PC & Video Games

Unreal Tournament Is Coming Back!

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2014 3:26 pm
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
PC is a cheaters heaven. You get access to all the files and dlls etc. You can't do that on a console.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
2038 posts
1483 upvotes
Montreal
Buggy166 wrote:
May 9th, 2014 10:46 am
Im a bit iffy on the free thing. Theres lotsa cheaters on pc vs console, and free means little to no active anti cheat protection development.
Not necessarily. I'm not sure if everyone had seen it, but in the post regarding UT being free, they say that they'll be selling mods/content created by the community, part of the money goes to the creators, and part of it goes to Epic Games. That could potentially mean that people can own their own servers, purchase mods/content and put them on their server. Similar to custom CS servers, TF2 servers, etc. Obviously, that won't keep cheaters out, but custom servers comes active admins/moderators/people with enough power to kick others.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17766 posts
2928 upvotes
Toronto
M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

I hope this is true to the classics and they don't mess it up somehow. I have lots of fond memories playing the old games.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Aug 20, 2009
7170 posts
1880 upvotes
Grimsby
TheBatManRising wrote:
May 9th, 2014 11:30 am
PC is a cheaters heaven. You get access to all the files and dlls etc. You can't do that on a console.
And yet people are cheating on consoles anyway. Also you need memory access much more than you need simple file access on a PC, most games have integrity checks. PC anti-cheat is also much more prevalent and banwaves are frequent. Cheating is a fact of life in multiplayer on all platforms and it doesn't ruin any of them, I've been playing multiplayer PC games since you were probably in diapers.

Getting back on topic and away from the ***** posting from people who won't even play this, I really hope there is a strong focus on user created content and maps. The trend of locking down tools and MP stuff is depressing in the FPS space. It sounds like they're embracing it but I hope it isn't just lip service.
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
I've never run across a single person cheating on console. I think the use of anti-cheating on PC is because of how prevalent cheating is. Look at Dark Souls on Pc, what a disaster. They are finally using VAC now. Which is exactly it. Console games don't need that kind of aggressive anti-cheating system because there is almost no cheating. PC has SO MUCH cheating that there are all these systems in place trying desperately to deal with it. A HUGE problem, and getting worse.

Obviously FromSoftware was new to PC, and they assumed (like console) that there would be no cheating. Naturally they see the insane amount of cheating that is going on, they have no choice but to use an anti-cheating system.

Console is so much safer.
Aug 20, 2009
7170 posts
1880 upvotes
Grimsby
TheBatManRising wrote:
May 9th, 2014 2:49 pm
I've never run across a single person cheating on console.
Given your penchant for discussing things without experience that doesn't impress me. I've played several console MP games and I've run into cheaters. Not as frequently as the PC but they are there. Go look on Youtube and Google if you need evidence since you seem so fond of using them as a substitute for experience.
Console games don't need that kind of aggressive anti-cheating system because there is almost no cheating.
No because there is cheating.
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
Fine but I'm just saying I think PC has more cheating. I mean, how can a person even cheat on console? The game is on a disc, you can't modify or hack any files, etc.

I know some games install, but you can't go digging and editing files on PS3 like you can on PC. I don't really see how its even possible to cheat on console, unless you are taking advantage of some game error or glitch that is already there.... :eek:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7097 posts
3373 upvotes
Toronto
PS3 and Wii multiplayer games are full of cheaters because of CFW and console devs couldn't be bothered to deal with them
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7097 posts
3373 upvotes
Toronto
TheBatManRising wrote:
May 9th, 2014 3:03 pm
you can't go digging and editing files on PS3 like you can on PC. :
of course you can, it's called Custom firmware and tens of thousands of PS3 and Wii owners use it. You can even write and run hack apps that work in the background while your games run. Stop typing so much without even knowing what you're talking about
Aug 20, 2009
7170 posts
1880 upvotes
Grimsby
People have also figured out how to bring hacked items into games through save game editing.
Stop typing so much without even knowing what you're talking about
Exactly. I'm tired of all of the negative PC trolls from you, I am going to start coming down hard in responses since being patient and explaining things to you doesn't seem to alleviate the trolling.
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
I can see the save game hacking actually, that makes sense. I'm assuming you save on a USB then open on PC and modify or whatever. But still, what about actual game files (I mean installation files) on the console. I don't think you can easily hack those....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7097 posts
3373 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
May 9th, 2014 3:09 pm
Exactly. I'm tired of all of the negative PC trolls from you, I am going to start coming down hard in responses since being patient and explaining things to you doesn't seem to alleviate the trolling.
Uhhh that wasn't intended for me was it? Assuming you meant the other guy, I don't think he's trolling, I think he just genuinely doesn't know what he's talking about and believes what he's saying
Aug 20, 2009
7170 posts
1880 upvotes
Grimsby
You don't need to modify installation files to cheat in a multiplayer game and you are totally clueless, stop while you're behind.
Uhhh that wasn't intended for me was it? Assuming you meant the other guy, I don't think he's trolling, I think he just genuinely doesn't know what he's talking about and believes what he's saying
Yeah no sorry, it was meant for Batman. He trolls about the PC constantly, trust me, I am one of the more patient people around here and I'm fed up with it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7097 posts
3373 upvotes
Toronto
TheBatManRising wrote:
May 9th, 2014 3:12 pm
I can see the save game hacking actually, that makes sense. I'm assuming you save on a USB then open on PC and modify or whatever. But still, what about actual game files (I mean installation files) on the console. I don't think you can easily hack those....
You can do literally ANYTHING to the PS3 OS files and game files when running CFW and people do it all the time. You can download and/or create apps and games not endorsed by Sony and run them on your system. There are entire websites and communities dedicated to doing exactly that. For example http://www.ps3hax.net/