• Feb 25th, 2017 6:08 pm
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
7552 posts
12216 upvotes
Scarborough

Update on the new score/voting system

In the recent update we introduced a change to the Thanks system. It was updated to an up/down voting system. All pre-existing thanks were changed to up votes and there was a new option to vote down.

Our main hope was that it would be a good addition to help identify better deals by not having all lower quality deals rank the same (0 thanks). In this regard we feel the system is doing a good job. We felt that extending down voting to threads in other forums and also replies could also be beneficial.

We knew that there were concerns about people abusing the system and because of that we had built features in to help monitor and stop abusive down voting. While there have only been a small handful of users doing that, we have seen from your feedback that there are other potential issues and concerns. We’re listening to all of it and definitely want to take a deeper look into it.

We're considering a number of options to improve the experience of down voting, which may include removing it for replies, removing the anonymity and removing it as part of your overall score. Wiping all current down votes from user profiles would likely accompany any change so that everyone would be starting from scratch. We’re also open to any other suggestions that you might have so please share your ideas with us. If you'd rather submit them privately you can PM me or use our contact us page.

We'll weigh our options in the coming weeks, and will work with the community to find the best solution possible.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
166 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2341 posts
2311 upvotes
The original intention of introducing downvote to the system is good, but it requires continues fine tune.

(1) I think the "Thanks" is different from the meaning of "downvote / upvote". I normally "Thanks" the member for the post. However, Upvote and Downvote are more pointing to the post/thread instead of the person. "Upvote and Downvote" have different meaning on different thread / sub-forum, even the reply within the thread. Members are giving downvote / upvote with different reasons. Right now, members are using upvote as positive and downvote as negative. Because of this, it may lead certain confusion.

(2) Upvote promotes positive, Downvote promotes negative. I think only certain set of members should allow have this function especially downvote. There are different ways to find those members such as base on the number of post, degree of contribution, etc .... or the decision can be triggered by other members base on daily/continuous communication or contribution.

(3) Using just upvote/downvote is not enough in Hot Deal forum. The deal can be (0 to 100%) which represents very cold, cold, warm, hot, or very hot. Unfortunately, number of upvote/downvote currently cannot represent this meaning.

(4) System should limit number of upvote/downvote can be given per day or week or month.
Last edited by lcmt on Aug 15th, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
2611 posts
314 upvotes
lcmt wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 1:42 pm
The original intention of introducing downvote to the system is good, but it requires continues fine tune.

(1) I think the "Thanks" is different from the meaning of "downvote / upvote". I normally "Thanks" the member for the post. However, Upvote and Downvote are more pointing to the post/thread instead of the person. "Upvote and Downvote" have different meaning on different thread / sub-forum, even the reply within the thread. Members are giving downvote / upvote with different reasons. Right now, members are using upvote as positive and downvote as negative. Because of this, it may lead certain confusion.

(2) Upvote promotes positive, Downvote promotes negative. I think only certain set of members should allow have this function especially downvote. There are different ways to find those members such as base on the number of post, degree of contribution, etc .... or the decision can be triggered by other members base on daily/continuous communication or contribution.

(3) Using just upvote/downvote is not enough in Hot Deal forum. The deal can be (0 to 100%) which represents very cold, cold, warm, hot, or very hot. Unfortunately, number of upvote/downvote currently cannot represent this meaning.
agree ... I like the idea of "downvote / upvote" and would like to keep it ... fine tuning ? - sure ...
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
16825 posts
2847 upvotes
Toronto
downvote can be changed to 'Disagree' / 'Not helpful nor relevant'
Oct 22, 2006
638 posts
355 upvotes
Ontario
I posted this before, but you probably glazed over it. (Yea- I'm pretty sure your 2 down votes and Ryan's 4 down votes were aimed at me- call me paranoid - I hate the colour scheme Ryan) Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Up/Down votes should apply to the thread only. That could mean the deal is good or bad in the hot deals forum, or the advice is bad in other forums (Computers, Finance, Investing, etc.)

