Automotive

UPDATE: Had my car stereo stolen last night...any advice?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2006 9:11 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, sorry to hear that. My work also had theives come and took a few airbags from a few Civics too.

You definitely can benefit from a 2-way pager alarm. You'd definitely be in range of the transmitter---pager. So when they start hitting or peeling open your car/trunk/hood, your page would go off right away and let you know.

ATLien69 wrote:I had this happen to my car while in my WORK parking lot during daylight!!! (around 1pm!) THE BALLS ON THIS GUY!!!! I couldnt beleive it...he hit another car as well. Took my cell phone and faceplate (JOKE ON HIM! as there he thought it all came out! HA!)....anyways cost me a total of $250 for the passenger window and about $20 for a new face plate off [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink]. (not mine though, cuz it came from the US :) ) Cell phone was old school from 2002, so I didn't care much...sucks ass though...real pain...my deductaible was $500 so it obviously wasn't possible to go through insurance...tried to get my work to pay for the window, but they refused (CHEAP CORPORATE $HIT!), now some guy in my office is trying to pool money together from other employees to pay for both broken-in cars (There is still some nice people in this world!) Anyways good luck with this, and make sure that the baseball bat is handy...I know mine is now...

cheers...
Aug 4, 2005
789 posts
8 upvotes
Stouffville
Toronto Gamblers wrote:Don't claim!!!

Not sure who the moron is that said they can't raise your insurance but they can and will. Don't even call to enquire, it counts as an incident and lowers your rating.

Eat it.
I was that moron. :D

Here the link to the Ontario insurance regulator so you can read for yourself.
What Insurance Companies Can't Use to Determine Rates
Your insurance company cannot use the following rating criteria to determine how much you should pay for automobile insurance:

credit history,
bankruptcy,
employment status,
whether you own a credit card,
how long you have lived in your current home,
not-at-fault accidents,
whether your vehicle is owned or leased, and
whether there was a period of time where you had no automobile insurance coverage.
and
If you have a lot of comprehensive claims (e.g., repeat broken windshield claims), your insurance company may require you to have a higher deductible or may refuse to sell you Comprehensive coverage at all.
You're almost as smart as a moron already!
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
2284 posts
47 upvotes
Kingston
RideGuy wrote:It's a 2002 Protege 5. Here is a link to the car posted by the former owner. LINK

RideGuy

It's a well kept car with a few frills on the outside - just like my 96 Civic, which looks brand new. I think car thieves are attracted to well kept cars....get a security system! I think car thieves also don't like dealing with security systems.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2550 posts
572 upvotes
belgiangenius wrote:It's a well kept car with a few frills on the outside - just like my 96 Civic, which looks brand new. I think car thieves are attracted to well kept cars....get a security system! I think car thieves also don't like dealing with security systems.
It's the same as the pics but it's still got the winter rims on, and I put the stock exhaust back on.
I'm seriously considering an alarm. My neighbours are tight, and some of them are light sleepers. If a car alarm were going off they would be out there.

RideGuy
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
ratface wrote:I was that moron. :D

Here the link to the Ontario insurance regulator so you can read for yourself.

and

You're almost as smart as a moron already!
um... this is not an accident ..comprehensive claims are not considered not at fault accidents :lol: ahem moron ;)

this will count as a claim regardless. it shouldnt affect existing rates if its first incident. but have you ever noticed when you purchase insruance, it asks you for your claims (at fault or not) during past 7 years or smth like that.
Banned
Dec 6, 2004
381 posts
Toronto
RideGuy wrote:It's the same as the pics but it's still got the winter rims on, and I put the stock exhaust back on.
I'm seriously considering an alarm. My neighbours are tight, and some of them are light sleepers. If a car alarm were going off they would be out there.

RideGuy
doesn't it have stock alarm already?
we just got our 03 Protege5, and the alarm went off so easily.
I once turned off the car put the cell phone in the cup holder and the alarm went off like crazy.
Dec 25, 2004
892 posts
188 upvotes
RideGuy wrote:It's a 2002 Protege 5. Here is a link to the car posted by the former owner. LINK

How do you know this?

I confirmed with a friend that owns a cleaning/mod shop. Your insurance will not go up due to a theft claim. He does some insurance work.

RideGuy
How do I know this? Very simply it happened to me. I called to enquire about my laptop being stolen from my vehicle. I didn't file a claim as the office just replaced it. When my policy ended the premium went up they told me I had a claim. I assured them I didn't. They opened up the files and said the "incident" counts against you whether they pay you in a claim or not. We all hear that insurance companies are crooks, I didn't know the extent until they started charging me more for even enquiring about a claim. I talked to a few other companies to see if this was normal, they all confirmed it was.
Dec 25, 2004
892 posts
188 upvotes
gilboman wrote:um... this is not an accident ..comprehensive claims are not considered not at fault accidents :lol: ahem moron ;)

this will count as a claim regardless. it shouldnt affect existing rates if its first incident. but have you ever noticed when you purchase insruance, it asks you for your claims (at fault or not) during past 7 years or smth like that.
Nice!! LOL...like I said, moron.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2550 posts
572 upvotes
I talked to claims counselling. Apparently my deductible is $1000, and not $500 like I originally thought. The max electrics claim is $1500. Plus the adjustor will value the stereo on replacement used and/or what he things are equivalent parts. I'm screwed. I'm going to eat it.

