Careers

Unprofessional HR action?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2018 6:35 pm
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
wolf30 wrote: I applied to a job about a week ago. A few days later I received an email from the HR manager at that company asking me when would be a convenient time to schedule an interview which I promptly responded back. Unfortunately I didn't hear back at all from them for 3 days so I sent them a follow up email saying I was following up with them. When I woke up, I checked my email and noticed they had emailed me really early in the morning asking if I was available to interview in an hour's time. Like seriously?, how am I supposed to get ready and drive all the way to their office in an hour? I thought it was pretty unprofessional of the HR manager to do this. In all of my previous interviews, I never had an hr person suggest I come in an hour after they had emailed me. Most typically offer a few days time so that I could get ready.
Most likely others who they planned to interview dropped out and they needed another candidate, so you made it above the line

This is to ensure they don't just interview too few candidates for the position.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Walch1102 wrote: Try to contact the hiring manager directly.
Most HR aren't that qualified so expecting them to be professional is really just depending on luck.
You could grab a fast food worker, dress them up, teach them to talk nice, and they would just be as competent as any random HR person.
Savage
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
So you’re applying for a crappy, low paying, dead end factory job, and you’re surprised their HR “team” isn’t terribly organized?

C
Sep 25, 2012
182 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
The HR dept always protects the business.
If you or another employee are under the impression they will be fair and impartial you are grossly mistaken.

The HR even makes recommendations based on performance and habits whether to keep or fire the employee.
Things you say to HR reps are NEVER confidential.

Make no mistake, HR is never an employee's friend.
HR is being paid by the business and serves the business.

There is a reason Michael Scott hated Toby! :P
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2459 posts
489 upvotes
Raggie wrote: So what time did they email you at?
And they need to give you a few days so YOU could get ready??
Common courtesy would seem to indicate so. Do you expect candidates to magically read your emails right when you sent them, send you a reply asking for the business address, wait for you to reply back hoping its within the hour, drop everything they are doing and immediately rush to come to the interview? :facepalm: :facepalm: What if the candidate lived somewhere over 1 hours drive away?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
craftsman wrote: Calling is a lost art these days as more and more people are less comfortable with a simple phone call.
Devil's advocate. Stop living in the past, its not 1876, it's 2018. Get on with the times.

Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
wolf30 wrote: Common courtesy would seem to indicate so. Do you expect candidates to magically read your emails right when you sent them, send you a reply asking for the business address, wait for you to reply back hoping its within the hour, drop everything they are doing and immediately rush to come to the interview? :facepalm: :facepalm: What if the candidate lived somewhere over 1 hours drive away?
Seriously just move on to the next job, seems like this one was low on your list anyway...dream bigger.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
wolf30 wrote: Common courtesy would seem to indicate so. Do you expect candidates to magically read your emails right when you sent them, send you a reply asking for the business address, wait for you to reply back hoping its within the hour, drop everything they are doing and immediately rush to come to the interview? :facepalm: :facepalm: What if the candidate lived somewhere over 1 hours drive away?
So what time was it? What do you consider too early to send you an email? Employers do not need to give a few days notice for an interview. If I were really needing a job, I would welcome an interview the sooner the better. One can't be choosy if they really need a job. And what I would've done was respond to the email or call right away to see if I can arrange a different time.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2459 posts
489 upvotes
Raggie wrote: So what time was it? What do you consider too early to send you an email? Employers do not need to give a few days notice for an interview. If I were really needing a job, I would welcome an interview the sooner the better. One can't be choosy if they really need a job. And what I would've done was respond to the email or call right away to see if I can arrange a different time.
Doesn't really matter when it was sent, giving a candidate exactly 1 hour to come in for an interview without providing directions in the email is absurd. The issue is not with when the email was sent, the issue is they only provided an hours notice to come in. If they really wanted me to come in right away, a phone call would have been a much better option. No, they don't but at least a few hours notice (i.e. they email you say 8-9am, and ask you to come in later at 2-3pm) would be a lot better then telling you to come in an hour after emailing you.
If you read my later post, that's exactly what I did asking to reschedule for a different time but the recruiter ignored my email and didn't bother to respond back. Sounds like a great place to work at eh?
Last edited by wolf30 on Mar 14th, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yeah no, nowhere in the world is an hours notice acceptable. If it wasn't a factory job I would say they were trying to see how desperate you are/ really are **** with you.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
radeonboy wrote: Devil's advocate. Stop living in the past, its not 1876, it's 2018. Get on with the times.

Face With Tears Of Joy
If you are going to take shots from the peanut gallery, at least get your facts straight! The phone was invented in 1849 (not 1876) by Antonio Meucci (not Bell but Bell received a US patent for it in 1876).
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
craftsman wrote: If you are going to take shots from the peanut gallery, at least get your facts straight! The phone was invented in 1849 (not 1876) by Antonio Meucci (not Bell but Bell received a US patent for it in 1876).
Alexander Graham Bell makes world’s first telephone call
This Day in World History March 10, 1876
Alexander Graham Bell Makes World’s First Telephone Call

Alexander Graham Bell's Experimental Notebook, March 10, 1876. Source: Library of Congress.
“Mr. Watson,” Alexander Graham Bell said into the mouthpiece, “come here — I want to see you.” Thomas Watson, Bell’s collaborator, heard the words in another room over the receiver. And the world’s first telephone call was complete.

https://blog.oup.com/2012/03/alexander- ... hone-call/

P.S. Where did I ever say that the telephone was invented in 1876? Or did you just pull that from thin air? You posted about making a phone call did you not? I responded by stating when the first phone call was made.

So I got my facts straight, and you got your assumptions wrong by jumping to conclusions.
craftsman wrote: Calling is a lost art these days as more and more people are less comfortable with a simple phone call.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
radeonboy wrote: Alexander Graham Bell makes world’s first telephone call
This Day in World History March 10, 1876
Alexander Graham Bell Makes World’s First Telephone Call

Alexander Graham Bell's Experimental Notebook, March 10, 1876. Source: Library of Congress.
“Mr. Watson,” Alexander Graham Bell said into the mouthpiece, “come here — I want to see you.” Thomas Watson, Bell’s collaborator, heard the words in another room over the receiver. And the world’s first telephone call was complete.

https://blog.oup.com/2012/03/alexander- ... hone-call/

P.S. Where did I ever say that the telephone was invented in 1876? Or did you just pull that from thin air? You posted about making a phone call did you not? I responded by stating when the first phone call was made.

So I got my facts straight, and you got your assumptions wrong by jumping to conclusions.
Savage

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)