By applying the down votes to the poster of the deal, instead of the thread, you're discouraging people to post deals in Hot Deals. That's the complete opposite of this forum's intent. There will always be people who aren't interested or against a certain deal (Competition, Fanboys, Disgruntled ex-employees, Angry past purchasers, etc)

If you want to extend the down votes into the replies, then make them TEMPORARY. This would be a form of community infraction and backlash. It shows who's posted a crap deal or offered bad advice. Make them last for 90 days or so.

I think the down votes "given" should be permanent though. Make all down votes public as well. Let's weed out the codgers and ungrateful people who are only here to stir up ship.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10255 posts
1031 upvotes
Brampton
One thing I'm disappointed in is the old thread voting/rating of 5 stars is now gone Disappointed Face Why hasn't that been converted into the new "Up Votes" as the new "Score" of that same thread? For example our Hardwood thread has been around for almost 9 years now & IIRC it had well over 300 votes (close to 5 star rating)! But now shows only 33 "Up Votes" which were the old "Thanks" really, where did all those 300+ votes disappear to?? There are many popular ongoing threads that had hundreds of votes/5 star ratings as well & now all those votes are gone, not really fair IMO! I feel those old votes should have been converted into the new "Up Votes".

Also the new Emoticons look awful :facepalm: - bring back the old ones!!!
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Jun 17, 2013
7552 posts
12216 upvotes
Scarborough
patrob wrote:
Aug 16th, 2016 1:54 am
One thing I'm disappointed in is the old thread voting/rating of 5 stars is now gone Disappointed Face Why hasn't that been converted into the new "Up Votes" as the new "Score" of that same thread? For example our Hardwood thread has been around for almost 9 years now & IIRC it had well over 300 votes (close to 5 star rating)! But now shows only 33 "Up Votes" which were the old "Thanks" really, where did all those 300+ votes disappear to?? There are many popular ongoing threads that had hundreds of votes/5 star ratings as well & now all those votes are gone, not really fair IMO! I feel those old votes should have been converted into the new "Up Votes".
The star ratings were seldom used in comparison and having multiple types of ratings for the same thread was confusing. I don't think that threads original post ever had 300+ thanks but I can check if you feel the 30 something it has now is wrong. Most views didn't show the stars so people were using the thread based on it being a good thread and not how many stars were shown.

Some good suggestions have been shared so far but we'd like to hear from more people. We're keeping a close eye on this thread so keep the feedback coming.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Penalty Box
May 10, 2005
25905 posts
2874 upvotes
Ottawa
Having been a victim of the down vote vendetta and discovering one RFDer that has doled out well over 375 of them, he/she is not banned and is still able to post (and presumably down vote). I wonder what RFD is really willing to do about the abuse. I have gotten down votes for providing links and assistance and valid information.....just because they could or the fact that someone has a vendetta? Some of the down votes I received were for 1, 2 and 3 year old posts...clearly a search effort was require to accomplish this. I retaliated in the beginning (as I mentioned and explained in another thread) but realized it was stupid and unfortunately could not retract my stupidity and the action remains.
While "Thanks" were a way of appreciating a post, a poster, or an idea without having to comment, the down vote only enables those that wish to disrupt. If down vote were as visible as the "Thanks" or Up votes, perhaps the down vote kings would think twice as they may have to answer for their "displeasure" of the post.
I do not see the "benefit" or "value" of down votes in any forum other than perhaps the deals forums and threads. The other forums are, or were, for open discussions and comments. Opinions are for and from everybody and if you disagree, say so, not just a thumbs down without justification. They encouraged debate and fair (or sometimes unfair but moderated) exchange of ideas and comments. It was open and well received. Now, some people comment and provide information and others just down vote, the exchange of information as lessened in my opinion.
If down votes were such a good idea, why was it not incorporated in the Off Topic forum where so much is discussed? Maybe because the torrent of down votes would have crashed the site? At least there, if one disagrees, they are obligated or encouraged to post and discuss.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Aug 17th, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it and share it" Anonymous
Penalty Box
May 10, 2005
25905 posts
2874 upvotes
Ottawa
I have to chuckle. TomRFD asked for feedback. I provided and got 2 down votes for it :)
Don't know what about the post was disagreeable, incorrect, offensive or if it is just someone that wants to punish. Regardless, the person did not have the courtesy to debate, discuss or provide a reason, it just re-enforced the reasons to get rid of down votes..
The down vote for the post only makes my point, thanks whomever you are.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Aug 17th, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it and share it" Anonymous
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
2611 posts
314 upvotes
... why was it not incorporated in the Off Topic forum where so much is discussed? ...
I don't remember a "thanks" buttons in the Off Topic before so ...
well the "down vote" in Off Topic ? that would go wild for sure ... would be a "fun" to see who would be the "record holder" and as long as people don't get too personal (good luck with that) I am all for it Winking Face
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1596 posts
175 upvotes
In another world
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 7:51 am
I have to chuckle. TomRFD asked for feedback. I provided and got a down vote for it :)
Don't know what about the post was disagreeable, incorrect, offensive or if it is just someone that wants to punish. Regardless, the person did not have the courtesy to debate, discuss or provide a reason, it just re-enforced the reasons to get rid of down votes..
Yes, I've seen that. People cannot give a simple opinion as they get a downvote for no expressed reason.
Some users really think and put effort in their posts, when a thanks or upvote comes so hard, which in turn gives inspirtion and satisfaction to that user to keep going, however a downvote only triggers the opposite. Users will eventually get discouraged and they won't care what they write ("why the effort?" they would think). Some may be actually encouraged to click downvote to anyone.

