May 10, 2005
27938 posts
3957 upvotes
Ottawa
aznnorth wrote:
Oct 25th, 2016 6:37 pm
payam1981 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2016 4:30 pm
Take away the anonymity and 90% of the problem is solved.
Not necessarily.. I'm on another forum that DOES post names for up/down votes and pos/neg reputation scores. Guess, what?? Doesnt matter.. they continue to do it anyway. Worse, if the peeps are teachers pets (aka mods or admin's buddies) complaints against them are ignored. Only an outright ban will stop it or not have the system at all... but since they are the teachers pets they dont get banned either. Eventually the same thing will happen at RFD. Lame.
But at least you can see who they are and then do what yo think is appropriate.
Yep, it can, and will, probably lead to a retaliatory bun fight and will leave the mods no choice but to intervene.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
May 12, 2014
847 posts
335 upvotes
Montreal
Canuck2fan wrote:
Oct 24th, 2016 8:00 pm
...All votes up or down become visible,...Every down vote you give out costs you 3 up votes ...
I think making downvotes visible will automatically lead to even more fights, and will make people reluctant to give downvotes even if deserved (Do you really want to take on the troll and have them retaliate? Or just let them be?)

My preferred solution is to eliminate downvotes. Having them expire is strange: does an abusive or terribly wrong post somehow get better with age?

If you will keep downvotes, then the best idea is that they have a "cost", at least this way (1) people will think twice before downvoting; and (2) they will be forced to contribute positively before being able to downvote.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1630 posts
291 upvotes
Hometown
FrancisBacon wrote:
Oct 26th, 2016 11:26 am

I think making downvotes visible will automatically lead to even more fights, and will make people reluctant to give downvotes even if deserved (Do you really want to take on the troll and have them retaliate? Or just let them be?)

My preferred solution is to eliminate downvotes. Having them expire is strange: does an abusive or terribly wrong post somehow get better with age?

If you will keep downvotes, then the best idea is that they have a "cost", at least this way (1) people will think twice before downvoting; and (2) they will be forced to contribute positively before being able to downvote.
IMO downvotes do nothing positive on any internet forum. I have no problem with someone disagreeing with a post saying so. Unfortunately way too many people these days can't let any criticism go, without launching an all out war over any post that in any way contradicts their beliefs about any subject.

As I said before this site used to be a positive place to find deals and to read real life experience about the value of those products good and bad. Now I see that at 80% of posts are just people personally attacking one another, over and over often in multiple threads?

Anonymous and cost free downvotes just add to the arsenal of the trolls, to attack others.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27938 posts
3957 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 25th, 2016 1:25 pm
I got a response to my query from RFD I thought I would share, just to let everyone know where the situation is at this time;
"We had to switch to holiday mode for a bit so modifications to the forum were put on the back burner for a while. We're back into it now so some changes to the voting system are coming soon. I'll communicate them in the thread as they come closer to release but we have not forgotten about it. In regards to a wipe of the down votes, we're holding off on that for the time being as we're currently evaluating down votes auto expiring. ".

At t every least, making the anonymous down voters visible and accountable should put an end, or at least let everyone know who they are and then can retaliate...(yup, exactly what RFD want to see happen :))
Really? Auto expiring down votes makes no sense at all....why have them at all if they are cleaned out occasionally??
To add to the above post, RFD made a comment on thread how-deal-serial-downvoter-stalker-rfd-2049764/ then locking the thread.
"Yes we are aware some users abuse the down voting feature. We have some options to stop this including but not limited to banning those users from voting. Down voting is a relatively new feature and we continue to make changes to it to make it more useful and to also curb abuse. With that said I will look into your particular situation shortly."

But truthfully, RFD has not made any changes or, made it more useful or, anything to curb abuse as those things are still going on, witnessed by comments on this thread and RFDers making new thread about it.

I cannot understand why the down vote is not either eliminated entirely` or the anonymous portion eliminated. Is RFD management getting PM's requesting it be kept or made stronger? I have not seen a thread encouraging RFD to retain the down vote.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4337 posts
429 upvotes
Downvoting should at least be limited to current posts. Disable the thumbs down for posts greater than 1 or 2 days old. This will greatly reduce the abuse.

Or better yet get rid of it.
I don't do downvotes but feel free to downvote me.👎

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
5775 posts
2044 upvotes
Calgary
I personally think the downvoting system serves an administrative agenda. Though we don't know exactly what it is, obviously it's working for the administrators. Why else they are so reluctant to get rid of it?
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3584 posts
454 upvotes
althetrainer wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 5:01 pm
I personally think the downvoting system serves an administrative agenda. Though we don't know exactly what it is, obviously it's working for the administrators. Why else they are so reluctant to get rid of it?
I am no so sure that most people would like to get rid of it ... maybe a poll with 3 options - yes, no, not sure - would give an idea ?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1853 posts
810 upvotes
Montreal
Well whoever in charge is obviously teaching you guys a lesson about posting deals, so just take the hint and stop posting.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3062 posts
255 upvotes
GTA
On subscribed thread page, Is it possible to allow sorting based on descending score? easier to read highest scored threads on first page, than having to scroll through long list.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27938 posts
3957 upvotes
Ottawa
hebsie wrote:
Oct 10th, 2016 7:40 am
I had someone (obviously someone with a grudge) search my post history and give me seven down votes (on older, buried posts), all within the course of four minutes last night.

How mature of that person!
Just got down vote for a post from 2010 for saying that driving around and paying for parking would negate any savings found while chasing a good exchange rate.
Really looking back to July 2010 just to give a down vote???
Jul 11, 2011
794 posts
465 upvotes
Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 1st, 2016 9:40 am
hebsie wrote:
I had someone (obviously someone with a grudge) search my post history and give me seven down votes (on older, buried posts), all within the course of four minutes last night.

Just got down vote for a post from 2010 for saying that driving around and paying for parking would negate any savings found while chasing a good exchange rate.
...haha, we now need a statute of limitations on how far you can go back and downvote somebody!!!!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27938 posts
3957 upvotes
Ottawa
hebsie wrote:
Nov 1st, 2016 10:02 am
Pete_Coach wrote:
hebsie wrote:

...haha, we now need a statute of limitations on how far you can go back and downvote somebody!!!!
Sad how bad RFD has become isn't it? :(
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8366 posts
12708 upvotes
Scarborough
Pete_Coach wrote:
Adding a limit as to how long you can vote down on a post is something we're looking into.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27938 posts
3957 upvotes
Ottawa
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 1st, 2016 11:48 am
Pete_Coach wrote:
Adding a limit as to how long you can vote down on a post is something we're looking into.
Thanks Tom.
What about the promise to do something that you made waaaay back in August? Clearly the abuse of down voting privileges is still going on.
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8366 posts
12708 upvotes
Scarborough
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 1st, 2016 12:25 pm
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 1st, 2016 11:48 am
Pete_Coach wrote:
Thanks Tom.
What about the promise to do something that you made waaaay back in August? Clearly the abuse of down voting privileges is still going on.
Trust me I have not forgotten about down votes. We spent a good bit of time on bug fixes and other improvements after the initial release and then had to quickly go into holidays mode. For the past few weeks we've been back working on the forums so a lot of improvements will be coming out soon. There's a few smaller changes coming to voting next week and we'll finally be able to take a deeper look at more major improvements to the system.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)