Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2403 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:54 am
Google Pixel had low supply... much like the X will have low supply initially. So, yeah, they will sell out, but comparative volumes will not be high... which I guess is OK for a top price tier product.

Note though that I suspect 2018 will bring a revamped and faster, more reliable Face ID along with a lower price. In any case, I see no reason to upgrade either my wife's 6s or my 7 Plus at this time.
It also comes down to the carrier incentives.

For example, looks like Rogers will be carrying the iPhone X.

Outside of the fixed contract pricing, you can always negotiate a discount/goodwill credit towards these phones.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2403 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
mrmcwn wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:58 am
If I'm Google, I'm dropping the price of the Pixel to as low as I can without facing a competition bureau dumping investigation one day before the X drops.
Google Pixel 2 won't be a drastic upgrade.

So far consensus is that it will have the same processor as the S8 from earlier, no waterproof/dustproof and still a chin on it.

It'll just come with Oreo on it and have the new squeezable frame on it.

It will lack the stereo speakers/dual cameras, but Google will price it higher due to the demand like last year.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4208 upvotes
Southern Ontario
rvs007 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:01 am
If you plan to shoot video @ 4K, wouldn't it make sense to get the 256GB version?
+1 The last vacation video I made, I had to delete educational vids I previously loaded to make room for more personal 4K clips. And my clips aren't long, just lots of them that I choose, trim and stitch together. I'm looking forward to 256.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4208 upvotes
Southern Ontario
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:56 pm
is yours slowing down with every iOS update?
My young kids are on 6 and 5C, I think they're still on jailbroken 9.x, zippy. Part of the reason I refuse to update them and not to lose jb of course, which allows a higher level of parental control.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26150 posts
6047 upvotes
GTHA
iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus Canadian carrier 2-year pricing revealed
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/13/ipho ... -revealed/
Canadian carriers, such as Bell, Telus, SaskTel and Rogers have confirmed they will sell the iPhone X.

In addition, the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus will all be available across most carriers, including Videotron, Fido, Koodo, Virgin and BellMTS. Most carriers will reveal pricing on the pre-order date but Best Buy Canada has revealed the 2-year contract price for the two iPhone 8 models.

Here is what you can expect for each model. As usual, things could change before September 15th.

- Apple iPhone 8 64GB: $229.99
- Apple iPhone 8 256GB: $429.99

- Apple iPhone 8 Plus 64GB: $359.99
- Apple iPhone 8 Plus 256GB: $559.99

This pricing reflects Rogers, Bell Telus, and Virgin Mobile. On Fido and Koodo Mobile, both devices are $200 more.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1953 posts
931 upvotes
Oakville, ON
qualdoth wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:01 am
This X pricing has thrown me for a loop, just like many here. I was actually holding on to my iPhone 5 for a very long time, waiting for an iPhone with an OLED display. Since the 5 was really starting to show its age, when the 7 came out, I bought a 6 (off of a fellow RFD member) to get me by. Now the X is here with the OLED display I wanted, but that price... Assessing whether I maybe want to wait another year or so and see when the OLED displays get adopted across additional models.

Apple definitely didn't make these decisions easy!
I was just going to post more or less this comment! I'm on a 6 now since October 2014. That's 3 years waiting for a worthy update but here it is now and it's such a high price point it's given me pause for thought. What was a slam dunk "I'm getting a new one when it's released" has become "wait, it costs how much? Gasp".

But how can I continue to be such a Luddite toting around my 6 for another year! The 8 is far more affordable but just seems to be a 6 with lipstick. Decisions, decisions,....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7963 posts
2803 upvotes
Toronto
Not worth upgrading for since I got the 6.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15609 posts
4371 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Re: the carrier pricing (I love threads being merged on the fly)

So in essence a $700 subsidy on each phone then

Rogers gives $700 subsidies on their premium plus tabs but only $500 on the standard premium tab.

So the prices in that article are assuming the highest tab level possible.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2403 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:56 pm
Re: the carrier pricing (I love threads being merged on the fly)

So in essence a $700 subsidy on each phone then

Rogers gives $700 subsidies on their premium plus tabs but only $500 on the standard premium tab.

So the prices in that article are assuming the highest tab level possible.
MobileSyrup is a dump of a site, and every time people refer or link to it just gives them needless hits/ad revenue.

Best way to mitigate your cost of upgrading, is to either either every year by selling current device before the announcement or by holding onto a device for 3+ years.

There's no point in trying to renegotiate at the end of contract term because Robellus keeps raising the plans every year or two to higher platforms based on consumer plans.
Oct 14, 2015
595 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:05 pm
Google Pixel 2 won't be a drastic upgrade.

So far consensus is that it will have the same processor as the S8 from earlier, no waterproof/dustproof and still a chin on it.

It'll just come with Oreo on it and have the new squeezable frame on it.

It will lack the stereo speakers/dual cameras, but Google will price it higher due to the demand like last year.
Smaller Pixel (4.97") will have a chin but will pack stereo front facing speakers and IP68.
Larger Pixel (5.99") will have slimmer bezels and also have stereo front facing speakers and IP68.
Galaxy S7 with Koodo $46 3GB plan
Zoomer $40.5 2GB plan
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2007
1362 posts
372 upvotes
I just don't think this design (the notch) as Apple's long term solution. I can't see them sticking with this design for 2, 3 generations. I just don't see it. If I had to guess they will update it by next year.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15609 posts
4371 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:15 pm
MobileSyrup is a dump of a site, and every time people refer or link to it just gives them needless hits/ad revenue.

Best way to mitigate your cost of upgrading, is to either either every year by selling current device before the announcement or by holding onto a device for 3+ years.

There's no point in trying to renegotiate at the end of contract term because Robellus keeps raising the plans every year or two to higher platforms based on consumer plans.
well from a rogers standpoint, they've pretty much standardized the upgrade system. I remember the days of anarchy back with the 3G-5 where people would just call into retentions again and again until they got a massive discount on the iPhone.

As you've stated, best way to upgrade eveery year is by selling the current device prior to the announcement and then using a beater phone for a few weeks or months. Most people that upgraded to a rogers iPhone 7 on launch day (on a premium tab) can get the 64GB X for $4-600 (depending on value received for your old 7). At that price point, I think quite a few will upgrade (assuming stock is available which is a big IF)
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2403 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
EH15 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:17 pm
I just don't think this design (the notch) as Apple's long term solution. I can't see them sticking with this design for 2, 3 generations. I just don't see it. If I had to guess they will update it by next year.
Rogers Community forums reports the pricing to be around $649 on a 2 Year Premium Plus for the iPhone X 256, maybe $50 more.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2403 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:21 pm
well from a rogers standpoint, they've pretty much standardized the upgrade system. I remember the days of anarchy back with the 3G-5 where people would just call into retentions again and again until they got a massive discount on the iPhone.

As you've stated, best way to upgrade eveery year is by selling the current device prior to the announcement and then using a beater phone for a few weeks or months. Most people that upgraded to a rogers iPhone 7 on launch day (on a premium tab) can get the 64GB X for $4-600 (depending on value received for your old 7). At that price point, I think quite a few will upgrade (assuming stock is available which is a big IF)
Rogers had a crazy program during the 3G to 4 cycle, which is how they gathered a massive consumer base. First to offer the iPhone, first to offer a Apple loyalty upgrade program.

Rogers Activation & Upgrade Pricing

If you activated or upgraded your Rogers iPhone on a contract between January 1, 2009 and June 7, 2010:

You are eligible for at least $250 off the no-term device price. That puts the iPhone 4 16GB for $399 and iPhone 4 32GB for $499 on a new 3-year voice and data plan.
If you activated or upgraded your Rogers iPhone on a contract before December 31, 2008:

You are eligible for $490 off the no-term device price for the iPhone 4 16GB and $480 off the no-term device price for the iPhone 4 32GB (promotional pricing). That puts the iPhone 4 16GB for $159 and iPhone 4 32GB for $269 on a new 3-year voice and data plan.
If you activated or upgraded your Rogers iPhone 3G in 2008 and then upgrade again between June 19, 2009 and September 15, 2009:

You are eligible for $490 off the no-term device price for the iPhone 4 16GB and $480 off the no-term device price for the iPhone 4 32GB (promotional pricing). That puts the iPhone 4 16GB for $159 and iPhone 4 32GB for $269 on a new 3-year voice and data plan.

That saw a lot of iPhone fans upgrading every year and breaking even or making bank on the flip of the older hardware.

Then 4S came out and this program ended, even though Rogers tried to create an upgrade program using Rogers Next.

That got canned after 2 years I believe.

Retention department is dead in the water now, most issues now require escalation to Management Office then to Office of the President.

Easier to just get an OOP plan, pay less monthly, save your dollars so you can upgrade when you want.
Oct 6, 2006
167 posts
86 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:35 am
actually I've used 52.7GB of 128. Offloading unused apps can save me 3.52GB and deleting a tomtom go app that I never use can save another 6.01GB. So I could potentially get down to 43GB. I guess I could make the 64GB work comfortably.

Plus there's like 5-6GB of GTA games that I never play

This is me convincing myself that I need the X
Make up your judgement after you upgrade to iOS 11 ... the file management system is different and it compresses pics/videos better. I saved a few GBs after I updated, I was around low 70s and it went down to high 50s gb. Primarily from my pictures and videos. But then I moved everything to the cloud, monthly costs are pretty cheap, and now im at 31gb. so for me definitely it would be the 64gb.

General question, how would this phone perform on freedom mobile network? it has the band for it. Would be really interesting to see. I mean, if one saves on the monthly bills coming from rogers/bell/telus it would be tempting.
:twisted: May your wallet R.I.P :twisted:

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 3 guests)

nasa25, adosal