A downvote shouldn't be left as easy as to give an upvote. There should be a mechanism or procedure to make it "hard" to give a downvote, so users would think twice before clicking on the thumbs down icon.

It hasn't been mentioned, and I don't think it will be implemented, but how about for each downvote the user gives, an upvote in his profile is removed?
In this case, downvotes should be also be visible in their profiles, and there may be several users with negative downvotes (either given by others or by the user itself by abusing giving too many downvotes).

Heck, why if we can see how many downvotes the user has received, and how many downvotes the user has given?

Would this be turning into a witch hunt?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2007
4814 posts
1107 upvotes
Kootenays
The sad part for me, is there is now no way (that I've seen) to thank someone who starts a thread. This is especially important in the Hot Deals threads. Why can't we give the OP recognition?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2341 posts
2311 upvotes
I agree. They are two different voting system. The best way is keeping both. The "Thanks" system will be for the person and the "upvote/downvote" system will be for the thread/reply
smacd wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 11:01 am
The sad part for me, is there is now no way (that I've seen) to thank someone who starts a thread. This is especially important in the Hot Deals threads. Why can't we give the OP recognition?
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
2611 posts
314 upvotes
smacd wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 11:01 am
so the OP doesn't get the "up" when the thread does ? ... I was thinking that both tread and OP will get the "up vote" when you click it (in hot deals section) ...
Penalty Box
May 10, 2005
25905 posts
2874 upvotes
Ottawa
gontori wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 10:50 am
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 7:51 am
I have to chuckle. TomRFD asked for feedback. I provided and got a down vote for it :)
Yes, I've seen that. People cannot give a simple opinion as they get a downvote for no expressed reason.
Some users really think and put effort in their posts, when a thanks or upvote comes so hard, which in turn gives inspirtion and satisfaction to that user to keep going, however a downvote only triggers the opposite. Users will eventually get discouraged and they won't care what they write ("why the effort?" they would think). Some may be actually encouraged to click downvote to anyone.

A downvote shouldn't be left as easy as to give an upvote. There should be a mechanism or procedure to make it "hard" to give a downvote, so users would think twice before clicking on the thumbs down icon.

It hasn't been mentioned, and I don't think it will be implemented, but how about for each downvote the user gives, an upvote in his profile is removed?
In this case, downvotes should be also be visible in their profiles, and there may be several users with negative downvotes (either given by others or by the user itself by abusing giving too many downvotes).

Heck, why if we can see how many downvotes the user has received, and how many downvotes the user has given?

Would this be turning into a witch hunt?
Just by making them visible every time they give a down vote may discourage the "witch hunts". If everyone knows who is giving the down vote then perhaps it may discourage or at least be able to question that person for an explanation. You can see who gives "thanks" or up votes , why not the down votes too.
The profile does show the downvotes given and received.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel