• Nov 12th, 2017 10:09 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3348 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton

Unverified Negative Tripadvisor Comments Being Deleted (Newspaper report]

Travellers reporting crimes on Tripadvisor are having their posts deleted according to a newspaper report, NPR online has a summary and a link to the original story.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... l-sentinel

Obviously crimes should be reported to local police, and they can happen anywhere. Really hard to judge the safety of a specific resort based of a couple of travel reviews. Still, when there is what sounds like a serial rapist working security, might be useful information.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Nov 2nd, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improve accuracy of title
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
25 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3995 posts
476 upvotes
Thornhill
Absolutely true. They also do the same thing with negative reviews. I posted a few reviews of hotels and they were deleted because they thought what I posted was "too serious of an allegation" - basically some resorts would write fake reviews for themselves and I saw staff doing that... I brought it up and sent emails to Tripadvisor and they did nothing. My forum posts about it were deleted as well.

Same thing about Yelp.ca another HUGE scam site that picks and chooses what to show and what to hide. There are literally scam businesses with 20-30 1-star reviews and they are ALL hidden and that business would have 1-2 fake 5-star reviews and the businesses would have a 5-star rating. When someone left a negative review Yelp also tried to persuade me to sign up for their advertising package which includes this service where I can ask them to remove or hide reviews. Extremely unprofessional

BBB (Better Business Bureau) another scam site which has nothing to do with the government as some still think! Some years ago I got a call from them to sign up for advertising which also included bad reviews removal. Any attempts in the past to put some reviews against a few scam businesses failed as they would not post bad reviews!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6087 posts
907 upvotes
Mississauga
Yelp deleted ALL my reviews. I see Yelp reviews from the same people all the time who have over 500 or so reviews. Those are the ones I ignore.

For TripAdvisor, I just read a few of the negative reviews to see what it's all about. I mostly look at the current Travellers photos to get a sense of the place.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
MonctonMan wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 5:41 pm
Travellers reporting crimes on Tripadvisor are having their posts deleted according to a newspaper report, NPR online has a summary and a link to the original story.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... l-sentinel

Obviously crimes should be reported to local police, and they can happen anywhere. Really hard to judge the safety of a specific resort based of a couple of travel reviews. Still, when there is what sounds like a serial rapist working security, might be useful information.
Whoa, Whoa ,Whoa. Trip advisor is deleting or editing unproven reports and comments. I am not defending Tripadvisor but the OP's title is misleading and not correct. "Negative" comments are not being deleted. Those that report crimes may be.
" TripAdvisor says it has changed its rules about reviews that contain allegations of rape or other crimes," https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7769 ... from-site/

You cannot accuse anything and hope that it stays online. If it is proven crct,then by all means, it will be accepted by Tripadvisor.
"The company is also starting what it calls a “badge” notification system to alert travellers to serious safety, health or discrimination issues at hotels and other businesses based on news reports" https://globalnews.ca/news/3840882/trip ... er-crimes/
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1480 posts
788 upvotes
Agree 100% with @Pete_Coach

THIS IS NOT NEWS... this has been a TripAdvisor Policy since day one.

Its all about legal ramifications for the website (libel & slander). People cannot go around posting stuff that is criminal in nature without substantiated proof.

Its all in the fine print ...

It is not so much the posting & discussion of such things (goes on pretty openly in the TripAdvisor Forums Section too) it Is naming names... or people who are posting a review based on hearsay or second hand info. All against the guidelines.

Those types of posts have always been DELETED by TBTB ... every once in awhile a news story like this surfaces, cause someone who has had their post removed, goes to the media to complain.

Lol... Want a real hotbed of discussion... check out the sister site to TripAdvisor, Cruise Critic, and posts that go up about legal issues concerning cruise lines... or when someone goes missing from a Ship (suicide, foul play, etc)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
Raggie wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 7:13 pm
Yelp deleted ALL my reviews. I see Yelp reviews from the same people all the time who have over 500 or so reviews. Those are the ones I ignore.

For TripAdvisor, I just read a few of the negative reviews to see what it's all about. I mostly look at the current Travellers photos to get a sense of the place.
Why would you ignore reviews from frequent reviewers? Just because they have a lot of reviews means they have no credibility?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1480 posts
788 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 9:09 am
Why would you ignore reviews from frequent reviewers? Just because they have a lot of reviews means they have no credibility?
Ya when it comes to volume I tend to shy the opposite direction... It's the one hit wonders who tend to be more of an issue.

Used to be that Companies (Hotels - Restaurants - Attractions) on TA were not allowed to solicit for Reviews... Now it goes on all the time "Review us on TripAdvisor" commonly said, and some places even hand out business cards with links... Or go so far as to ASSIST Customers right on sight to sign up & leave a Review (think this last one is still against TA Policy, but still it happens)

Those things are often done by folks who join and post only one Review ever, cause the Company in return for the Positive Review gave them something in return ... Like Loyalty Points.

One hit wonders I most definitely steer away from

I used to travel a lot for work, and over the years I met similar folks who also travelled a lot, not uncommon to find they posted plenty of Reviews on TripAdvisor, I never saw the need myself... But I certainly appreciated that they did... Cause frequent Travellers are often TA's best resource for ongoing info in this industry sector (Lobby under Reno - Housekeeping slipping - Maintenance needed etc). Likewise I find there are other great Review Sites (some also owned by the Expedia Group like TA is) that has good info for Cruisers, and Frequent Flyers. I always consult / take a quick look before I book nowadays.

