Students

UofT Economics 3rd year courses (need some easy ones based off my criteria)

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2015 9:06 pm
Mar 23, 2015
8 posts
Toronto, ON

UofT Economics 3rd year courses (need some easy ones based off my criteria)

My criteria for a good course.
Needs to be interesting.
I love reading about politics and articles about the world economy do interest me.
I was looking at the economic law course and it seemed interesting.
I do good in courses that are essay heavy. I have done well in political science and anthropology courses.

I did great in eco 202 but not so well in eco 200 (had gazzale).

I want 1.5 credits of 3rd year economics courses and 0.5 credits of a 4th year economics course.

I prefer the course to be interesting...not math heavy, essays are fine, the tests should not be as ridiculous as the ones that Gazzale has.

The biggest problem that I had in eco 200 was the way the material and practice problems were handled. I am not talking about an easy hand out here. I just want a course where they will actually teach you the materials that are on the test and also the ones that arent too math heavy. There were some pretty had averages even in some of my eco 202 exams. Like once the average was so low that they had to scale some people up but I wasn't scaled because my mark was good enough....

Any ideas?

I was considering economics of careers, economics of family, economic laws, urban economics, history of economics etc.

Any ideas would help me. Thanks :)
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 26, 2009
6024 posts
2116 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like any History Economics will do (321 for Canadian, 306 for American, etc.).

They're rooted in essay writing, so little to no math involved. Though, for 306, I think you need to have taken 209 or a Macro equivalent.
Nov 24, 2011
278 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
A friend of mine took economics of family (the 3rd year version). It was a lot of reading academic papers and then writing about them. I think that might be something that suits you.

I took the 4th year version at UTM. That one was completely different, with lots of proofs.

-edit-
I loved the topic, btw. Applying economics to marriage sorting and divorce? Brilliant! If you liked Freakonomics, you would probably like economics of the family.