About rate changes with theft (or non at fault claims). You insurance will not go up!

Gambler, if your insurance went up, you need to get a copy of the claim in question from your insurance company. There is obviously a mistake on their end, and it's up to YOU to fix it.

I'll be looking for a used deck to start rebuilding my stereo. I don't have the money I used to now that I just had my second kid. I started reading up on CarAudioForum. Any suggestions on what decks I should be looking for would be great.

Features I would like are:
mp3
aux in for my iPod
decent sound
ability to expand (sub control, etc)

Thanks for everyones help, I really appreciate it.

RideGuy
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
I actually witnessed one of these auto thefts, a VW was robbed of his Alpine. I heard some yakking 4:AM looked out the window to see 3 youths, two standing at point at both ends of the street and one break the window glass and pull the equipment in 15-30 seconds, by the time cops showed up... the kids were long gone... must've parked quite a few blocks away. The VW was only in the neighbourhood 2 days... (guest) They must cruise neighbourhoods for targets.

In my neighbourhood every car gets checked. crack heads looking for open latches.. You can get equipment that render themselves obsolete unless you have the pass, and like the other guy mentioned... alarm your car (not silent).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
Rideguy - I just put in the new Sony GT200 deck in both my vehicles, it has all of the features you listed. Not used, but it's on sale at [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] this week for $130 new.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
2284 posts
47 upvotes
Kingston
Toronto Gamblers wrote:How do I know this? Very simply it happened to me. I called to enquire about my laptop being stolen from my vehicle. I didn't file a claim as the office just replaced it. When my policy ended the premium went up they told me I had a claim. I assured them I didn't. They opened up the files and said the "incident" counts against you whether they pay you in a claim or not. We all hear that insurance companies are crooks, I didn't know the extent until they started charging me more for even enquiring about a claim. I talked to a few other companies to see if this was normal, they all confirmed it was.
We need laws to see CEOs go to jail when this kind of $hit happens.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
2284 posts
47 upvotes
Kingston
ah802 wrote:I actually witnessed one of these auto thefts, a VW was robbed of his Alpine. I heard some yakking 4:AM looked out the window to see 3 youths, two standing at point at both ends of the street and one break the window glass and pull the equipment in 15-30 seconds, by the time cops showed up... the kids were long gone... must've parked quite a few blocks away. The VW was only in the neighbourhood 2 days... (guest) They must cruise neighbourhoods for targets.

In my neighbourhood every car gets checked. crack heads looking for open latches.. You can get equipment that render themselves obsolete unless you have the pass, and like the other guy mentioned... alarm your car (not silent).
...so why didn't you grab a bat and run out there and beat them senseless?
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
2284 posts
47 upvotes
Kingston
Toronto Gamblers wrote:Nice!! LOL...like I said, moron.
Interesting position. I recently called a new insurance co. for a quote.

They wanted to know if I had any claims in the past 10 years, whatsoever, regardless of fault.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
belgiangenius wrote:...so why didn't you grab a bat and run out there and beat them senseless?
I was 4 floors up.... I was Nakid and I didn't remember where I could buy a baseball bat on short notice in the middle of the night.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17117 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
Insurance rates can't go up because of a not-at-fault accident or comprehensive claim. This doesn't mean that the insurance premium won't go up though.

Often there are times when you get a traffic ticket conviction (or two) that the insurance company isn't aware of. Since they don't run driving record reports on everyone every year, there are bound to be some that go by unnoticed.

What could happen though when you file a claim is that it triggers the system to put your name into the pool of people for driving record checks. Then the insurance company might find out you actually have two convictions in the past three years and decide to adjust the premiums accordingly.

The increase in rates in this case is not due to your MAKING a not-at-fault or comprehensive claim. But it could be triggered by your claim.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2005
1950 posts
355 upvotes
I think anyone with Nice Stereo Gear must have a alarm.

This is why I stuck with the stock deck for so long on my 93 tbird... My Fiance gave me **** for it but the way I look at it, If I was going to spend the cash on a stereo I'd get a alarm to go with it.

Other thing is, and I dont really want to say this, but most people who do get there stuff stolen, end up replacing it, and the same thieves sometimes go back for 2nd helpings... Sad, but True! ...

Plus with a alarm your insurance rates are usually a little cheaper to help offset it.

I feel for you, such crap you have to go through being violated like this.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2005
1950 posts
355 upvotes
belgiangenius wrote:Interesting position. I recently called a new insurance co. for a quote.

They wanted to know if I had any claims in the past 10 years, whatsoever, regardless of fault.
Dont waste your time with Canadian Direct Insurance, from what I think I am a good driver, claims free for over 10 years.

But the fact that I got a Speeding ticked the last two years I have been driving (basically one ticket a year meaning no points) must mean I am a high risk and they actually want more money out of me.

They of course didn't tell me this till looking at my driving record (which I will never divulge again) ...

Wasnt' worth the time..

Wasn't worth the effort...
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2550 posts
572 upvotes
belgiangenius:
Violence is never the answer. You go at him with a bat, he comes at you with a knife or even worse a gun. People will do crazy things when they are desperate.

EVERYONE!:
Please stop with the name calling. It's very unclear how many non-fault claims will raise your insurance rates. I wouldn