Home & Garden

UPDATE! BREAK IN! - Townhouse neighbour's house is vacant and infested with flies

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 3:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1401 posts
388 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The preliminary cleaning is now all done. They had cleaners go in but we are looking to have a more professional company come in called traumascenecleanup.ca. They specialize in things like body decomposition, homicide and suicide cleanup lol. There is still a smell coming from their home even though the garage window is now open.
Two upright freezers full of rotten and decomposing meat were removed and disposed of. There are still some flies buzzing around but definitely not like before.

The odd thing is that inside their garage and home for that matter, they have tons of brand new brand name shoes. I'm talking like Christian Laboutins, Versace, etc type shoes. They're all the outrageous looking ones but there must be at least 100 pairs in there. I'm not sure if they're fake or not but looks like the owner probably sells them. He's away in China for at least 6 months at a time so I'm not sure if they're shipping them here to sell.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2605 posts
427 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
So can flies get into a non-running upright freezer or was the smell just attracting them but they didn't actually have anywhere to land and breed?

Post all the photos again to imgur.com. none of the photobucket ones work anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9584 posts
1245 upvotes
Toronto
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 9:25 pm
So who pays for this cleanup?
It'll likely get tacked on to their maintenance cost or billed similarly. For someone to do that though, that would have severe damage to the property values of the complex. I would be inclined to get together and file a lawsuit or something in the future if it happens again.
Kevinck wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 9:08 am
So can flies get into a non-running upright freezer or was the smell just attracting them but they didn't actually have anywhere to land and breed?

Post all the photos again to imgur.com. none of the photobucket ones work anymore.
I'm sure they can find a way to get in when it gets bad enough. It's not like a fridge is vacuum sealed. Also, with that much meat rotting, there's a chance the gases from the decomposition caused seepage, or pressure to build up resulting in the doors being opened even though it's suctioned closed.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1672 posts
331 upvotes
Windsor
Kevinck wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 9:08 am

Looking at the pics, and this is a guess, but it looks like power was cut, stuff melted, and then fell towards the front of the freezer. Maybe that stuff falling literally opened the freezer, or maybe just pushed on the inside of the door. Then, rotting food grows on that bottom sill and pushes the door open the rest of the way. Once the door is open, it's a FFA.

They could also have potentially flown in through the ventilation of the freezer, but I'd doubt that.

Regardless, definitely gross.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Sep 13, 2016
962 posts
413 upvotes
Who buys a ton of meat and other perishable food , keep them in the fridge, and go away for months.. lol. Common sense is to clean up the fridge and throw any thing which might rot if you plan to be away for months..
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2513 posts
576 upvotes
Mississauga
No kidding. We recently went away for only 10 days and I made sure any perishables in the fridge were either eaten or disposed of before we left.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1401 posts
388 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
So the smell has now been removed from the garage. Thank God! The strata manager was able to make contact with a friend of the property owner and advised that the townhouse unit garage was cleaned and disinfected and the contents of the garage (expensive shoes, boxes, etc) were all moved into a locked gated storage area on common property.

But it’s not over!!! A few days ago the locked gated storage area was broken into. The latch on the gate was bent and things were rummaged in. We called the police and they attended but didn’t have any leads. The strata manager organized the gate be resecured with chains and padlock. The next day, it was broken into again and many of the expensive shoes (Christian Laboutins, etc) were stolen.

Whose liability is it that the stuff was stolen. As far as I’m concerned, the strata did it’s due diligence in securing the items.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3787 posts
244 upvotes
stovetop wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:59 am
So the smell has now been removed from the garage. Thank God! The strata manager was able to make contact with a friend of the property owner and advised that the townhouse unit garage was cleaned and disinfected and the contents of the garage (expensive shoes, boxes, etc) were all moved into a locked gated storage area on common property.

But it’s not over!!! A few days ago the locked gated storage area was broken into. The latch on the gate was bent and things were rummaged in. We called the police and they attended but didn’t have any leads. The strata manager organized the gate be resecured with chains and padlock. The next day, it was broken into again and many of the expensive shoes (Christian Laboutins, etc) were stolen.

Whose liability is it that the stuff was stolen. As far as I’m concerned, the strata did it’s due diligence in securing the items.
Why are you so concerned about their property? Probably stolen or counterfeit to begin with, so likely an accomplice getting rid of the evidence...

The smell is gone, crap cleaned up, so who cares about the rest of his stuff...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1401 posts
388 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
because I don't want him to come back and sue the strata corp for moving his stuff and getting it stolen
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7982 posts
2825 upvotes
Toronto
Who cares, not your issue. Why do you even bother.
stovetop wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:36 pm
because I don't want him to come back and sue the strata corp for moving his stuff and getting it stolen

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9584 posts
1245 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:41 pm
Who cares, not your issue. Why do you even bother.
Maybe everybody gets a special assessment due to the lawsuit or disbursement? + to cover legal fees?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15731 posts
4459 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
lol great thread.

My work productivity for the day just went from 9% down to 8.105% but it was worth it.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
there is a reason why you can sign up all utility bills to be paid automatically from your bank account.