• Apr 22nd, 2008 5:54 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 27, 2005
701 posts
My house.

UofT - course selection & availability?

Hello,

I am going to be taking courses next year from a discipline that I don't have prioroty for, therefore I will have to wait until August to register for courses at UTM. I am going into first year.

I am looking at courses on UTM's Timetable application (http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/~utmor/student/timetable/) and I am seeing that the Management courses I am after still have space available.

Does this mean that it is likely that I will be able to enroll in the classes I need? Or, does this simply mean people have dropped out, and these courses were full during the beginning of the year?

In your experience, do Management courses get full quick, during the priority period?

Thanks alot.
2 replies
May 9, 2007
654 posts
14 upvotes
It looks like the current enrollment you are looking at, is for this current semester notice at the top: Fall 2007 / Winter 2008 - i know it says Winter 2008 but thats how university is. You should be looking at Fall 2008 - for courses that begin in sept 2008.

In my experience, I have always got into whatever courses I wanted even if its full for instance, in UofTSG - popular bird course ECO105 was full the moment I even consider it or a math lecture section which has a better prof - once again full, however, because I constantly refresh my browser for a day, there are usually time when someone will drop out. The thing is you shouldn't give out until the day when course selection is closed - which is somewhere pass when school starts, so, even if you aren't enroll to your desire mgmt class just go to it, and keep up w/ lectures and wait for someone to drop, but once again you. Although I can't say too much for management, I would imagine someone would drop for various reasons.

But for MGM, i would assume that it will be full before priority is released unless someone picks their classes late. So in the worst case, you will have to take it in the summer or if possible - with space and time available, you take the course at another campus [don't know if thats even possible, but i have seen UTM student here for courses not offer in UTM]
Mar 18, 2005
779 posts
32 upvotes
cant u just add a minor to your program of studies, add the course, then remove the minor?