• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2019 5:49 pm
[OP]
Aug 24, 2011
947 posts
318 upvotes
MTL/TO

Unpaid Speeding ticket in 2008 from New York

In April of 2008, I got a speeding ticket near lake George, NY.

All I remember from the officers instructions was that I was going to get the fine amount in the mail.. I never received it.

Assuming my license was suspended at the time as a result of non-payment, will it still remain suspended over 10 years later?

If so, what is the best means to resolve this matter? (ie how to pay this ticket?)
33 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2333 posts
2398 upvotes
GTA
I assume the driver's license you're talking about is from Saskatchewan?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4155 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto
Do NY have jurisdiction to suspend your Ontario license? Probably not. All they will do is forward speeding charges to MTO as we have joint info sharing now. Maybe not 10 years ago.

You will probably goto jail if you do get pulled over in NY for unpaid fines. Best to call them or don't drive in NY.
[OP]
Aug 24, 2011
947 posts
318 upvotes
MTL/TO
At the time my license was from Quebec. Now it's Ontario.

I'd like to drive in NY state again. My question is : after over a decade will it remain suspended in NY?
[OP]
Aug 24, 2011
947 posts
318 upvotes
MTL/TO
derass wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 5:36 pm
I assume the driver's license you're talking about is from Saskatchewan?
What difference does it make? My original question was : do licenses remain suspended in the state in question for unpaid tickets after a decade or so?
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11272 posts
4543 upvotes
Toronto
Good job waiting 11 years to do something about it.

The interest owed would far exceed the fine amount by now
[OP]
Aug 24, 2011
947 posts
318 upvotes
MTL/TO
Swerny wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 6:51 pm
Good job waiting 11 years to do something about it.

The interest owed would far exceed the fine amount by now
No point commenting if you're not providing any answers or help..
Dec 4, 2011
835 posts
228 upvotes
Montreal
I would say the statute of limitations on anything related to that ticket would have expired by now but IANAL
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17737 posts
2387 upvotes
Langley
I think you've got nothing to worry about given that you've got a licence from a different Province. But if you want to know for sure, give them a call and tell them you want to pay your fine. If they can't find how much you owe, then you're in the clear.
Nov 16, 2011
930 posts
615 upvotes
HAMILTON
From Canadian Snowbirds Advisor....

" Denied Entry into the U.S.: If you have been convicted of a traffic violation in your absence and have not paid your fine in any U.S. state, it could hurt your chances of being allowed entry in the United States and could affect your NEXUS standing too!

In addition, if an arrest warrant was issued for the failure to attend court/pay the ticket, then the border officials may arrest you. This would be dependent on the crossing as it is highly unlikely an arrest warrant for traffic offence in New York would be enforced in Michigan due to the cost to send you to New York state.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3498 posts
796 upvotes
Montreal
joshua18 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 5:12 pm
In April of 2008, I got a speeding ticket near lake George, NY.

All I remember from the officers instructions was that I was going to get the fine amount in the mail.. I never received it.

Assuming my license was suspended at the time as a result of non-payment, will it still remain suspended over 10 years later?

If so, what is the best means to resolve this matter? (ie how to pay this ticket?)
Don't sit on a problem for 10 years.....
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10553 posts
1653 upvotes
Toronto
Best to call the relevant office.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2732 posts
1627 upvotes
Montreal
joshua18 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 6:47 pm
At the time my license was from Quebec. Now it's Ontario.

I'd like to drive in NY state again. My question is : after over a decade will it remain suspended in NY?

If you have a different DL now, wouldn't you be a completely different person as far as NY is concerned?
Nov 16, 2011
930 posts
615 upvotes
HAMILTON
" If you have a different DL now, wouldn't you be a completely different person as far as NY is concerned? "

jzmtl... now do you think that this is something you would like to take a chance on with your wife/girlfriend in the car and maybe children ????

Not me.

Frankly, I would get in touch with an American Lawyer, provide him with the full details and see what he can dig up from the applicable licensing agents in New York state. May be worth the $ to just clear it up once and for all........

I think there is a thread on American tickets on here that may give you some ideas.