Tags:
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10227 posts
3040 upvotes
Toronto, ON
milhaus wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:23 am
Do you have optimize storage turned on? To be honest, I probably don’t need 256GB either; there’s a ton of garbage I’m just hoarding on this phone (games, apps, music, read audiobooks etc.) that I could do without. But I’d rather not think about it.
If you plan to shoot video @ 4K, wouldn't it make sense to get the 256GB version?
Jan 29, 2013
649 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
This X pricing has thrown me for a loop, just like many here. I was actually holding on to my iPhone 5 for a very long time, waiting for an iPhone with an OLED display. Since the 5 was really starting to show its age, when the 7 came out, I bought a 6 (off of a fellow RFD member) to get me by. Now the X is here with the OLED display I wanted, but that price... Assessing whether I maybe want to wait another year or so and see when the OLED displays get adopted across additional models.

Apple definitely didn't make these decisions easy!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14109 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
qualdoth wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:45 am
Nope, I have a 6 and it's completely fine, speed wise (although I have not compared it to a 6S or 7)
I don't have the 6 so I can't say for sure myself, but I've noticed on the forums that there are a LOT of complaints about the 6 on iOS 11 Beta 10 (which is effectively the GM), but even moreso about the 6 Plus, saying that it's noticeably more laggy than on iOS 10. The 6s / 6s+ is much more responsive, which isn't surprise given not only the faster SoC, but the fact it has twice as much RAM as the 6 / 6+.
rvs007 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:01 am
If you plan to shoot video @ 4K, wouldn't it make sense to get the 256GB version?
Depends on what you shoot and how often. I shoot 4K of my kids, but only 10 second to 2 minute clips. 128 GB is more than enough. Also, the new HEVC video format helps save space, since it uses roughly 40% less bytes than h.264 at the same quality. With HEVC, I could even scrape by with 64 GB, but that wouldn't be very pleasant. For 4Kp30 (on my 7 Plus), 128 GB is perfect for my usage, and 256 GB is overkill.
Last edited by EugW on Sep 13th, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15609 posts
4371 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
qualdoth wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:01 am
This X pricing has thrown me for a loop, just like many here. I was actually holding on to my iPhone 5 for a very long time, waiting for an iPhone with an OLED display. Since the 5 was really starting to show its age, when the 7 came out, I bought a 6 (off of a fellow RFD member) to get me by. Now the X is here with the OLED display I wanted, but that price... Assessing whether I maybe want to wait another year or so and see when the OLED displays get adopted across additional models.

Apple definitely didn't make these decisions easy!

I think the storage issue will leave a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths when considering upgrading to the X.

It's one thing to charge $1319 for the base model X but then to f you on the storage options...in essence forcing you to pay $210 more for anything above 64gb is a bit much to handle. People that currently have a 7 will have a tough time deciding what to do.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14109 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:05 am
I think the storage issue will leave a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths when considering upgrading to the X.

It's one thing to charge $1319 for the base model X but then to f you on the storage options...in essence forcing you to pay $210 more for anything above 64gb is a bit much to handle. People that currently have a 7 will have a tough time deciding what to do.
My decision with the 7 Plus is easy. I'm skipping Generation X entirely.
Jan 29, 2013
649 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:05 am

Agreed, the base model should have really been 128GB storage. I'm only using 40GB on my 6 right now, but if I get an X, I'm planning on using it for a few years, so would want to future-proof with a 256GB.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2403 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
People complain about iPhone pricing every year, but yet will find a way, whether accepting a higher monthly price or just paying up for the iPhone.

Apple knows this and thus the pricing structure on the X.

First people boo'ed and moaned at the based 16 GB option, so Apple removed it and updated it, and now more moans about no middle ground.

The X is aimed at Apple brand ambassadors and enthusiasts.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14109 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:21 am
People complain about iPhone pricing every year, but yet will find a way, whether accepting a higher monthly price or just paying up for the iPhone.

First people boo'ed and moaned at the based 16 GB option, so Apple removed it and updated it, and now more moans about no middle ground.

