Home & Garden

UPDATE! BREAK IN! - Townhouse neighbour's house is vacant and infested with flies

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 3:57 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2369 posts
537 upvotes
Newmarket
Gee wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 4:58 pm
Poor flies?

Flies are filthy.
You missed my sarcasm.
BTW, flies are not filthy, actually very beneficial and one of their benefits is feasting on decaying matter, such as the filth left by that filthy neighbour, hence cleaning up our crap.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5041 posts
939 upvotes
Whitby
You should have gone in with the cops and set off 2 pesticide foggers on the way out-wonder if manager would unofficially allow you to do that? Its basically a bug bomb, it'll kill everything in there if you get good ones. I guess it might start up again in a month since the garbage is still there rotting away.
Aug 25, 2006
108 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
I'd call the cops as a concerned person and say you think something happened next door and that there might be a dead body or something.

Just say "Hi officer, I am concerned about my neighbor, they are elderly and I'm concerned that something has happened to them. I haven't seen or heard from them in a days/weeks/months and the windows in their unit are swarming with flies. I think either they or maybe a pet of theirs may have died as there is an unbearable stench from their unit".

Let them break down the door and investigate since it would be illegal for you to do so. Just play the dumb good Samaritan role. They'll probably find nothing sinister but refer to public health who would come in and re mediate the issue in full hazmat and then bill the owner for costs. You get the issue resolved at no cost to you and negligent neighbors learns there lesson.

Best way to play it safe.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
1869 posts
375 upvotes
Nunavut
dbracer wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 9:24 am
I'd call the cops as a concerned person and say you think something happened next door and that there might be a dead body or something.

Just say "Hi officer, I am concerned about my neighbor, they are elderly and I'm concerned that something has happened to them. I haven't seen or heard from them in a days/weeks/months and the windows in their unit are swarming with flies. I think either they or maybe a pet of theirs may have died as there is an unbearable stench from their unit".

Let them break down the door and investigate since it would be illegal for you to do so. Just play the dumb good Samaritan role. They'll probably find nothing sinister but refer to public health who would come in and re mediate the issue in full hazmat and then bill the owner for costs. You get the issue resolved at no cost to you and negligent neighbors learns there lesson.

Best way to play it safe.
I'm guess you didn't read the OP?
Jan 4, 2017
141 posts
38 upvotes
Nasty. I can't even imagine what it smells like inside that house.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25384 posts
2750 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Homerhomer wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 8:23 am
You missed my sarcasm.
BTW, flies are not filthy, actually very beneficial and one of their benefits is feasting on decaying matter, such as the filth left by that filthy neighbour, hence cleaning up our crap.
They land on feces
Banned
Jul 24, 2017
49 posts
27 upvotes
something died in there and probably took a shit before it died
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19266 posts
1430 upvotes
good gawd - now I am going to have nightmares tonight..........

Poor OP, keep on putting pressure on the strata management. Don't you have an annual board meeting where you can vote directors etc? I'd try and join the board to ensure that this doesn't happen again and I would document all the times you contacted the strata management to address this and bring it up to the board meeting.

Hopefully you can put pressure to change the management company...unless I am mistaken and it doesn't work like this (I live in a condo before and think it works similarly? or perhaps I am wrong)
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3986 posts
470 upvotes
Thornhill
If I was you OP, I'd take care of that within a few days. This is a health hazzard and at worse, I'd find a way to do it myself
Living next to a possible infestation is unhealthy, nor it is healthy to suffer from the smells. Keep calling to Strata to enforce the entry asap.
Update us when it's done!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1395 posts
386 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I've been on the strata manager. We have a WhatsApp group with the strata council and strata manager and I keep messaging on their. We're a smaller townhouse complex of 18 units only. I'm in Vancouver.

UPDATE: The flies are now no longer at the window...so I don't know if they all died in there or they're mating for the next batch. The strata manager says he's called the security alarm company of that unit and also asked the contact person of that unit to have it cleaned. He said getting legal advice on this matter would cost $255/hour.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2307 upvotes
Edmonton
stovetop wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 2:49 pm
Yeah I've been on the strata manager. We have a WhatsApp group with the strata council and strata manager and I keep messaging on their. We're a smaller townhouse complex of 18 units only. I'm in Vancouver.

UPDATE: The flies are now no longer at the window...so I don't know if they all died in there or they're mating for the next batch. The strata manager says he's called the security alarm company of that unit and also asked the contact person of that unit to have it cleaned. He said getting legal advice on this matter would cost $255/hour.
So what's his point with regards to the cost of legal advice? There's a reason you pay condo fees.

C
Apr 2, 2011
379 posts
97 upvotes
Brick through the window. Problem solved.

You're welcome.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3986 posts
470 upvotes
Thornhill
NKode wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 4:14 pm
Brick through the window. Problem solved.

You're welcome.
Yah,but more flies will come to the rotten party inside and some will be flying around as well.