017
103 posts
17 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:39 pm
Damn, a pop socket?!? on an X?!? LoL, maybe on a Note 8 but the X is manageable with just one hand.

haha its more when I take "selfies" or in public transit so that I dont get bumped and drop the phone. I, however, will not attach one to my totally case which is basically a naked sleeve with zero protection I think.

I think Asurion still wins.

So you cracked your screen, but phone still works, just break the rest of it "accidentally."

AppleCare+ covers two accidentals, with a smaller deductible.

Carrier insurance does two claims for a new phone at a higher deductible.

However, you're still locked in with AppleCare+ past two claims for the two years.

Carrier insurance does two claims for the 12 months, then renewed. So if you are klutzy af and dropped it twice in a year, get booted out of the program, you can get back in next year, unlike AppleCare+.

To me, carrier insurance makes more sense than AppleCare+, thus why I live that carefree live with no case/screen protector.
How do you get back in after the 12 month period (2 claims)? What I am asking is, say I have 2 claims within 6 months, they kick me out. After another 6 months, I am eligible again, correct? but now my phone is 6 months old. Doesn't the phone have to be brand new for the coverage?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2451 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
lostwowords wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:49 am
How do you get back in after the 12 month period (2 claims)? What I am asking is, say I have 2 claims within 6 months, they kick me out. After another 6 months, I am eligible again, correct? but now my phone is 6 months old. Doesn't the phone have to be brand new for the coverage?
Open Enrollment.

Rogers has times during the year when your phone, existing, can be enrolled into the program.

Not sure how they monitor if its got pre-exisiting damage, but they let you enroll in. As long as you are being billed for it, you are being covered.

This is made available in the situation where customer refused Device Protection during contract signing or was not told of it.

Customer decides they want it later because of the situation above, and so are given a chance to enroll it into the program. Essentially carrier is matching usage on that IMEI with the SIM placed in it.

For example, I had an iPad Mini 2 that I refused device protection on, then decided it was worthwhile and asked to be enrolled in. Rogers let me know the timeframe in which I can opt into the program based on having an active SIM in the device.

I carry device protection on both my phone and tablet, cause you never know what could happen when travelling or in a rush.
Last edited by rebel_rfd on Nov 10th, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 30, 2017
103 posts
17 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:52 am
Open Enrollment.

Rogers has times during the year when your phone, existing, can be enrolled into the program.

Not sure how they monitor if its got pre-exisiting damage, but they let you enroll in. As long as you are being billed for it, you are being covered.

This is made available in the situation where customer refused Device Protection during contract signing or was not told of it.

Customer decides they want it later because of the situation above, and so are given a chance to enroll it into the program. Essentially carrier is matching usage on that IMEI with the SIM placed in it.

For example, I had an iPad Mini 2 that I refused device protection on, then decided it was worthwhile and asked to be enrolled in. Rogers let me know the timeframe in which I can opt into the program based on having an active SIM in the device.

I carry device protection on both my phone and tablet, cause you never know what could happen when travelling or in a rush.
So you have to be on contract with rogers for that? I am with Bell and have protection on the X. Another one is coming next week and is a buyout from Apple. It will be on month to month plan, I know Bell and Virgin dont let you enroll unless you contract, Rogers and Fido I think let you enroll bought out devices, but will have to check.
Also conundrum with Bell X is that sim being used is Virgin but contract upgrade was through Bell on a different number which is still using 7. Device protection is being billed by Bell for X and "on record" the phone is being used by Bell customer.
I wonder if that would be an issue when device replacement is requested, I ofcourse will remove my sim and insert the Bell sim in and use it for few minutes so it updates its internal info.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2451 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
lostwowords wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:19 am
So you have to be on contract with rogers for that? I am with Bell and have protection on the X. Another one is coming next week and is a buyout from Apple. It will be on month to month plan, I know Bell and Virgin dont let you enroll unless you contract, Rogers and Fido I think let you enroll bought out devices, but will have to check.
Also conundrum with Bell X is that sim being used is Virgin but contract upgrade was through Bell on a different number which is still using 7. Device protection is being billed by Bell for X and "on record" the phone is being used by Bell customer.
I wonder if that would be an issue when device replacement is requested, I ofcourse will remove my sim and insert the Bell sim in and use it for few minutes so it updates its internal info.
Phone Claim is processed by third party. They check usage by contacting carrier.

If you are using a Virgin Sim in a Bell X, its going to give you issues.

They need to see at least 30 days of usage on the account on that device and imei, and they check usage during time of incident.

So, you could have the Bell X and Bell Sim in for 30 days, swap to Virgin, something happens, claim activated. Claim will come back denied because date of occurrence will show no activity and Bell SIM showing usage on another device or just usage in general.

In another case, you have Bell X and Bell Sim in for 30 days, remove and place Virgin, something happens claim activated. Claim will go through as long Bell Sim has been sitting dormant since removal.

I think in your case, either use the Bell SIM and X together if you want the Device Protection, if not, go with AppleCare+.
Oct 30, 2017
103 posts
17 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:26 am
Phone Claim is processed by third party. They check usage by contacting carrier.

If you are using a Virgin Sim in a Bell X, its going to give you issues.

They need to see at least 30 days of usage on the account on that device and imei, and they check usage during time of incident.

So, you could have the Bell X and Bell Sim in for 30 days, swap to Virgin, something happens, claim activated. Claim will come back denied because date of occurrence will show no activity and Bell SIM showing usage on another device or just usage in general.

In another case, you have Bell X and Bell Sim in for 30 days, remove and place Virgin, something happens claim activated. Claim will go through as long Bell Sim has been sitting dormant since removal.

I think in your case, either use the Bell SIM and X together if you want the Device Protection, if not, go with AppleCare+.
Currently Bell sim is working with iphone7 and Virgin sim with iphoneX. When the claim is filed, Bell sim will stop working AND iphoneX will stop working. I will use virgin sim in my old SE so I still have access to the phone.
Will this work in an event of the claim?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2451 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
lostwowords wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:40 am
Currently Bell sim is working with iphone7 and Virgin sim with iphoneX. When the claim is filed, Bell sim will stop working AND iphoneX will stop working. I will use virgin sim in my old SE so I still have access to the phone.
Will this work in an event of the claim?
Nope.

It's like this, let's say 3 months from now, you drop the X or lose it.

They check the usage. Bell will show the Bell Sim and covered X were not in use together. You can try to claim it, they will think you are trying to claim on the iPhone 7, blacklist the 7 and ship you a 7 as replacement.

The point to matching usage is to prevent fraud.

This way, someone can't have device protection, order a phone, use it for a day, or place their sim to show it was on their account, sell, call it in lost, and get a new phone plus extra $$$.

The only work around is for you to not use the Bell Sim or to use the X, tethered to another phone if you want coverage on the X. Once the Bell SIM enters another phone, the X is dropped and that phone is what is being covered. Bell captures IMEI and SIM.

Let me give you context.

I was about to leave to a trip earlier this year. Night before, I dropped my phone and screen didn't crack but stopped working. It was a Pixel XL. I didn't have time to call in and make a claim or setup a claim, flight about to leave in a few hours.

So I popped out my SIM, threw it into a beater phone and left. I came back 2 weeks later, went to setup a phone claim.

Device Claim came back saying they can cover the claim but not for the Pixel XL, it would be for the beater Z10 I was using..... As soon as my SIM went into the Z10, coverage dropped on the Pixel XL, even though I put the SIM back into the Pixel XL when I processed the claim.
Oct 30, 2017
103 posts
17 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:53 am
Nope.

They check the usage. Bell will show the Bell Sim and covered X were not in use together. You can try to claim it, they will think you are trying to claim on the iPhone 7, blacklist the 7 and ship you a 7 as replacement.

This way, someone can't have device protection, order a phone, use it for a day, or place their sim to show it was on their account, sell, call it in lost, and get a new phone plus extra $$$.

The only work around is for you to not use the Bell Sim or to use the X, tethered to another phone if you want coverage on the X. Once the Bell SIM enters another phone, the X is dropped and that phone is what is being covered. Bell captures IMEI and SIM.
ah ok, I have been using this since Nov 3, so last week. My another phone is coming next wednesday which I will get covered with Virgin, give this phone to the original Bell user and let them go at it. So when claim is filed, there is no issue. If they inquire why was the phone used for 1.5 weeks by virgin sim, my explanation is that I was testing the phone for them. Also I think once the phone has been used BY BELL user for 30 days or more, this should not be a concern, any thoughts on this?
Oct 30, 2017
103 posts
17 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:53 am
Nope.

Let me give you context.

I was about to leave to a trip earlier this year. Night before, I dropped my phone and screen didn't crack but stopped working. It was a Pixel XL. I didn't have time to call in and make a claim or setup a claim, flight about to leave in a few hours.

So I popped out my SIM, threw it into a beater phone and left. I came back 2 weeks later, went to setup a phone claim.

Device Claim came back saying they can cover the claim but not for the Pixel XL, it would be for the beater Z10 I was using..... As soon as my SIM went into the Z10, coverage dropped on the Pixel XL, even though I put the SIM back into the Pixel XL when I processed the claim.
So from that context, BELL sim can be in the X for just a week or two prior to the claim, doesn't have to be in there for the entire month or more, correct?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15662 posts
4417 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:39 pm
Damn, a pop socket?!? on an X?!? LoL, maybe on a Note 8 but the X is manageable with just one hand.
I got one just in case.

My hands are quite dainty which is an asset when navigating small crevasses but a hindrance when playing various sports and operating largish mobile devices.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2451 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
lostwowords wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:01 pm
So from that context, BELL sim can be in the X for just a week or two prior to the claim, doesn't have to be in there for the entire month or more, correct?
Yup, it just has to show usage on the device during or prior to the claim.

These are all measures to circumvent fraud from consumers looking for a quick pay day.

Phones are expensive, even after paying deductible, someone can clear around $1500ish for an iPhone X on Kijiji.
Oct 30, 2017
103 posts
17 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:15 pm
Yup, it just has to show usage on the device during or prior to the claim.

These are all measures to circumvent fraud from consumers looking for a quick pay day.

Phones are expensive, even after paying deductible, someone can clear around $1500ish for an iPhone X on Kijiji.
If its blacklisted, kijiji wont do any good.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5014 posts
790 upvotes
GTA
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:20 pm
Any iPhone X owners getting a green line on the display?
wow, reminds me of when lcds just came out and people used to get a line or two of stuck pixels in an array either horizontally or vertically.

We Shall Never Forget 7/08 '14
We Shall Never Forget 8/19 '11

Toilet Paper Calculations Thread
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2451 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
porksoda wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:22 pm
wow, reminds me of when lcds just came out and people used to get a line or two of stuck pixels in an array either horizontally or vertically.
Well, apparently the phone screen locks up at 0 Degrees or below and Apple is working on an update...