Investing

*** The unofficial RBC Direct Investing thread ***

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2018 8:51 am
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1851 posts
398 upvotes
Am thinking of switching from BMOIL to RBCDI due to lots of errors and very slow service at BMO. Am curious how people here rate the service at RBCDI.
Alterna Savings Visa Infinite
2% cold hard cash on everything, no caps, VISA acceptance
48 day medical insurance, trip cxl, trip interrupt
Discuss here
Dec 11, 2011
39 posts
9 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
minimalist wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 12:37 pm
Am thinking of switching from BMOIL to RBCDI due to lots of errors and very slow service at BMO. Am curious how people here rate the service at RBCDI.
I can't say anything about other broker because I've always been with RBC. But can't complain about RBC. So far so good.
Nov 30, 2012
1 posts
Just moved my investments back over to RBCDI from Questrade in the last couple months. With the price drop to $9.95/trade all the time for RBC, and the fact that QT charges ECN fees on trades (which add up), I felt it was a good move. Time will tell!

One thing I recall from trading with RBC in the past, is that when you traded the same stock several times in one day, they would revise the commissions the next day and you'd only get charged one fee for buying and one fee for selling. Do they still do that?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10772 posts
1248 upvotes
Markham
disallow wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 2:59 pm
Just moved my investments back over to RBCDI from Questrade in the last couple months. With the price drop to $9.95/trade all the time for RBC, and the fact that QT charges ECN fees on trades (which add up), I felt it was a good move. Time will tell!

One thing I recall from trading with RBC in the past, is that when you traded the same stock several times in one day, they would revise the commissions the next day and you'd only get charged one fee for buying and one fee for selling. Do they still do that?
I traded more frequently a couple years ago and they never did that for me.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1358 posts
229 upvotes
Montreal
RolandCouch wrote:
Feb 12th, 2017 7:19 pm
Last price is the last price shares were traded at. Your Intraday holdings page may show a different number than the quote page, as the Intraday has a 20 minute time delay unless you have a very high balance or are very actively trading, then I believe it is live - the watch list quotes will be anyway.

But I posted yesterday, Sunday, so it's supposed to be the same number that Friday Close right? It shouldn't change.
Aug 10, 2006
731 posts
259 upvotes
During a set-up of a new RBC DI account, used an old promo code to get 20 FREE trades and 90 days to use them. Use ETY19 or 20W17 with your application set-up to get the promo, i called into DI CSR to confirm code was still working... worth a shot imo.. i used th ETY19 code.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1358 posts
229 upvotes
Montreal
I bought 1596 shares of DLR.U . Now I want to sell them so I convert USD to CAD but I got a warning message about foreign exchange.
RBC is supposed to journal automatically. Is that OK or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Feb 19, 2017
3 posts
Hello,

I stumbled onto this thread and glad to see so much support as there isn't really a "tutorial" for RBC DI. Just a couple of questions I'm wondering if you guys can help me out with:
1. Can I register for an RRSP/TFSA DI account online without calling in?
2. I currently have both an RRSP and TFSA account under the RBC branch. If I were to open an RRSP and/or TFSA now under DI, are these separate from the branch accounts? And would it be possible to transfer funds from those account under the branch to the DI accounts without affecting my contribution limit for the year?
3. When mutual funds pay out dividends/interest/capital gains, are they automatically re-invested to purchase more dividends or are they cashed out? Do I have to call RBC to tell them which option I prefer?

Much appreciated.
Feb 3, 2013
129 posts
51 upvotes
GREENWOOD
MoniTron wrote:
Feb 20th, 2017 10:38 am
Hello,

I stumbled onto this thread and glad to see so much support as there isn't really a "tutorial" for RBC DI. Just a couple of questions I'm wondering if you guys can help me out with:
1. Can I register for an RRSP/TFSA DI account online without calling in?
2. I currently have both an RRSP and TFSA account under the RBC branch. If I were to open an RRSP and/or TFSA now under DI, are these separate from the branch accounts? And would it be possible to transfer funds from those account under the branch to the DI accounts without affecting my contribution limit for the year?
3. When mutual funds pay out dividends/interest/capital gains, are they automatically re-invested to purchase more dividends or are they cashed out? Do I have to call RBC to tell them which option I prefer?