Mind you I have also found that the best info is in the photos, and also lies somewhere in the middle between the highs & lows of the written word.

Raggie wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 7:13 pm

See my comments above...

And although not that familiar with Yelp... Wondering if they deleted your Reviews cause you are a Food Blogger / Online Reviewer (as per your byline here)

Know the same happens on TripAdvisor, especially so if the info is identical to what's on your Blog.

Has to do with the copyright...in that the info appears elsewhere on the Internet, and therefore not original... Even if it was you that wrote it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6087 posts
907 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 9:09 am
I tend to rely on reviewers that have a handful of reviews eg. 15 or 20 or so.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
Raggie wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:08 am
I tend to rely on reviewers that have a handful of reviews eg. 15 or 20 or so.
Why? If they quit reviewing after 15 or 20 it makes them a good reviewer or, if they carry on and review more makes them bad?

I traveled a lot, primarily for work bit also for pleasure and because I used Tripadvisor, I started to contribute. I have more then 20 and think my reviews are honest and fair. I do not review every pale I visit but, if it is worth noting, I submit.

So, because I have more then 20 reviews, my comments or reviews are not useful?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6087 posts
907 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:12 am
Why? If they quit reviewing after 15 or 20 it makes them a good reviewer or, if they carry on and review more makes them bad?

I traveled a lot, primarily for work bit also for pleasure and because I used Tripadvisor, I started to contribute. I have more then 20 and think my reviews are honest and fair. I do not review every pale I visit but, if it is worth noting, I submit.

I'm referring to YELP. Taking the example of restaurants, when a new restaurant opens in my area, I take a look at the Yelp reviews. The first ones I notice who always seem to be the first to review these new restaurants are always the same few individuals (with hundreds of reviews under their belt). Makes me wonder if they are paid to visit these new restaurants.

I can't tell you about TripAdvisor, with that I mostly rely on the photos.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1480 posts
788 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:23 am
I'm referring to YELP. Taking the example of restaurants, when a new restaurant opens in my area, I take a look at the Yelp reviews. The first ones I notice who always seem to be the first to review these new restaurants are always the same few individuals (with hundreds of reviews under their belt). Makes me wonder if they are paid to visit these new restaurants.

Like I said, not that familiar with Yelp... Although I sometimes look at it if going somewhere that I have not been

I get your concern... Valid

But don't you also find as a Food Blogger that being a foodie is a real hobby for some folks, and their entertainment / social life is intertwined. Always out on the town, trying out new recipes, grocery stores, food items, cooking gadgets etc.

So I could totally see where a new place opens and they flock enmasse to check it out. One person says its good, and then everyone else has to go see / report their opinion. Exactly how a new place becomes THE IT PLACE.

As a blogger does not your own food hobby revolve around social media and word of mouth too ?

What if everyone doubted your content cause you were "too involved / passionate"... Makes no sense to me.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
Raggie wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:23 am

Yelp is primarily a restaurant review site (trying to become more) where as Tripadvisor is primarily travel and hotel (also trying to be more).
I think there are followers of both.
I would think that Yelp is a site for mainly foodies in that city and that is why you would see the same reviewers time and again. I can see the same foodies reviewing all the newest trendiest eateries en mass. I actually think that those folks would have a very good perspective of the establishments as they have many others to compare with.
Trippadvisor, on the other hand, may have reviewers with many reviews but they are generally cities or countries and even continents apart.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7879 posts
565 upvotes
Thanks OP for sharing the article. There's some points to think about and consider. There's an inherent conflict of interest when you consider TripAdvisor makes money off of the same hotels they are showing you reviews to.

There's a surprisingly high number of positive reviews for almost all hotels. And there's been many instances of people claiming their reviews were deleted.

Homestars has a similar issue for the home renovation market.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
Stock R wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 9:57 pm
Thanks OP for sharing the article. There's some points to think about and consider. There's an inherent conflict of interest when you consider TripAdvisor makes money off of the same hotels they are showing you reviews to.

There's a surprisingly high number of positive reviews for almost all hotels. And there's been many instances of people claiming their reviews were deleted.

Homestars has a similar issue for the home renovation market.
The "shared" article is really no news at all. It is essentially reiterating tripadvisor policy.
I was curious about that as well so I did a little reading instead of just agreeing with rumours and hearsay. I think people are mislead about how Tripadvisor makes it's money. They get somewhere around 50 million clicks per month. That gets them a lot of advertising money.
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-trip ... ks-2011-12
https://unicornomy.com/how-does-tripadv ... ess-model/
Is some of the advertising from hotels? Of course, it is a travel site after all but, is the majority of it from reviewed hotels? Not even close. Does it make money form airlines or resorts? Yes they do....because they also sell vacations, tickets and hotels stays as a travel agency.
Are there good reviews? For sure. Are there bad reviews, absolutely. Are there deleted reviews? Well at the rate of 165,600 a day, I would most assuredly think so. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/lists ... n-numbers/
Comparing an American home handyman search engine to Tripadvisor is like comparing local little league attendance to the world wide FIFA attendance.
Not defending Tripadvisor but there are many rumours and innuendo on Tripadvisor and no one takes the time to research the facts. So, in the end, I seem to know more about tripadvisor than I really wanted or needed to know :)
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3995 posts
476 upvotes
Thornhill
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:12 am

I never read 5-star reviews who only have 1 reviews. Often those are fake. Anyone with a few good reviews are good in my books.
For amazon it's actually vise versa. A lot of people with a ton of reviews and pictures means they belong to sites that send them free products in exchange for reviews, which is illegal so their reviews are often fake..