*update phase 3 started* - gamestop to close 2400 US stores in Q4

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2020 10:22 am
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3680 posts
1197 upvotes
Ajax
Kkhan15 wrote: Myself and others I know don't even bother spending the $80 brand new on a new game. Wait a week and save tax online through Kijiji or FB, or even a few more bucks if used within a week. If you are into sport games, wait until Black Friday (which EB game prices are known to be higher then Walmart or BB)
If you can get yourself into a 4-5+ month backlog situation, then you can game fairly cheaply. Unless it some big time online title, it can be easy to game this way.
Feb 16, 2018
912 posts
858 upvotes
mrtvgame wrote: If you can get yourself into a 4-5+ month backlog situation, then you can game fairly cheaply. Unless it some big time online title, it can be easy to game this way.
This. I used to buy all the titles when they were first released. With a wife and 4 kids I don't have the time I used to have to play games anymore. I still bought them regardless and I would have tons of games sitting there waiting to be played, it would be common for me to buy games at release and still have them unopened 2-3 months later. Now I just make a list of the games I want as they come out and wait 6 months or a year or so to buy them. It's about 1/4 of the price I used to pay and I never have a shortage of games to play.

It's been about 4 years since I bought a game on it's release date but I plan to break that rule with The Last of US 2
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3948 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: If you can get yourself into a 4-5+ month backlog situation, then you can game fairly cheaply. Unless it some big time online title, it can be easy to game this way.
It used to be easier to get value back from new games if you planned ahead and pre-order most things with E3 deals, then trade them in within a month as most wanted titles to EB... usually end up getting almost full value. But those E3 deals have dried up more recently.

Thank goodness for Game Pass though
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Sep 2, 2009
527 posts
334 upvotes
Ottawa
HghSsociety wrote: This. I used to buy all the titles when they were first released. With a wife and 4 kids I don't have the time I used to have to play games anymore. I still bought them regardless and I would have tons of games sitting there waiting to be played, it would be common for me to buy games at release and still have them unopened 2-3 months later. Now I just make a list of the games I want as they come out and wait 6 months or a year or so to buy them. It's about 1/4 of the price I used to pay and I never have a shortage of games to play.

It's been about 4 years since I bought a game on it's release date but I plan to break that rule with The Last of US 2
The library here has games; I'll borrow it before buying now (unless I must play it). TLOU2 likely to also break that rule :)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3680 posts
1197 upvotes
Ajax
BernardRyder wrote: Reggie is coming to save the day

Fils-Aime joins Board of Directors

Too little too late? And why not give him a more important position? Maybe this is a retirement project for him.
They have brought in others from Walmart, Pepsi, etc. It is a positive PR move while these folks make oversights and vote on decisions to dissolve the company. Looks like a slow gutting while these folks will still walk away with millions. The store is basically a novelty store at this point.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3948 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto
Just picked up Doom Eternal and they're not taking any cash or trades to limit the spread of COVID-19. I feel like this might be the death knell for EB, as selling used games is a big part of their revenue stream.

*Edit - this was the day before release - my EB games allowed early release to ease lineups for release day the next day. The store was pretty on Thursday night.

As we saw in the media, the early release didn't really help and people were lined up in front of EB totally ignoring social distancing protocols :facepalm:
Last edited by M1GOmigs on Mar 20th, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3680 posts
1197 upvotes
Ajax
M1GOmigs wrote: Just picked up Doom Eternal and they're not taking any cash or trades to limit the spread of COVID-19. I feel like this might be the death knell for EB, as selling used games is a big part of their revenue stream.
Saw the lineup in Toronto this morning for Animal Crossing. Sad that EB Games seems to have not gotten the message nor the idiots lining up less than 6 feet apart. Hope the game was worth it. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3948 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: Saw the lineup in Toronto this morning for Animal Crossing. Sad that EB Games seems to have not gotten the message nor the idiots lining up less than 6 feet apart. Hope the game was worth it. :facepalm:
Yeah, really terrible and short-sighted decision, and it's gonna bite them in the ass big time. All the shoe stores managed to quell their lines for shoe releases... EB should've found another way to do this, or stagger the release based on when someone pre-ordered.
Last edited by M1GOmigs on Mar 21st, 2020 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
20120 posts
20891 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: Saw the lineup in Toronto this morning for Animal Crossing. Sad that EB Games seems to have not gotten the message nor the idiots lining up less than 6 feet apart. Hope the game was worth it. :facepalm:
EB Games finally shut down their stores. Too late if you ask me

Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1258 posts
1327 upvotes
Premier Ford was pretty annoyed with the Toronto location being open. I think EB is looking at bottom line, trying to make their quarterly earnings and hoping they could profit while everyone else shuts down. Shameful.

I found this and read through it. Very interesting read if true
EBGames conference call
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7969 posts
2455 upvotes
Mall rent is over $30,000 a month for a store that occupies their usual amount of space.

This family owned Toronto restaurant is asking for $38,000 in a gofundme campaign, and their restaurant has not
even been closed for one week yet. Don't know if they are adapting to take-out and delivery only.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2020/0 ... 0Pc7SejY1Y

BernardRyder wrote: Premier Ford was pretty annoyed with the Toronto location being open. I think EB is looking at bottom line, trying to make their quarterly earnings and hoping they could profit while everyone else shuts down. Shameful.

EBGames conference call
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3680 posts
1197 upvotes
Ajax
XFactor11 wrote: Mall rent is over $30,000 a month for a store that occupies their usual amount of space.

This family owned Toronto restaurant is asking for $38,000 in a gofundme campaign, and their restaurant has not
even been closed for one week yet. Don't know if they are adapting to take-out and delivery only.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2020/0 ... 0Pc7SejY1Y
Yes, I am curious about these kinds of requests. Suggesting these businesses were on the verge of closing regardless of COVID-19.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3680 posts
1197 upvotes
Ajax
sprung wrote: EB Games finally shut down their stores. Too late if you ask me

Too little too late as always with this company. Sure almost every major retailer had these emails and communications out over a week ago. EB did not have to shut down. They could have limited people in their stores and had set up outside to enable the required social distancing. For the new release, they could have called their pre-order list and give them specific window. For walk ups the sign should read NO WALK UPs available. The joke here would be EB suggesting they are going to up their cleaning practices in stores. Oh you mean actually start cleaning? lol
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3680 posts
1197 upvotes
Ajax
BernardRyder wrote: Premier Ford was pretty annoyed with the Toronto location being open. I think EB is looking at bottom line, trying to make their quarterly earnings and hoping they could profit while everyone else shuts down. Shameful.

EBGames conference call
If any of that is true, then those folks should be charged. Absolutely pathetic POS company.