Site Comments & Suggestions

Update on the new score/voting system

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2017 3:38 pm
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21338 posts
2238 upvotes
9394 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 3:31 pm
I just downvoted your post.
:lol: as did I with some of the other ones above complaining about it ;)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
3680 posts
418 upvotes
Aurora
And yippee! Just checked my profile and saw that some ass-clown whom I don't know down-voted one of my posts, which I can't identify nor rectify. The RFD system is seriously broken.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
979 upvotes
Vaughan
DiceMan wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 10:52 pm
And yippee! Just checked my profile and saw that some ass-clown whom I don't know down-voted one of my posts, which I can't identify nor rectify. The RFD system is seriously broken.
But why does it matter?

Downvotes do not affect anything, at all. It's cosmetic.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
27286 posts
3643 upvotes
Ottawa
So, the end of the year is nearly here....what is the decision on this stupid down voting system?
It still continues to be abused and I see no action by the Admins or RFD to stop it.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 20, 2012
9699 posts
840 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 7:44 am
So, the end of the year is nearly here....what is the decision on this stupid down voting system?
It still continues to be abused and I see no action by the Admins or RFD to stop it.
Damn, bro... you need to chillax and settle down. [..]. All I do is turn off notifications for down votes. Leaves only upvotes... stay positive. At the end of the day it doesnt mean anything. [..]
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
27286 posts
3643 upvotes
Ottawa
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 10:49 am
Damn, bro... you need to chillax and settle down. [..]. All I do is turn off notifications for down votes. Leaves only upvotes... stay positive. At the end of the day it doesnt mean anything. [..]
I don't need to "chillax". I, and many others, have been following this thread and the RFD promise to do something since August and to date nothing has happened.
Questioning is quite acceptable.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1798 posts
886 upvotes
Richmond
Maybe we need a more nuanced downvote system, maybe a dropdown menu with categories.

I'm downvoting this thread/post because:

1: I'm not interested in the deal/topic, and I just thought everyone else would like to know that.
2: I got a better deal last year, and I haven't bothered to check prices lately.
3: I disagree strongly with the poster and I'd like to punish them for having a different opinion. If this was in person I'm be shouting them down and throwing things, so be glad it's online.
4: I think the poster has got something wrong based on my vast and unquestionable experience, but I'll just downvote instead of typing out "You're an idiot and absolutely wrong, but it's not worth my time to explain why." like I would have before.
5: The poster is advocating or explaining how to do something illegal, immoral, or cheating, and I don't think they should do that, but I'm too timid to speak up.
6. The poster is violating the RFD rules, but I can't find the button to report the post because it's in a weird place now.
7. I know it was you that downvoted me.
8. So that's what that thumbs down button does!

Any others...?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2206 posts
675 upvotes
Toronto
At time of posting I've got 24 downvotes. The last 5 within a 1 minute period in 5 diverse threads. I'm thinking this is more abuse than coincidence. Looking forward to the changes.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
3680 posts
418 upvotes
Aurora
DiceMan wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 10:52 pm
And yippee! Just checked my profile and saw that some ass-clown whom I don't know down-voted one of my posts, which I can't identify nor rectify. The RFD system is seriously broken.
Alright! Just got another downvote today on this thread
Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 12th, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2622 posts
576 upvotes
Ottawa
I just got down-voted 12 times, 12 different posts/threads. Have to assume that said individual was incapable of refuting my excellent and well-presented points in a thread ;)

I don't see the point of down-votes, to be honest.
Moderator
May 28, 2012
9332 posts
1731 upvotes
Saskatoon
OttawaGardener wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 6:39 pm
I just got down-voted 12 times, 12 different posts/threads. Have to assume that said individual was incapable of refuting my excellent and well-presented points in a thread ;)

I don't see the point of down-votes, to be honest.
My advice is to report any spikes of downvoting abuse. We will check and if confirmed, the member will be given an infraction. If it persists, the other option is to suspend voting privileges. I looked into yours and the member has been issued an infraction.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4516 posts
807 upvotes
Mississauga
Mars2012 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 6:48 pm
My advice is to report any spikes of downvoting abuse. We will check and if confirmed, the member will be given an infraction. If it persists, the other option is to suspend voting privileges. I looked into yours and the member has been issued an infraction.
How do we report downvotes? Or do we just reply within this thread?

If you look at mine, someone hit me a tonne today. Like 28 downvotes from random threads that don't even have recent activity within the past 2-3 weeks all stamped "3 hours ago", as well as, a batch from earlier this morning all stamped "10 hours ago". Obvious trolling downvoting abuse.
Moderator
May 28, 2012
9332 posts
1731 upvotes
Saskatoon
kenchau wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 10:46 pm
How do we report downvotes? Or do we just reply within this thread?

If you look at mine, someone hit me a tonne today. Like 28 downvotes from random threads that don't even have recent activity within the past 2-3 weeks all stamped "3 hours ago", as well as, a batch from earlier this morning all stamped "10 hours ago". Obvious trolling downvoting abuse.
We've had members report one of their own posts with an explanation about what's going on...or you can make your comment on this thread. I've looked at yours and an infraction has been given.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 20, 2012
9699 posts
840 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Q: Why do down votes mean so much to you guys??

Damn, just do what I do. Turn OFF notifications for down votes. They wont show up on your notification screen OR emails. Down votes do NOT affect your up vote totals. It's not a +/- system like Disqus or Reddit. Obviously RFD plans to keep it as it has been months and still no definitive conclusion as to what the admins will do. So looks like the default is they will keep it. Kinda pathetic.. so might as well do what I do and just ignore the whole thing.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING

Top