• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2018 6:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes

Unprofessional HR action?

I applied to a job about a week ago. A few days later I received an email from the HR manager at that company asking me when would be a convenient time to schedule an interview which I promptly responded back. Unfortunately I didn't hear back at all from them for 3 days so I sent them a follow up email saying I was following up with them. When I woke up, I checked my email and noticed they had emailed me really early in the morning asking if I was available to interview in an hour's time. Like seriously?, how am I supposed to get ready and drive all the way to their office in an hour? I thought it was pretty unprofessional of the HR manager to do this. In all of my previous interviews, I never had an hr person suggest I come in an hour after they had emailed me. Most typically offer a few days time so that I could get ready.
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8586 posts
2922 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Let me bottom line it for you - do you want the job or not?

Besides, it's probably not the HR manager that's the problem here, it's the hiring manager. I'll bet it went something like this...

1. You sent the follow-up to the HR manager.
2. The HR manager then sent a follow-up to the hiring manager.
3. The hiring manager completely forgot but said to the HR manager, "I've got some time this morning otherwise, I'm booked for the next few days".
4. The HR manager sent you the e-mail about the quick meeting.

In other words, don't blame the HR manager and if you want the job, get over it.
Feb 19, 2017
317 posts
134 upvotes
wolf30 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:49 pm
I applied to a job about a week ago. A few days later I received an email from the HR manager at that company asking me when would be a convenient time to schedule an interview which I promptly responded back. Unfortunately I didn't hear back at all from them for 3 days so I sent them a follow up email saying I was following up with them. When I woke up, I checked my email and noticed they had emailed me really early in the morning asking if I was available to interview in an hour's time. Like seriously?, how am I supposed to get ready and drive all the way to their office in an hour? I thought it was pretty unprofessional of the HR manager to do this. In all of my previous interviews, I never had an hr person suggest I come in an hour after they had emailed me. Most typically offer a few days time so that I could get ready.
Try to contact the hiring manager directly.
Most HR aren't that qualified so expecting them to be professional is really just depending on luck.
You could grab a fast food worker, dress them up, teach them to talk nice, and they would just be as competent as any random HR person.
Feb 8, 2017
365 posts
151 upvotes
of course it's unprofessional. gives you an idea of what it will be like to work there. probably a good thing you didn't get the message. i'm fairly flexible but emailing with an hours notice is bad. if they wanted you that quickly why not call you instead?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:23 pm
Let me bottom line it for you - do you want the job or not?

Besides, it's probably not the HR manager that's the problem here, it's the hiring manager. I'll bet it went something like this...

1. You sent the follow-up to the HR manager.
2. The HR manager then sent a follow-up to the hiring manager.
3. The hiring manager completely forgot but said to the HR manager, "I've got some time this morning otherwise, I'm booked for the next few days".
4. The HR manager sent you the e-mail about the quick meeting.

In other words, don't blame the HR manager and if you want the job, get over it.
Not anymore, just the way they treat you before you start working for them says wonders about what I can expect if I was working there.

The HR manager didn't even initially respond back to my reply. If I hadn't even sent that follow up email I probably would not have heard back from her. I did send her one more email after she had sent that email requesting an interview in an hour's time saying I just saw it now and asked to reschedule. She didn't even bother to reply back. What a joke.
Feb 4, 2015
191 posts
79 upvotes
York, ON
craftsman wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:23 pm

Pretty much this. Someone their side (manager or HR) dropped the ball, and now you have to chase it.

Yes it sucks, yes it's not entirely professional - but as they hold all the cards, you either deal with it or let your pride stand in the way.

Could be a precursor to the way they operate - or just a one-off. If you like the position, arrange an interview and find out more.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:24 pm
Try to contact the hiring manager directly.
Most HR aren't that qualified so expecting them to be professional is really just depending on luck.
You could grab a fast food worker, dress them up, teach them to talk nice, and they would just be as competent as any random HR person.
I don't have the hiring manager's info. I'm just gonna look for another job, it's not like there's a future working in this job (It's a crappy factory job paying peanuts).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
RaySkunk wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:37 pm
Pretty much this. Someone their side (manager or HR) dropped the ball, and now you have to chase it.

Yes it sucks, yes it's not entirely professional - but as they hold all the cards, you either deal with it or let your pride stand in the way.

Could be a precursor to the way they operate - or just a one-off. If you like the position, arrange an interview and find out more.
I sent the HR manager a follow up email about rescheduling but never heard back from her. I don't have the hiring manager's info. It's a crappy factory job paying peanuts so not like there's a future here.
Feb 4, 2015
191 posts
79 upvotes
York, ON
Sounds like you have your answer. If it's not a career-defining move, the pay is meh and they're being a-holes about it - I wouldn't waste anymore time on them and look elsewhere. Good luck!
Aug 16, 2006
195 posts
53 upvotes
Unprofessional definitely, Unheard of, probably not. This happened to me once. Received a call and then an interview in about an hour. I didn't mind. I went and go the job. It was a retail job.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8586 posts
2922 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wolf30 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:34 pm
Not anymore, just the way they treat you before you start working for them says wonders about what I can expect if I was working there.

The HR manager didn't even initially respond back to my reply. If I hadn't even sent that follow up email I probably would not have heard back from her. I did send her one more email after she had sent that email requesting an interview in an hour's time saying I just saw it now and asked to reschedule. She didn't even bother to reply back. What a joke.
But if you read my theory on the timeline, the HR manager probably hasn't replied as they are waiting for the hiring manager to see when they might have time. I'm not trying to defend their actions as I don't even know who they are but having hired my share of people as a hiring manager, I understand the process.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8586 posts
2922 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
aubgray1 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:31 pm
of course it's unprofessional. gives you an idea of what it will be like to work there. probably a good thing you didn't get the message. i'm fairly flexible but emailing with an hours notice is bad. if they wanted you that quickly why not call you instead?
Calling is a lost art these days as more and more people are less comfortable with a simple phone call.
Feb 4, 2015
191 posts
79 upvotes
York, ON
craftsman wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:57 pm
Calling is a lost art these days as more and more people are less comfortable with a simple phone call.
Quoted for truth.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:55 pm
But if you read my theory on the timeline, the HR manager probably hasn't replied as they are waiting for the hiring manager to see when they might have time. I'm not trying to defend their actions as I don't even know who they are but having hired my share of people as a hiring manager, I understand the process.
Maybe, but I'm not holding my breath.Right now I'm waiting to hear back from another place that I interviewed at yesterday and I have 3 job postings on my laptop that are even closer to my house that is asking for people to immediately start work that I intend to apply to.
Feb 8, 2017
365 posts
151 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:57 pm
fair. maybe i'm too old school :) but i mean based on what OP posted how did the company expect him to come in on such short notice? i guess the company gets enough candidates that it doesn't matter.