Investing

*** The unofficial RBC Direct Investing thread ***

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 6:57 pm
Feb 19, 2017
3 posts
lamerveille wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 7:47 pm
It's the other way around. If you buy/sell the fund during the week-end, you get the price at the closing of the next buisness day (monday). You can never be sure the price you're gonna sell or buy with mutual funds. I suggest you read up on how things are priced and how it works before going at it alone, especially if you want to buy stocks by yourself.
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize this was the case. However, looking at the chart again this still wouldn't explain why they were both bought and sold at 17.425. I just checked the fund chart and NAV on Feb 6 (the Monday after I bought) was 18.57 and on Feb 27 (the Monday after I sold) was 19.329. Very confused...
May 1, 2005
238 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
iamthebest wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 11:37 pm
I bought 1596 shares of DLR.U . Now I want to sell them so I convert USD to CAD but I got a warning message about foreign exchange.
RBC is supposed to journal automatically. Is that OK or am I doing something wrong?

It will automatically convert the curreny in one or two business days.
Thanks!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40900 posts
9837 upvotes
Is the only way to get the Active Trading platform by doing 30 trades a quarter?

Miss TDW where the account balance was enough to keep one on the Active Trader platform.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1167 posts
202 upvotes
Waiting for an RBCDI cashback promo to transfer my accounts in from BMOIL. It seems like it's been a long time coming so I guess I shouldn't hold my breath...
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40900 posts
9837 upvotes
If we don't have the active trader platform (30 trades in a quarter), are we relegated to checking L1 prices by hitting refresh in the stock order entry page?

The dashboard reflects stale pricing.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10003 posts
942 upvotes
Markham
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 8:17 pm
If we don't have the active trader platform (30 trades in a quarter), are we relegated to checking L1 prices by hitting refresh in the stock order entry page?

The dashboard reflects stale pricing.
250K+ balance should get you live pricing as well.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40900 posts
9837 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:23 pm
250K+ balance should get you live pricing as well.
Sounds better and safer than trading too many times. Will aim for that then... Someday.

Tdw required just $25k before but I don't daytrade anymore haha.
Feb 17, 2017
8 posts
New RBC DI client here

I just started playing with it, I was hoping to see some real trading stuff with charts and shit. A live order book etc.

Instead the buy/sell interface feels like it's out of 1995. The Dashboard is a little better

Is it possible to get some real trading software and 'hook it up' to RBC DI via an API or something? Am I expecting too much?
Apr 24, 2013
195 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Hello, What is the fee if I want to withdraw my money?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1167 posts
202 upvotes
Can anyone currently with RBC DI confirm the following?

1. still not possible to do EFT from cash/margin acct to other FI bank acct. only way is to request cheque.

2. can do EFT online between cash/margin and Royal Bank accts

3. cheque fee and all other admin/maintenance fees waived for Royal Circle clients
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1167 posts
202 upvotes
Has anyone contributed to a RBC DI RESP without having a Royal Bank account? How did you do it? Bill payment?
Jan 14, 2010
514 posts
102 upvotes
minimalist wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 6:43 pm
Has anyone contributed to a RBC DI RESP without having a Royal Bank account? How did you do it? Bill payment?
Yes, I contribute to all of my DI accounts this way. You have to call them and get a couple extra digits of your account number, however (unless you kept your welcome letter; that should have the full 10? digits needed for a bill payment set-up).

Be careful with the RESP however, if you have a multi-child plan. Anything you contribute will be divied up 50/50 (or 33/33/33, etc...) between all kids. This is normally fine, however one of mine is at max contribution (for the CESG), therefore I had to call in after depositing in order to ensure the $$ was credited to the proper child's 'account' within the account (ie: to get the CESG).
Feb 3, 2013
128 posts
49 upvotes
GREENWOOD
minimalist wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 5:48 pm
Can anyone currently with RBC DI confirm the following?

1. still not possible to do EFT from cash/margin acct to other FI bank acct. only way is to request cheque.

2. can do EFT online between cash/margin and Royal Bank accts

3. cheque fee and all other admin/maintenance fees waived for Royal Circle clients
You can also open a savings account, no fee for the first withdrawn each month and no monthly fees. Transfers done from the DI website to RBC accounts are free and instant. Note that you can only transfer out from a cash/margin account online. So if you have TFSA you have to transfer to cash/margin account first.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1167 posts
202 upvotes
cocodc wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 9:06 pm
Yes, I contribute to all of my DI accounts this way. You have to call them and get a couple extra digits of your account number, however (unless you kept your welcome letter; that should have the full 10? digits needed for a bill payment set-up).

Be careful with the RESP however, if you have a multi-child plan. Anything you contribute will be divied up 50/50 (or 33/33/33, etc...) between all kids. This is normally fine, however one of mine is at max contribution (for the CESG), therefore I had to call in after depositing in order to ensure the $$ was credited to the proper child's 'account' within the account (ie: to get the CESG).
Thanks. So contributing to your RESP via your other bank's online banking worked for you with RBC DI? I checked with them and was told not to contribute to an RESP this way as it will not be considered a contribution for grant money. Sounded strange to me. I'm not allowed to have cheques on my account (Alterna Bank eSavings) so I wonder if I can do an RESP contribution at the branch with cash?

***Update***Just got off the phone with RBC DI. Ends up that you can contribution via your other bank's online banking (use 10 digit RBC DI RESP #). Then you have to wait 3 days or so for the money to be deposited to the RESP and then you have to call RBC DI for them to process it as an actual contribution that will attract grant money. Was told grant money will be deposited approx. 6 wks after contribution. At least one of the names on the bank account must match the RESP-middle names, etc. cause a rejection. The other option for me would be setting up a Pre-authorized contribution from Alterna eSavings. No annual option so next infrequent would be quarterly.
Apr 24, 2017
1 posts
Hey guys I did norberts gambit today. I want to know if it was successful. Because most of them say "part filled" instead of filled.

I don't want to end up shorting the stocks. Were the transactions successfu?l or does this mean I still haven't successful bought 2719 shares of DLR?