Students

UofT Engineering to TrentU Teaching Stream? Low GPA

[OP]
Nov 29, 2017
1 posts

UofT Engineering to TrentU Teaching Stream? Low GPA

I'm in Track One Engineering at UofT and I am personally not enjoying my program. I am planning to transfer next year into teaching at TrentU - however, my average is not high. (passing, but below a 65). I had low/high 90s back in high school in courses such as calculus, advanced functions, chemistry, calculus and other engineering courses and I have also built up a fantastic resume with experience in camp counseling, teaching, and tutoring (and plenty of extracurriculars, awards, and volunteer experience). Will I still get a chance of getting accepted despite my low GPA? Will my program be credited with being "harder" which could explain my lower average? (also, I am not looking for any transfer credits - I do not mind starting fresh). Do I have any other option to get into teaching despite my Low GPA? I do not wish to continue engineering next year.
3 replies
Nov 22, 2017
7 posts
4 upvotes
Yes it is doable, apply to as many places as possible, about 6 years ago a friend of mine transferred from UofT Mechanical Engineering to York University and went into teaching with a 2.0 GPa. Not sure if things have changed now but also look into applying with your high school grades, maybe you will have an opportunity to get accepted into a more reputable school.
Dec 9, 2017
2 posts
I am a Trent alumni, due to personal circumstances, I too transferred from UofT to Trent with special consideration because my case was extremely traumatic. I was really lucky that I had no proof of a UofT past. I would book an appointment with someone from administration and see what you can do, show that you have a game plan ie I wish to pursue a degree in sociology and english. I wish to apply to the conc-education program. Keep in mind TrentU teaching is very competitive.

Things I wish someone told me:

TrentU is only good if you have great grades and wish to apply to a graduate school of some sort. Granted you start fresh and again emphasis on your grades being pristine.

If you wish to pursue something that will get you a job right out of undergrad do not go to Trent. Especially if you want to go into business - unless you have a strong network it's difficult to get into corporate.
Mar 6, 2015
231 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
doyoulawmenow wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 7:30 pm
TrentU is only good if you have great grades and wish to apply to a graduate school of some sort. Granted you start fresh and again emphasis on your grades being pristine.
Do you mean that someone similar to OP who likely transfers out of an university to Trent to start afresh at year one must 1) aim for great grades and 2) target graduate school since the first semester? If he or she aimed only one of these choices or neither, you recommended he or she are not going to study at Trent?