Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2403 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:21 pm
For those who have perkopolis accounts, you can get an additional 2% off the MSRP. :)

I think we can also sign into Perkspot to buy on apple.com I think it's also 2% off!
Befriending an Apple employee is your best bet.

They get 15% off, at any level of employment.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:34 am
Quote myself, although that is minor, I'm going to point to the X screen again for the experience and to be able to delineate rich 4K content, wide gamut photography and advertising such as product displays when we online shop more than previous p3 screens.
Ugh, I dislike Apple's marketing. We'll see how well 625-nits typical will do in HDR10/Dolby Vision playback.

Also, spec sheet doesn't say how much P3 coverage. Would be nice if it covered the full AdobeRGB like my laptop and monitors. I think mobile editing apps are a joke though..but it's still nice to have these beefy specs to further justify the price tag
qualdoth wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:01 am
This X pricing has thrown me for a loop, just like many here. I was actually holding on to my iPhone 5 for a very long time, waiting for an iPhone with an OLED display. Since the 5 was really starting to show its age, when the 7 came out, I bought a 6 (off of a fellow RFD member) to get me by. Now the X is here with the OLED display I wanted, but that price... Assessing whether I maybe want to wait another year or so and see when the OLED displays get adopted across additional models.
so you've been waiting for half a decade and will be okay waiting for at least another year?
looks like you just need to be content with LCD or switch to Android if it's that big of a deal.

nasa25 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:31 pm
I think the storage issue will leave a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths when considering upgrading to the X.

It's one thing to charge $1319 for the base model X but then to f you on the storage options...in essence forcing you to pay $210 more for anything above 64gb is a bit much to handle. People that currently have a 7 will have a tough time deciding what to do.
those ready to throw $1300 at a phone probably don't mind spending another 15% to get 4x the storage
bitter taste or not for some...this is gonna be in high demand and low supply
EugW wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:02 am
Depends on what you shoot and how often. I shoot 4K of my kids, but only 10 second to 2 minute clips. 128 GB is more than enough. Also, the new HEVC video format helps save space, since it uses roughly 40% less bytes than h.264 at the same quality. With HEVC, I could even scrape by with 64 GB, but that wouldn't be very pleasant. For 4Kp30 (on my 7 Plus), 128 GB is perfect for my usage, and 256 GB is overkill.
My Xperia from 2015 shot 4K in HEVC, no capacity-saving gains from h.264...this is still a codec in infancy so I would be surprised if Apple's variant gains 40% in savings
Last edited by twitchyzero on Sep 13th, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10004 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Already hearing issues with iPhone X. The face id is not working as smoothly as advertised. Remember the apple dude couldnt open the fone the first time? Appears first reviewers are getting the same shit. Here we go again. Apple starts a new generation of fones and what do you expect - bugs, firmware updates, etc. product cycles move in 4 generations. Looks like iPhone X3 is when everything will be good to go. Dont bust out the wallet yet. I'd wait 6-8 mos after release to see real life reviews.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
^ they still have almost 2 months to iron out some bugs...not saying it'll be absolutely perfect on launch.
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2009
1131 posts
309 upvotes
Richmond Hill
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:48 pm
Already hearing issues with iPhone X. The face id is not working as smoothly as advertised. Remember the apple dude couldnt open the fone the first time? Appears first reviewers are getting the same shit. Here we go again. Apple starts a new generation of fones and what do you expect - bugs, firmware updates, etc. product cycles move in 4 generations. Looks like iPhone X3 is when everything will be good to go. Dont bust out the wallet yet. I'd wait 6-8 mos after release to see real life reviews.
Please provide reference because the keynote was an error and face id was not activated. Pretty much all current videos show face id working as expected.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2009
1131 posts
309 upvotes
Richmond Hill
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:36 pm
Ugh, I dislike Apple's marketing. We'll see how well 625-nits typical will do in HDR10/Dolby Vision playback.

Also, spec sheet doesn't say how much P3 coverage. Would be nice if it covered the full AdobeRGB like my laptop and monitors. I think mobile editing apps are a joke though..but it's still nice to have these beefy specs to further justify the price tag

so you've been waiting for half a decade and will be okay waiting for at least another year?
looks like you just need to be content with LCD or switch to Android if it's that big of a deal.

those ready to throw $1300 at a phone probably don't mind spending another 15% to get 4x the storage
bitter taste or not for some...this is gonna be in high demand and low supply

