Page 1 of 2

up to 98% off Crashplan online backup - discount clock rolling down every 2 hours

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 10:40 am
by ddanjou
Crashplan is having a huge sale that started off with free home and family plans and is slowly raising the price by 2% every 2 hours. Currently at 98% off. That means I just got unlimited cloud backup storage for up to 10 computers for $2.88 instead of $120.

https://www.crashplan.com/bigsale/index.vtl

Enjoy

Re: up to 98% off Crashplan online backup - discount clock rolling down every 2 hours

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 10:49 am
by lostinpangea
Great deal, great service. But cannot be used for existing customers! Boo!!!

Re: up to 98% off Crashplan online backup - discount clock rolling down every 2 hours

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 10:52 am
by Xoanan
amazing price.. I got it for the christmas sale last year.. I think 50% off..
I'm annoyed I can't use this sale at all. Even if it was a partial discount.... that's harsh.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 10:54 am
by Chaseme
Sick, thanks OP.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 10:55 am
by mark_in_2k
I'm guessing we don't get the sale price for "life"? Just a one year deal?

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 10:59 am
by Xoanan
from chat support:

We totally -love- our current customers! However, this special promotion is for the purpose of attracting new customers to subscribe to CrashPlan+. This could be compared to when a magazine offers a big discount to get you to sign up, in the hopes that you'll continue to subscribe for the long term. I hope this makes sense, and I am sorry if this seems unfair.

We do have other holiday sales coming up in the near future. Look for details to be posted to our website in the next couple of weeks.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 11:02 am
by NSJimothy
Sweet deal!

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 11:19 am
by Guigue
Xoanan wrote: from chat support:

We totally -love- our current customers! However, this special promotion is for the purpose of attracting new customers to subscribe to CrashPlan+. This could be compared to when a magazine offers a big discount to get you to sign up, in the hopes that you'll continue to subscribe for the long term. I hope this makes sense, and I am sorry if this seems unfair.

We do have other holiday sales coming up in the near future. Look for details to be posted to our website in the next couple of weeks.
Fair and honest answer. It's completely expected and normal, otherwise they'll probably close and we wouldn't even get the chance to renew...

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 11:20 am
by Newb2this
Thank you.

It went from 2.60 to 5.00 while I was looking at Crashplan reviews :P. Still got it tho! Great discount.

One question. If I back up 467537 GB say, what happens if I don't renew at $120 next year?
Also, how secure/private is my Data?

Thanks again OP!

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 11:30 am
by G77
Newb2this wrote: Thank you.

It went from 2.60 to 5.00 while I was looking at Crashplan reviews :P. Still got it tho! Great discount.

One question. If I back up 467537 GB say, what happens if I don't renew at $120 next year?
Also, how secure/private is my Data?

Thanks again OP!
If you don't renew, they will delete the data after a certain period I would guess.... After you've gone through the painstaking process of uploading though, they're banking on you not cancelling.

Your data is as secure as your password i.e. make it rock solid....

Been using them for 2 years now and highly recommended.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 11:37 am
by mark_in_2k
G77 wrote: If you don't renew, they will delete the data after a certain period I would guess.... After you've gone through the painstaking process of uploading though, they're banking on you not cancelling.

Your data is as secure as your password i.e. make it rock solid....

Been using them for 2 years now and highly recommended.
It's a shame it's not for life. I was just planning on using it for picture and docs backup, not my whole system.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 11:41 am
by G77
mark_in_2k wrote: It's a shame it's not for life. I was just planning on using it for picture and docs backup, not my whole system.
You can selectively backup whatever you like, I only backup my pics, docs and music. This amounts to 400GB for me, so using a free solution like dropbox etc is not going to wash - if you have small amounts you might get away with a free solution.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 11:53 am
by Xoanan
Guigue wrote: Fair and honest answer. It's completely expected and normal, otherwise they'll probably close and we wouldn't even get the chance to renew...
Yes, I have to agree. I actually hit up their support to ask for some discount, hoping they'd at least knock a little off for me. (mine is up in 34 days or so)

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 11:54 am
by HitmanPM
mark_in_2k wrote: It's a shame it's not for life.
Yeah! It's a shame it's not free, for life and that they don't send us a 80" LED TV with it... :rolleyes:

Why push it... 5$ instead of 50$ is an awesome deal for a great service.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 12:10 pm
by mark_in_2k
HitmanPM wrote: Yeah! It's a shame it's not free, for life and that they don't send us a 80" LED TV with it... :rolleyes:

Why push it... 5$ instead of 50$ is an awesome deal for a great service.
I was at least expecting a free 32" TV with this deal. :D

My point was I've got great deals, such as unlimited usenet for $5/mnth for "life", Stablehosting for $22/yr for "life", so it's not beyond the realms of fantasy. I certainly wouldn't mind paying a bit more to guarantee the price for life. The size of this discount is huge compared to the full regular price. It's almost like bait and switch to a lesser extent.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 12:17 pm
by mrhector
Thanks ops just picked up the family plan.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 12:45 pm
by movieking
Probably don't need this as I've been using Box and Dropbox but I got the single plan.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 2:55 pm
by mr_yellow
Thanks OP. got in at 95%. 7.20 for a years worth of automated offsite backup ain't bad. I already have a onsite backup solution so this completes the backup trinity (local version + onsite backup + offsite backup).

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 2:59 pm
by stony
Thanks. $3 now for a single plan. Can't really go wrong for that I guess.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 3:44 pm
by roggers
stony wrote: Thanks. $3 now for a single plan. Can't really go wrong for that I guess.
Isn't this $3/month valid for a total of 12 mo or 1 year. And besides, this isn't a replacement for Dropbox, it's only online PC backup just like windows backup.