Site Comments & Suggestions

Update on the new score/voting system

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2017 3:38 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10572 posts
3850 upvotes
Please, for the love of God, RFD, if you're going to do one thing, please end the anonymity on the downvote feature.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2417 posts
375 upvotes
I'm still not clear on what the purpose of "voting" is nor why everyone seems to care so much about it. Is the number of "upvotes" tied to your account some sort of badge of honor? Is your reputation lessened if you suffer downvotes? The whole thing sounds immature, asinine and pointless to me.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3193 posts
286 upvotes
GTA
Has RFD new signup increase or decrease since downvoting is introduced?

Many of my friends lurks and remained lurking, after seeing how threads quickly derail into debates then name calling.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
2284 posts
3267 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
I've noticed a question mark in a circle next to a thread's score. Clicking it allows me to see a "Score breakdown" of the upvotes and downvotes. There are reasons now showing up for the downvotes:

• Not a good price
  • Bad product/service
  • Poor merchant reputation
  • Unable to get the deal
  • Other (downvote)

Is this something new, as I don't recall seeing it before?
Oct 15, 2016
63 posts
7 upvotes
trystee wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 7:44 pm
I've noticed a question mark in a circle next to a thread's score. Clicking it allows me to see a "Score breakdown" of the upvotes and downvotes. There are reasons now showing up for the downvotes:

• Not a good price
  • Bad product/service
  • Poor merchant reputation
  • Unable to get the deal
  • Other (downvote)

Is this something new, as I don't recall seeing it before?
I just noticed this and is also wondering the same thing. I came this section of the forum hoping for more detail about this new feature, but I'm only seeing "New feature: Thread Hiding."
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3714 posts
458 upvotes
•Not a good price
•Bad product/service
•Poor merchant reputation
•Unable to get the deal
•Other (downvote)
so how do you use it ? I don't see the option to choose ... just the old "up/down" ...
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1695 posts
270 upvotes
Toronto
Just saw I got 12 downvotes for this post in the United Passenger thread in the travel section.

Seriously, of all the junk I post on RFD, this is the one that gets me piled on?!? Just because I didn't subscribe the mob mentality of "condemning" United, but provided a relatively sane, rational overview of how these social media "outrages" never really amount to anything significant in the long-term? I mean it's not like me (or that other poster EastGTARedFlagger that's REALLY getting flogged right now with downvotes) are saying anything controversal or trolling, but basically just some of the legal facts and reality of airline bumping.

In my opinion, RFD needs to get a handle around this downvoting issue. If the point is to group-"bully" non-conforming opinions and viewpoints (as opposed to intentional trolling) from posting, then that means just that much less valuable contribution from RFD members. I've only posted twice in that thread and I've gotten more downvotes there than the rest of my entire posting history.

I say either turn off the downvoting feature or allow RFD members to exclude their posts from voting altogether. If someone disagrees with my post, then let them quote it and provide a counterpoint instead of an anonymous downvote.
Jan 22, 2015
480 posts
113 upvotes
N/A
The "thanks" was just so much more community spirited. R.I.P.

Welcome your Facebook overlords. Or is it Reddit?

Who is RFD copying in an attempt at staying "young"? Couldn't they just colour their hair, get liposuction like the rest of us?