My Xperia from 2015 shot 4K in HEVC, no capacity-saving gains from h.264...this is still a codec in infancy so I would be surprised if Apple's variant gains 40% in savings
Regarding the HDR10/Dolby Vision, I agree, i was not aware 625 nits was acceptable for this standard.
Last edited by rsxmachine on Sep 13th, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2007
1362 posts
372 upvotes
I don't think FaceID was plan A anyways. I think Plan A was always TouchID embedded in the screen. Unfortunately for them the tech isn't ready yet so they had to resort to this. It's not a matter of if TouchID will return but when.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2009
1131 posts
309 upvotes
Richmond Hill
EH15 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:56 pm
I don't think FaceID was plan A anyways. I think Plan A was always TouchID embedded in the screen. Unfortunately for them the tech isn't ready yet so they had to resort to this. It's not a matter of if TouchID will return but when. Of course Apple will just jerk us around until then.
Very possible, but then the question is why isn't touch id on the back. Apple would have done it, but they wanted to try and move forward with technology. I am confident, unless face id fails (which i highly doubt based on the testing apple has done), touch id will be a thing of the past on future products.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14109 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:36 pm
The 40% spec is a little suspect, but apparently over 30% space savings with HEVC should be considered an expected amount. Lots of people have been shooting with HEVC and HEIC for months now on iPhones, including myself. It's definitely a significant saving, although I haven't measured it exactly.

The only problem is that the new phones can shoot at 4Kp60, which would increase file size even with HEVC.

Here are the claims from Apple:

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/ ... 18735.aspx

rsxmachine wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:55 pm
Regarding the HDR10/Dolby Vision, I agree, i was not aware 625 nits was acceptable for this standard.
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has some sort of dynamic range compression algorithm that works well for their screens. I can tell you that High Sierra in Quicktime will play 10-bit 4K HDR files perfectly on my 12" MacBook's non-HDR screen. I don't get that washed out look, at least for some videos. It looks properly saturated.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2007
1362 posts
372 upvotes
rsxmachine wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:53 pm
Please provide reference because the keynote was an error and face id was not activated. Pretty much all current videos show face id working as expected.

Most of the the first looks I watched showed FaceID working fine, but here's a video where it fails while using 1Password. Starts at 1:00. It works on first open, then fails when he opens his Visa, then works when he retrys. Really nothing definitiive until reviewers get their hands on a unit. I believe all demo units were FaceID-locked to Apple employees yesterday.
Last edited by EH15 on Sep 13th, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
good to know about HEVC working well on Apple products
EugW wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:03 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has some sort of dynamic range compression algorithm that works well for their screens. I can tell you that High Sierra in Quicktime will play 10-bit 4K HDR files perfectly on my 12" MacBook's non-HDR screen. I don't get that washed out look, at least for some videos. It looks properly saturated.
rsxmachine wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:55 pm
HDR needs to be supported at the hardware level...anything else is not doing it justice.

You'll see a lot of displays that cannot reach 1000-nits yet still claiming HDR...that should raise a marketing red flag
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2009
1131 posts
309 upvotes
Richmond Hill
EH15 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:17 pm

Most of the the first looks I watched showed FaceID working fine, but here's a video where it fails while using 1Password. Starts at 1:00. It works on first open, then fails when he opens his Visa, then works when he retrys. Really nothing definitiive until reviewers get their hands on a unit. I believe all demo units were FaceID-locked to Apple employees yesterday.
Ok but honestly, touch ID is the same, it doesn't work 100% of the time.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10227 posts
3040 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AnimeEd wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:06 pm
I'm no Apple fanboy but I am surprised so many people have a problem with the notch. It is pretty easy to see that Apple went for the notch because they wanted round corners on the screen which flows with the round corners on the housing. If they went with a straight bezel on top and round corners on the top then the centre of the radii would be different for the case and the housing.
EugW wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:17 pm
That doesn't make sense. Most of the pics/video space savings come from using new file formats. The pre-existing pictures are not transcoded nor re-compressed. You could save a bit of space for other reasons but not 20 GB worth from multimedia files.

IOW, if you had 20 GB of JPEGs and h.264 files in iOS 10, after the iOS 11 upgrade, you will still have 20 GB of JPEGs and h.264 files. Only your NEW images and videos will be saving space, as HEIC and HEVC files.

Yeah, the notch doesn't bother me that much. I'm surprised too so many people are bothered by it.
I guess I like my photos and videos to be rectangular when I'm looking at it in either portrait and landscape mode. Seeing that notch block part of my photos and/or videos would bug me to no end. It would make more sense for Apple to create a notification area on either side of the notch and keeping it black so it blends in with the rest of the bezel. Then utilize the rest of the screen and not have to contend with the notch showing up and blocking things.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10227 posts
3040 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:48 pm
#Antennagate, #bendgate, #Facegate....
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14109 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
rsxmachine wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:32 pm
Ok but honestly, touch ID is the same, it doesn't work 100% of the time.
TouchID is not perfect, but it seems less awkward. People have reported that FaceID may be less reliable in demos when on the desk. Repositioning for FaceID is more cumbersome than repositioning a finger for TouchID.

The other factor is that TouchID got better with version two. Version 1 in the 5S got better via software by it always remained slow. I suspect that is where we are with FaceID version 1, which makes me wonder if version 2 in iPhone XII might be better and faster.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 1 guest)

nasa25, iPhoneSTER, adosal