*** The unofficial RBC Direct Investing thread ***

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 6:57 pm
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2299 posts
1047 upvotes
Vancouver
Anybody know how long it takes for stock splits to reconcile in RBC DI? GEO had 3 for 2 stock split yesterday, but my split shares still have not shown up in my account.
Oct 14, 2015
219 posts
26 upvotes
Drumheller
^^^ I find RBC DI to be very slow on the draw, but they do eventually get things right.
My guess is, probably three days for the split to show up.
Apr 25, 2017
1 posts
ledonguy wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 9:29 pm
Hey guys I did norberts gambit today. I want to know if it was successful. Because most of them say "part filled" instead of filled.

I don't want to end up shorting the stocks. Were the transactions successfu?l or does this mean I still haven't successful bought 2719 shares of DLR?

Yes your order was filled in both directions. It needed 4 operations to complete but RBC will aggregate the operations and you will only be billed 20$ total.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1167 posts
202 upvotes
Does anyone know anything about the "unique DRIP" offered to Royal Circle clients?

I wonder if this means:

1. You do not have to DRIP "all or none" of your stocks

and/or

2. You can DRIP stocks that are not on the regular DRIP list
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40900 posts
9834 upvotes
I keep being asked to change my password when on mobile RBCDI as if there are multiple attempts to sign into my account. It's not even me using the wrong password.

Anyone else have that experience?
Sep 6, 2013
66 posts
9 upvotes
I'm thinking about opening a cash/margin account with RBC DI (mainly because of auto journalling).

In a cash account, am I able to make multiple trades in the same day with the same cash? For example:
1) Norbert's gambit $10,000 USD (Buy DLR in CAD account, sell DLR.U in USD account)
2) Spend all of it on AAA
3) Change mind about AAA, sell for $9,500
4) Buy $9,500 worth of BBB
5) BBB rises to $15,000, sell it
6) Buy $15,000 worth of CCC
And so on and so forth

Will I be "free riding" because I am trading using unsettled cash? Will I need a margin account to be able to make all these trades on the same day? I won't short anything and I technically have enough cash necessary for each step of the trades, so when settlement day comes will they all balance each other out?
Nov 26, 2014
290 posts
57 upvotes
Quebec
mky160 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 4:33 am
I'm thinking about opening a cash/margin account with RBC DI (mainly because of auto journalling).

In a cash account, am I able to make multiple trades in the same day with the same cash? For example:
1) Norbert's gambit $10,000 USD (Buy DLR in CAD account, sell DLR.U in USD account)
And so on and so forth

Will I be "free riding" because I am trading using unsettled cash? Will I need a margin account to be able to make all these trades on the same day? I won't short anything and I technically have enough cash necessary for each step of the trades, so when settlement day comes will they all balance each other out?
I'll let others confirm this, but I'm with RBC DI myself and i'm pretty sure that as long as you don't have a negative balance when T+3 arrives, you are fine and you don't need a margin, but i'm not 100% sure.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1167 posts
202 upvotes
p0nk1n wrote:
May 8th, 2017 2:58 pm
I'll let others confirm this, but I'm with RBC DI myself and i'm pretty sure that as long as you don't have a negative balance when T+3 arrives, you are fine and you don't need a margin, but i'm not 100% sure.
I'm wondering the same thing myself and will see as soon as I try this in my new RBCDI account. But I can tell you that when I did up to Step #2 I got charged margin interest at times at BMO Investorline. They reversed it but gave me a hard time about it and lectured me. One of the reasons I switched my accounts to RBCDI. BMOIL said they had "auto journalling" but it was so slow that I was convinced it was the reason why I was charged margin interest at times.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2299 posts
1047 upvotes
Vancouver
Anybody else having trouble logging into RBC?
Oct 25, 2001
143 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Wow RBC DI site is pretty terrible. Trying to open an account online and it doesn't support Chrome. I try Safari and it still thinks I'm using Chrome. I try to print out a paper form and it forces me to install Acrobat Reader, then still doesn't show the form. I know tech at the banks is antiquated but this is unreal for an external facing site.
Aug 19, 2016
743 posts
259 upvotes
mky160 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 4:33 am

And so on and so forth

You are fine. I do that all the time, even in my registered accounts. Nothing was settled on the same day anyways. All your trades will settle T+3, and as long as the end result doesn't cause you to go overboard, you are fine.
Sep 28, 2011
4 posts
Winnipeg, MB
Miguel Sánchez wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 10:32 am
Wow RBC DI site is pretty terrible. Trying to open an account online and it doesn't support Chrome. I try Safari and it still thinks I'm using Chrome. I try to print out a paper form and it forces me to install Acrobat Reader, then still doesn't show the form. I know tech at the banks is antiquated but this is unreal for an external facing site.
RBC DI works great with Chrome for everything except filling out adobe forms. So for the rare occasion when I need to do that, I flip over and use Internet Explorer. It's quick and easy, stupid yes, but such is technology. I'm not certain but whatever RBC is doing with Adobe and Flash, Chrome doesn't like it. Though, RBC is not the only site I've had troubles with Chrome and Adobe Flash.
Oct 14, 2015
219 posts
26 upvotes
Drumheller
I know that I can ask RBC directly, but don't feel like being "held" for an hour.

If my limit buy order is partial filled;
then I modify the order, and the remainder is filled same day;
am I charged one commission or two?

Thanks in advance!
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1167 posts
202 upvotes
IrwinW wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 1:30 pm
I know that I can ask RBC directly, but don't feel like being "held" for an hour.

If my limit buy order is partial filled;
then I modify the order, and the remainder is filled same day;
am I charged one commission or two?

Thanks in advance!
I would say 2 commissions because you changed the limit prices but why don't you send them a secure message if you don't want to wait on hold?
Oct 14, 2015
219 posts
26 upvotes
Drumheller
minimalist wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 2:47 pm
I would say 2 commissions because you changed the limit prices but why don't you send them a secure message if you don't want to wait on hold?
It usually takes them two to three days to reply. Figured I'd get faster response here - and I did!

Thanks for the answer.