Much appreciated.
1. Yes, but you will need to mail stuff or take to the branch and if you don't have an RBC bank account you may need to fill out forms in branch to verify identity.
2. Yes they are separate accounts and you can transfer them without affecting the contribution limit. You will however need to call to do this.
3. Mutual funds usually re-invest distributions. It depends on the fund though. You can see this in the fund data when you get a quote on the fund. For stocks that offer DRIP (dividend re-investment plans) you can choose when you setup the account to use it or not.

You will also need a windows PC with Adobe acrobat installed to do an online account application. The site is useless for opening new accounts on macOS/iOS/Android.

Hope that helps.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
1308 posts
180 upvotes
anyone having issues after logging into rbc DI? site is super slow and wont load
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1183 posts
84 upvotes
Grimsby
slidxe wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 9:44 am
anyone having issues after logging into rbc DI? site is super slow and wont load
Yes, I am unable to connect right now. Hopefully fixed sudden like :)

Edit. Working as of 10.21 EST :)
Feb 20, 2017
1 posts
Has anybody had this problem today?

I've set a limit order to buy and sell today but somehow they both turn into a market order when it is filled, , ,

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?
Nov 22, 2012
454 posts
184 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Thanks OP. Had to call in today and dialed the regular line and was given a 34 minute wait time. Didn't have my welcome to the royal circle letter so googled and used the royal line from the first post and someone picked up within a ring.

Can't go back to being a regular customer anymore.
Feb 19, 2017
3 posts
I have a question re: buying and selling fund prices, maybe someone can help me with. I've asked RBC and they didn't really give me a satisfactory answer.
I am currently using a Practice Account. My question is re: the discrepancy in the mutual fund unit price when buying and selling vs unit price listed on the stock chart/page (NAV). For example, I bought units from the fund RBF557 on Feb 4 (a Saturday) meaning it should have bought at the closing price of Feb 3 (Friday) which was 18.523. Then I sold them on Feb 26 (Sunday) meaning it should have sold at the closing price of Feb 24 (Friday) which was 19.224. However, this is not true when I checked the 'Activities' page. The price on the 'Activities' page BOTH for when I bought and sold the funds showed up as 17.425. From this, it means that I did not gain any capital, which should not be true as the unit price increased from 18.523 to 19.224 from the time I bought it to the time I sold it. I'm very confused and don't want to start investing real money until I can figure this out.
Mar 14, 2015
154 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal, QC
MoniTron wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 7:27 pm
I have a question re: buying and selling fund prices, maybe someone can help me with. I've asked RBC and they didn't really give me a satisfactory answer.
I am currently using a Practice Account. My question is re: the discrepancy in the mutual fund unit price when buying and selling vs unit price listed on the stock chart/page (NAV). For example, I bought units from the fund RBF557 on Feb 4 (a Saturday) meaning it should have bought at the closing price of Feb 3 (Friday) which was 18.523. Then I sold them on Feb 26 (Sunday) meaning it should have sold at the closing price of Feb 24 (Friday) which was 19.224. However, this is not true when I checked the 'Activities' page. The price on the 'Activities' page BOTH for when I bought and sold the funds showed up as 17.425. From this, it means that I did not gain any capital, which should not be true as the unit price increased from 18.523 to 19.224 from the time I bought it to the time I sold it. I'm very confused and don't want to start investing real money until I can figure this out.
It's the other way around. If you buy/sell the fund during the week-end, you get the price at the closing of the next buisness day (monday). You can never be sure the price you're gonna sell or buy with mutual funds. I suggest you read up on how things are priced and how it works before going at it alone, especially if you want to buy stocks by yourself.