Students

Is UOIT a good Engineering University in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2017 7:54 am
[OP]
Mar 12, 2017
2 posts

Is UOIT a good Engineering University in Canada?

I checked the ranking of Canadian universities and saw that UOIT is ranked 45th in Canada. On the other hand, USnews has listed UOIT as the 7th best university in Canada for Engineering. My question is, does UOIT holds the same prestige, and the quality of education, as a 7th ranked university when it comes to Engineering? Or is it a low ranked university?
Note: I want to study bachelor of Electrical Engineering.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10076 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
In my opinion, UOIT has no reputation at all. As a university founded in 2002 and only few graduating classes, it hasn't had enough time to build any sort of reputation. Most of their grads are relatively early in their careers and faculty isn't top notch or anything spectacular.
Sep 29, 2008
603 posts
67 upvotes
Mississauga
Do not obsess about school rankings in Canada, it is not like the US here. Most schools offer a decent education. You will have some advantages if you goto UFT Waterloo or UBC but you can do just fine with a degree from most schools.
Mar 6, 2015
133 posts
3 upvotes
I understand both sides of the arguments but which one reflects more of reality and is more useful... I think OP wants accurate information.
Oct 23, 2013
273 posts
333 upvotes
N/A
I'm still debating between UoIT, Carleton, and Ottawa. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm going into software engineering with coop.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2017
2 posts
Would you choose UOIT over YorkU or MUN for Computer Science/Computer Engineering Engineering? As I am an international student, henceforth, I am leaning more towards MUN/UOIT as it's cheaper for me, however, I can definitely afford YorkU.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1059 posts
244 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
jQwotos wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:32 am
I'm still debating between UoIT, Carleton, and Ottawa. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm going into software engineering with coop.
Tons of jobs in Ottawa if you choose Carleton or Ottawa.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel