Site Comments & Suggestions

Update on the new score/voting system

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2017 3:38 pm
Jul 11, 2011
643 posts
351 upvotes
Ontario
I had someone (obviously someone with a grudge) search my post history and give me seven down votes (on older, buried posts), all within the course of four minutes last night.

How mature of that person!
Feb 10, 2010
671 posts
166 upvotes
Ajax, ON
I totally hate this new downvote system. I don't see any benefit other than sending people away from this website. I have seen some very valuable members victims of this new system (Pete Coach included) and I am worry that this will make members stop posting.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2404 posts
2343 upvotes
I think the downvote system not just discouraging me posting deal, in fact, it starts to discourage me on any discussion.
ToDealHunter wrote:
Oct 10th, 2016 10:38 am
I totally hate this new downvote system. I don't see any benefit other than sending people away from this website. I have seen some very valuable members victims of this new system (Pete Coach included) and I am worry that this will make members stop posting.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9532 posts
793 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Look how the downvote system is used on reddit?? Nuff said... all the positive upvotes for their buddies or the sheeple crowd answer but as soon as someone provides a different view point they get downvoted. Pathetic!
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Penalty Box
May 10, 2005
26054 posts
2992 upvotes
Ottawa
aznnorth wrote:
Oct 18th, 2016 12:25 pm
Look how the downvote system is used on reddit?? Nuff said... all the positive upvotes for their buddies or the sheeple crowd answer but as soon as someone provides a different view point they get downvoted. Pathetic!
Being of a different viewpoint does get the (your words) sheeple crowd springing into action.

Mid October and the "within a few weeks" promise is still not fulfilled. Very poor performance by the RFD staff (or is it the Yellow Page management?).
"If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it and share it" Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9532 posts
793 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 18th, 2016 12:41 pm
aznnorth wrote:
Oct 18th, 2016 12:25 pm
Being of a different viewpoint does get the (your words) sheeple crowd springing into action.

Mid October and the "within a few weeks" promise is still not fulfilled. Very poor performance by the RFD staff (or is it the Yellow Page management?).
LMAO, I was thinking the exact same thing. How did "several weeks" stretch into months?? Enquiring minds... lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1564 posts
189 upvotes
I don't agree with the new downvoting system either. I think it encourages negativity and mob behaviour on the forum.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9532 posts
793 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
akira1971 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2016 9:37 pm
I don't agree with the new downvoting system either. I think it encourages negativity and mob behaviour on the forum.
Welcome to Reddit.com/subreddit_RFD

Point blank, lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
1836 posts
829 upvotes
Markham
Take away the anonymity and 90% of the problem is solved.
Jan 31, 2016
627 posts
423 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hebsie wrote:
Oct 10th, 2016 7:40 am
I had someone (obviously someone with a grudge) search my post history and give me seven down votes (on older, buried posts), all within the course of four minutes last night.

How mature of that person!
Same just happened to me this morning. Read my post here:

how-deal-serial-downvoter-stalker-rfd-2 ... #p26944982
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1579 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
The quickest way to fix any problem with down votes not being used for the good of the forum is a simple two step process.

1) All votes up or down become visible, if you down vote then people KNOW it was you. (So you have to face up to clicking the button because you would only do that if you have a real problem with the post you are slamming right?)

2) Every down vote you give out costs you 3 up votes that you have received, the amount of negativity on here is so blatant because it costs the trolls nothing to dish out their vitriol. This would help direct users to be helpful instead of hateful.

Let the down votes begin LOL
Jan 31, 2016
627 posts
423 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Canuck2fan wrote:
Oct 24th, 2016 8:00 pm
The quickest way to fix any problem with down votes not being used for the good of the forum is a simple two step process.

1) All votes up or down become visible, if you down vote then people KNOW it was you. (So you have to face up to clicking the button because you would only do that if you have a real problem with the post you are slamming right?)

2) Every down vote you give out costs you 3 up votes that you have received, the amount of negativity on here is so blatant because it costs the trolls nothing to dish out their vitriol. This would help direct users to be helpful instead of hateful.

Agree completely with #1. Not so sure about #2. Have such a sour taste in my mouth since morning due to this crazy vindictive psycho stalker I acquired here on RFD. To this crazy stalker...get therapy....I mean real therapy, not this self-prescribed bash the world for your own issues kind.

All of you RFD abusers, let us be.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2730 posts
967 upvotes
Canuck2fan wrote:
Oct 24th, 2016 8:00 pm

I agree, all down votes need to be accounted for so there is no unfounded voting.

The current setup discourages any form of opinion or reasoning which negates the purpose of an open forum.
Penalty Box
May 10, 2005
26054 posts
2992 upvotes
Ottawa
I got a response to my query from RFD I thought I would share, just to let everyone know where the situation is at this time;
"We had to switch to holiday mode for a bit so modifications to the forum were put on the back burner for a while. We're back into it now so some changes to the voting system are coming soon. I'll communicate them in the thread as they come closer to release but we have not forgotten about it. In regards to a wipe of the down votes, we're holding off on that for the time being as we're currently evaluating down votes auto expiring. ".

At t every least, making the anonymous down voters visible and accountable should put an end, or at least let everyone know who they are and then can retaliate...(yup, exactly what RFD want to see happen :))
Really? Auto expiring down votes makes no sense at all....why have them at all if they are cleaned out occasionally??
"If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it and share it" Anonymous
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1579 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
dotsandpixels wrote:
Oct 24th, 2016 8:43 pm

Agree completely with #1. Not so sure about #2. Have such a sour taste in my mouth since morning due to this crazy vindictive psycho stalker I acquired here on RFD. To this crazy stalker...get therapy....I mean real therapy, not this self-prescribed bash the world for your own issues kind.

All of you RFD abusers, let us be.
If there is NO "cost" to the people trolling and hating by showering other posters with down votes, then it isn't going to stop. If they aren't willing to lose 3 up votes and to have explain the down vote then they could do everyone a favor and keep it to themselves. Down votes anonymously handed out add what value to this site? There isn't anything I can think of....

I remember when this place was mostly positive and an excellent source for deals, along with opinions from people who actually had purchased the item the deal was about.

Can any of the staff or members honestly say that is still true?

What is true is that you better have a pretty thick skin to post anything on any forum here now, but especially if you post a deal, because the trolls are relentless now.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel