• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2014 12:39 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 24, 2007
439 posts
26 upvotes
London
SamInfinity wrote: To ammend ritbits' post, I'd just tell you not to worry about the exact material that's being taught in pharmacy school. A fairly strong chemistry background will help immensely, so if that's one course you notice problems with in 1st year university, you should work at it.

Oh, and there's no set amount of time you have to study for anything. You have to give your best effort, but that doesn't mean you study 24/7. That's the great thing about University - there's nobody breathing down the back of your neck to get work done, nor is there anybody to ask you if you understand the material. Study as much as you need to reach your personal goals, but do maintain a social life. Go out, make friends, go grab a beer. Remember: time management is KEY.

Oh yes, and one last thing. Depending on where you go for undergrad, there may be a very cut-throat attitude. If you get into pharmacy school, please DO NOT bring that mentality into pharmacy school - help your classmates. I hate it when keeners do not share because they still view others as competition for residency or what not instead of learning together.
++ I fully agree!!
Dec 22, 2008
285 posts
newmarket
ritsbits wrote: the first year at UT is relatively easy... its more artsci than anything. the second year, they introduce more chemistry/medicinal chemistry to you, and thats when things start to get a bit more difficult, with the dose response curves and what not. third year is when you start going into therapeutics, and thats when the true suffering begins :) . fourth is short... only half a (painful) semester, then you get to start practical training. there's lots of filler garbage that you learn, and while you might not understand why we have to learn it, eventually it all makes sense later (or so i would hope, with some of these courses :P). pharmacy is certainly not easy (though it can be for some, since there are always those exceptional few geniuses out there :D ), so don't expect it to be a walk in the park after you get in. most people don't fail out unless they don't try at all, but thats no reason to slack since most of your classmates will be extremely competitive. the faculty does try to curve the marks downwards, so for those of you thinking of going into medicine with pharmacy as a stool, be aware that this can ruin your chances.

undergrad, you still have to put in your all; you're competing with medschool wannabies, so don't assume that by trying to go for pharmacy it will be any easier. you'll also be competing against medschool applicants who got rejected but still have stellar stats too. pretty much the rule of thumb is to study your ass off, get some extracurriculars under your belt for discussion (via verbal or written), so that you appear more rounded. volunteer time with a pharmacy would be a really good idea, so that you see what you're getting into (it may appear boring, but if you're at a slow store/hospital, try to find out what the pharmacist is doing... not just bin/prescription filling). there's no "easy" way of getting in, and there's nothing much you can do to prepare yourself before hand outside of getting good marks and padding your resume with meaningful experiences. expect to be studying hard for the next 1-4+ years to get in, then study even harder for those 4 years afterward :) .
Thanks a lot! You really opened our eyes :)
Dec 22, 2008
285 posts
newmarket
can anyone tell us a little about pcat? i know it's science based, but how is it overall, the topics, etc..
Sep 13, 2009
1 posts
Hey,

for anyone that might have an idea.. is it true that it looks bad if you're applying to pharmacy with a less than 5credit courseload? There's a course I really want to drop, which would make my courseload 4.5 this year.. but its my second year and I had a complete 5 in my first.. Ive heard people say that it looks bad when applying, anyy ideaas??
Sep 3, 2009
3 posts
lujain13 wrote: Hey,

for anyone that might have an idea.. is it true that it looks bad if you're applying to pharmacy with a less than 5credit courseload? There's a course I really want to drop, which would make my courseload 4.5 this year.. but its my second year and I had a complete 5 in my first.. Ive heard people say that it looks bad when applying, anyy ideaas??
I remember hearing somewhere that so long as you have 1 year with a full courseload, you won't be penalized. I actually got in this year and I took 5.0 FCE in my first year and 4.5 the second year. Still though, don't drop a course unless it's absolutely necessary just to be safe.
Sep 9, 2007
222 posts
1 upvote
hi-everyone wrote: haha, funny :lol:

my point was that if anyone has written it, can they please tell us how the REAL test is like. The question examples that i saw on google seem to be a little too unrealistic and easy :O
The PCAT's a joke, especially when compared to the MCAT. But don't let this post stop your from studying.
Sep 12, 2014
2 posts
Anybody has had an experience with the mini interviews, your wisdom will be much appreciated! What sort of questions can one expect? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3376 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
NaveelaHa wrote: Anybody has had an experience with the mini interviews, your wisdom will be much appreciated! What sort of questions can one expect? Thanks!
I've never gone through the interview process, but I know a few friends that went through the same process. The MMI is basically a series of stations that tests the applicant's ability to evaluate different health care professional-to-patient interactions/scenarios and the applicant is assessed on the basis on their responses (open-ended, well-thought out, little to no bias). You'll also be given scenarios where you have to explain instructions to another individual on how to do something, similar to how a pharmacist or any health care professional has to explain to patients what kind of drugs to take/dose levels/things to watch out for/etc.

If you end up getting the interview or if you are already in the process of being interviewed, make sure to dress for success and be in the best state of mind on the day of the interview. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
Just wanted to add that I personally know of two pharmacy graduates (2013) who are unemployed at the moment. The job market is terrible at the moment.
Sep 12, 2014
2 posts
I'm actually not interested in working in North America. But I also have no idea what the job market is like in the middle-east, which is where I wish to work. Any hunch?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)