Home & Garden

UPDATE! BREAK IN! - Townhouse neighbour's house is vacant and infested with flies

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 3:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1399 posts
387 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

UPDATE! BREAK IN! - Townhouse neighbour's house is vacant and infested with flies

What can I do?

I'm attached by a wall to this neighbour in a townhouse complex. The neighbour doesn't usually live there (he goes to China for like 6 months at a time).
I called the police to check on the wellbeing of/if any people inside and they discovered that the flies were from garbage, not bodies. So they leave and do nothing more.
So I contacted my strata manager and he posted notices on the door to have him clean it otherwise "failure to do so will end up having the strata to arrange cleaning of the inside of your unit and the cost be charged back to you plus penalty for failure to comply with the demand".

Now my question is, how can they legally go in and do that? BTW, my strata manager is very incompetent and takes forever to do anything.

Also, I can smell an odour of garage in my hallway because the smell is seeping through the baseboard heaters and walls.

(is the pic visible?)
Images
  • IMG-20170721-WA0010.jpg
Last edited by stovetop on Jul 31st, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
76 replies
May 28, 2017
204 posts
60 upvotes
Put a bowl of soya sauce in the hall way and see if you can convince the flies to open the door.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Next up: "My strata charged me to clean my unit when I was on vacation and entered without my permission what should I do?" OR "My house is infested with flies and I think my neighbors put them there when I was on vacation..."
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3092 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
BARF!!

there's probably some dead rodent in his walls and its rotting, thus causing maggots and all those house flies.

Next up will be cockroaches working their way through the walls to find fresh food in your unit.

Thank God I live in a detached house.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4731 posts
2309 upvotes
Edmonton
Just keep putting pressure on your property manager. You can review your documents, but I suspect they were put together by someone smart enough to reserve the right to enter your unit when required for maintenance, with or without your permission.

C
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9168 posts
3271 upvotes
Ottawa
How can people be so dirty and live like that? Leaving garbage when they go away for 6 months?!
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2371 posts
539 upvotes
Newmarket
poor flies are trying to get out it's so filthy in there.
Call the city's health department, see if they can do anything or at least will give you a better advise.
Aug 18, 2014
281 posts
133 upvotes
Markham, ON
I'd scream at my property manager to enter the unit and remove it at once...as I would consider it an emergency and serious health hazard...

If you can smell it in your house thru the drywall, the smell is probably seeping into your drywall and you will never get rid of it ever. (Drywall absorb smells,..i.e. like cigarettes smell, no matter how many coat you repaint it it is still there because the smell is already absorbed into the drywall and wood)

And tbh, I rather live in a house that smell like cigarettes & marijuana than garbage. Astonished Face
Aug 18, 2014
281 posts
133 upvotes
Markham, ON
btw, that pictures gave me shivers....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1399 posts
387 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Homerhomer wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 4:18 pm
Call the city's health department, see if they can do anything or at least will give you a better advise.
yeah, I left them a message to see what can be done.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25426 posts
2758 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Homerhomer wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 4:18 pm
Poor flies?

Flies are filthy.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1431 posts
364 upvotes
Brampton, ON
flyingnurse wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 8:02 pm
It's like a scene in a scary movie right before white people go inside to investigate.
Dec 10, 2006
46 posts
3 upvotes
Thornhill
Wow! Going to have nightmares tonigh!!
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14112 posts
4575 upvotes
Don't concern yourself with what the strata can and cannot do - they often over extend their powers without care for the consequences. If they can be pressured into cleaning up the unit and getting rid of the health hazard it creates then keep pressuring them to do so. Let the strata deal with the consequences if the action is deemed inappropriate.

My focus would be on continued pressure such as "OK, so now that you have issued the notice how many days until you force cleanup?" then "OK, so it has been this many days. Does that mean you're cleaning it up or do you first need to find a contractor?".

You can also call your bylaw people to see if there is a point that a bug infestation becomes hazardous to adjoining units, which is a good conversation to have but I suspect if the strata is willing to move on the cleanup they will react quicker.