• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 1:03 pm
Tags:
Oct 30, 2017
117 posts
19 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:24 pm
Well, apparently the phone screen locks up at 0 Degrees or below and Apple is working on an update...
no good, I think SE was able to withstand must colder temps
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1967 posts
936 upvotes
Oakville, ON
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:07 pm
I got one just in case.

My hands are quite dainty which is an asset when navigating small crevasses but a hindrance when playing various sports and operating largish mobile devices.
Navigating small crevasses, eh? That made me stop and hmmmm....and then I thought you might want to try your hand (pardon the pun) at being a hand model. Could come in handy, (ooops - did it again), to make some extra money.
Dec 2, 2009
240 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote:
Well, apparently the phone screen locks up at 0 Degrees or below and Apple is working on an update...
Do you really believe Apple didn't do any product testing on cold temperatures? It's a software issue, and has to do with going from hot to cold. Jeeze, drama queen over here
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2488 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
kevinssmith wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 5:27 pm
Do you really believe Apple didn't do any product testing on cold temperatures? It's a software issue, and has to do with going from hot to cold. Jeeze, drama queen over here
Didn't realize my post was being conveyed as dramatic.

If you are launching a phone near the end of the year, I would assume R&D would account for the colder temperatures around that timeframe.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9858 posts
4231 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Hmmm, I've always been on 10.1.1 to maintain jailbreak, when did they move Auto-Brightness to Display Accommodations in Accessibility?

I never liked that feature but on the X, it's pleasingly accurate. Not sure if it's because the notch is constantly reading the ambient light.
May 1, 2011
375 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone else unlock their X using a passcode and the screen turns black with a loading icon, then asks for your passcode again??
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17699 posts
193 upvotes
YVR
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:29 am
Well the predicament means greater heartache if you break or lose it. That said if you don't, they're iPhones, basically rentals because they retain value on resale. Yes, it's price gouging considering it was just published they cost $370 in parts, not much more than the 8. However, if it's only the cost holding you back, my suggestion is money isn't finite, I'm assuming you're in a position to keep making more, yolo, and if you can afford it, buy the best phone you can. It is the thing you use the most every single day, your cognition is tied to it, your relationship behaviour if you use it to communicate and social media, your emotions if you talk/share with family and friends.

Someone might say, well, we can get that with any late model phone these days. Practicality wise, I was hesitant on losing the home button. While it's still an inconvenience losing the headphone jack, this week has told me I don't want to go back to a home button, and you're right, it's a bigger phone in a smaller body, much more pleasant to use with one hand. The screen is gorgeous, the most colour accurate out there, nicer than an 8 and the battery lasts long because you can keep brightness levels lower on this OLED. The X is definitely a new phone, whereas the 8 is a 7S. My 2c, good luck, it's ultimately your decision.
I'm going to get a heartache if I break or lose the IP8+. I always use a case with my phones and it's not just to prevent the phone from minor scratches. I find a naked iPhone to be too slippery. I prefer cases with a bit of texture to help with the grip. I agree, iPhones hold value pretty well, but my gut feeling is that this is more of an exception year than anything. Future iPhones will have the notch and go down in price to replace the current small and plus models of the iPhone.

I wouldn't be complaining if Apple used the same exchange rate on the IP8+ for the IPX. The difference is between US pricing and Canadian pricing on the IPX is greater. That's why I am questioning the value of the IPX in Canada. I can definitely afford to keep the IPX. Like I said, my heart is telling me to go with it since that phone checks off so many of the right boxes, but it's still $1700. I see where you're coming from and it's nice to have time to think about it as I won't receive the phone until next week. If Apple gave the IP8 3GB of RAM, then I already know which phone I would be going with. It's ridiculous how Apple can still produce a high end phone in 2017 with only 2GB of RAM.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17699 posts
193 upvotes
YVR
qualdoth wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:29 am
If you're already looking at using an 8+, the cost differential to move to an X isn't _that_ big. The 8+ is also fairly expensive as it is. I would have an easier time justifying to myself the incremental cost of buying an X over an 8+, than the scenario I was in, where I'm currently using an 8 (purchased on release) but my X arrives next week anyways. As it turns out, what I really wanted was the X. I don't care that much about the OIS on the camera either, but that screen though....
Apple is charging a slightly higher premium on the IPX in Canada than with the IP8+. Don't get me wrong, the IP8+ is an expensive phone as well. I agree, the screen is really nice!

The thing is that I plan on using two phones. I should have mentioned it earlier, but I'm planning on getting a high end Android device to compliment my iPhone. I've already been told I'm crazy for using both the IP7+ and a Nexus 6P, but I just want to play with both OS at the moment. It's nice to have two phones when travelling. My idea is to use with the IP8+ or the IPX with a Note 8.
Nov 6, 2015
191 posts
274 upvotes
Oakville
FYI for those considering a Mujjo case, I got hit with duties of $24 on my order of a case and touchscreen gloves.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26243 posts
6073 upvotes
GTHA
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:43 pm
Hmmm, I've always been on 10.1.1 to maintain jailbreak, when did they move Auto-Brightness to Display Accommodations in Accessibility?

I never liked that feature but on the X, it's pleasingly accurate. Not sure if it's because the notch is constantly reading the ambient light.
iOS 11 hides the Auto-Brightness setting
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/09/28 ... hone-ipad/

Apple does not want anyone to turn this off...

To minimize the effects of long-term use and extend the viewing life of the Super Retina display, iOS 11 hides the Auto-Brightness setting deep inside the Accessibility section where ordinary users are less likely to stumble upon and accidentally toggle off this setting.
from http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/11/03 ... lor-shift/
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1967 posts
936 upvotes
Oakville, ON
arvind84 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 10:26 am
FYI for those considering a Mujjo case, I got hit with duties of $24 on my order of a case and touchscreen gloves.
Ouch! Thanks for the warning. How do you like the case? Card sleeve or bare version?
Nov 6, 2015
191 posts
274 upvotes
Oakville
CanadianLurker wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 10:30 am
Ouch! Thanks for the warning. How do you like the case? Card sleeve or bare version?
Bare leather case. I haven't opened it yet, will report back.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2011
1144 posts
99 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
They are offering recalls on their phones while offering replacements with ones that do not?
What the??
They already knew about this defect in their phone with ones that were already prebuilt with the fix?
Does not make much sense if only they wanted those phones to be ready upon release date while building the replacement ones.
Apple fail?Neutral Face
And I thought Samsung was bad at customer complaints on their products from last year's Note 8 battery failure.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15727 posts
4449 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
arvind84 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 10:26 am
That sucks. When did you order?

I’ve ordered like 3 times and never been hit but I might just have a horseshoe up my ass
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1004 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 2:44 am
I agree, iPhones hold value pretty well, but my gut feeling is that this is more of an exception year than anything. Future iPhones will have the notch and go down in price to replace the current small and plus models of the iPhone.
I understand your reasoning, but I don't think next year's iPhones will go down in price at all. The X successor will stay the same, and the Plus model, if there is one, will be even more. Apple has already established that people are more than happy to pay these new price points so there's no reason for them to drop them. Look what's happened with the new Macbook Pros. 15" MBP's used to start in the low $2XXX range, and now the lower of the two touchbar 15" models starts at $3299.

Additionally, the flagship phones for other companies aren't far behind.....look at the MSRP on the S8/S8+, Note 8 and Pixel 2 XL.....and they all have less built-in memory.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

drevil0208