This is the first year I've noticed that lots of brand ambassadors and enthusiasts just said "Forget that!" based a lot on cost, myself included.

But it won't matter that much to Apple, since their supply will be heavily constrained anyway.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15609 posts
4371 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
qualdoth wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:11 am
Agreed, the base model should have really been 128GB storage. I'm only using 40GB on my 6 right now, but if I get an X, I'm planning on using it for a few years, so would want to future-proof with a 256GB.
I think it might be a covert way to push people away from the X (which will be in short supply) and towards the 8 (which will be their bread and butter). They probably don’t care about giving people reasonable storage options on the X because they know it will sell out regardless. So people will just be satisfied with an 8. This will be much more prevalent in the US where Apple has the leasing program and many will just hand in their 7 for an 8.
Firebolt wrote:
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2986 posts
223 upvotes
Watch this thing be out of stock for months after release and go on Kijiji for 2K...
Apple has succeeded a tour de force here, they managed to make the 8 and 8+ look like a bargain with the introduction of the X...

Cheers,
EugW wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:30 am
This is the first year I've noticed that lots of brand ambassadors and enthusiasts just said "Forget that!" based a lot on cost, myself included.

But it won't matter that much to Apple, since their supply will be heavily constrained anyway.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15609 posts
4371 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:21 am

The reason for moans is because apple basically took the perfect storage option off the table. So for people that wanted a 128gb X for $1430ish they gave a big f u and said ‘sorry guys you’ll have to shell out $1530 for a 256gb X’. If the phone was around $1k to begin with it might not make a massive difference but when you’re getting up into the mid $1ks, people seriously start to question their sanity for dropping that kind of coin on a phone. At that price point every $50-100 increase makes the end price that much less palatable.
Firebolt wrote:
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2403 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:39 am
The reason for moans is because apple basically took the perfect storage option off the table. So for people that wanted a 128gb X for $1430ish they gave a big f u and said ‘sorry guys you’ll have to shell out $1530 for a 256gb X). If the phone was around $1k to begin with it might not make a massive difference but when you’re getting up into the mid $1ks, people seriously start to question their sanity for dropping that kind of coin on a phone.
Maybe they followed Google's pricing plans with the Pixel and Pixel XL last year.

Only offered in 32 or 128, no middle ground 64.

And the 128 was around 1250 before taxes.

Yet the phone has been and continues to be sold out.

Apple probably thought if Google could do it with their first 'Google Device' they could succeed themselves with the X.

The X will be sold out for months just like the 7 Plus 256 Jet Black.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14109 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:43 am
Maybe they followed Google's pricing plans with the Pixel and Pixel XL last year.

Only offered in 32 or 128, no middle ground 64.

And the 128 was around 1250 before taxes.

Yet the phone has been and continues to be sold out.

Apple probably thought if Google could do it with their first 'Google Device' they could succeed themselves with the X.

The X will be sold out for months just like the 7 Plus 256 Jet Black.
Google Pixel had low supply... much like the X will have low supply initially. So, yeah, they will sell out, but comparative volumes will not be high... which I guess is OK for a top price tier product.

Note though that I suspect 2018 will bring a revamped and faster, more reliable Face ID along with a lower price. In any case, I see no reason to upgrade either my wife's 6s or my 7 Plus at this time.
Jul 19, 2010
14 posts
4 upvotes
If I'm Google, I'm dropping the price of the Pixel to as low as I can without facing a competition bureau dumping investigation one day before the X drops.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3610 posts
602 upvotes
Brampton ON
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 8:04 pm

iPhone X Pre-order starts at 12:01 a.m. PDT on 10.27
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-x

iPhone 8 Pre-order starts at 12:01 a.m. PDT on 9.15
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-8

Compare iPhone models
https://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/compare/
iPhone 8 should be iPhone 7s
iPhone x should be iPhone 8
As-salamu alaykum
Freedom Mobile $21 10gb
BYOP ( Plan * 24months + Phone )
Contract ( Plan * 24months - Phone - GC )

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 2 guests)

nasa25, iPhoneSTER, adosal