Unverified Negative Tripadvisor Comments Being Deleted (Newspaper report]

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 10:09 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6087 posts
904 upvotes
Mississauga
I am aware of Yelp having an elite club where elite yelp reviewers are invited to parties and offered free stuff, etc.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28241 posts
4208 upvotes
Ottawa
Raggie wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 2:24 pm
I am aware of Yelp having an elite club where elite yelp reviewers are invited to parties and offered free stuff, etc.
Yes and.....?
Perhaps as a food blogger, you may want to jump on that bandwagon?
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6087 posts
904 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 4:51 pm
Yes and.....?
Perhaps as a food blogger, you may want to jump on that bandwagon?
Meaning, these reviewers are being paid in some form or other to review certain businesses, etc. I choose to not rely on these reviewers for this reason. You may not see anything wrong with it and that's fine. But I choose to rely more on reviews that seem more real. You can try and persuade or convince me otherwise, we both have our opinions and ways of deciphering what's a real and honest review and what's not.
And no, I don't want to jump on that badwaggon.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28241 posts
4208 upvotes
Ottawa
Raggie wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 6:09 pm
Meaning, these reviewers are being paid in some form or other to review certain businesses, etc. I choose to not rely on these reviewers for this reason. You may not see anything wrong with it and that's fine. But I choose to rely more on reviews that seem more real. You can try and persuade or convince me otherwise, we both have our opinions and ways of deciphering what's a real and honest review and what's not.
And no, I don't want to jump on that badwaggon.
I see it as a loyalty benefit. Same as my Aeroplan points or Airmiles or any other loyalty program. My use of Air Canada does not make me a prejudiced user just because I collect points.
I think your perspective that frequent reviewers are untrustworthy or liars or "paid" informers is naive. But hey, conspiracy theories thrive on the internet :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6087 posts
904 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 6:35 pm
I see it as a loyalty benefit. Same as my Aeroplan points or Airmiles or any other loyalty program. My use of Air Canada does not make me a prejudiced user just because I collect points.
I think your perspective that frequent reviewers are untrustworthy or liars or "paid" informers is naive. But hey, conspiracy theories thrive on the internet :)
Yep! Not necessarily liars, but more there is a motive behind the review.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26206 posts
6067 upvotes
GTHA
TripAdvisor now warning about problem hotels

Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1101 posts
358 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
It will be interesting to see what "warnings" they will put on the site. Will Las Vegas, New York, Paris, London and Munich have warnings too?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28241 posts
4208 upvotes
Ottawa
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:55 am
It will be interesting to see what "warnings" they will put on the site. Will Las Vegas, New York, Paris, London and Munich have warnings too?
I am curious as well.
It does bring up the issue of when and why and how TripAdvisor will post these warnings. Will it solely be by individual reviews or, will there be proven substance to the warnings. Innuendo can kill a business. Will the warnings be only for a singular situation or will warnings be posted for things such as illnesses from food or improper health related items too?
Interesting development and we will see how it works out and if other review sites will follow.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1101 posts
358 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:59 am
I am curious as well.
It does bring up the issue of when and why and how TripAdvisor will post these warnings. Will it solely be by individual reviews or, will there be proven substance to the warnings. Innuendo can kill a business. Will the warnings be only for a singular situation or will warnings be posted for things such as illnesses from food or improper health related items too?
Interesting development and we will see how it works out and if other review sites will follow.
Agreed. Haven't had the chance to look around Trip Advisor but will take a look this weekend.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3346 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
I was curious if there’d be anything about the “sonic attacks” on Cuban hotels. Nothing about it on their Canadian site, and only a mention of the travel restrictions on their American site. This despite the fact the government of the United States of America has issued a Do Not Travel warning to Americans.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passpo ... rning.html
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28241 posts
4208 upvotes
Ottawa
MonctonMan wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 7:54 pm
I was curious if there’d be anything about the “sonic attacks” on Cuban hotels. Nothing about it on their Canadian site, and only a mention of the travel restrictions on their American site. This despite the fact the government of the United States of America has issued a Do Not Travel warning to Americans.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passpo ... rning.html
Can't let it go Eh? You already tried to resurrect your "sonic attack" obsession on your other thread. This thead is your TripAdvisor negative comments thread. :facepalm: