Automotive

Update - sportmotors.ca is honest and forthright.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 12:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13394 posts
1223 upvotes

Update - sportmotors.ca is honest and forthright.

I spoke today to Mustafa and he was straightforward about the laws concerning moving cars between provinces, and that a salvage title is standard practice when coming from Quebec to Ontario.
Last edited by Syne on Nov 10th, 2017 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
36 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13394 posts
1223 upvotes
but muh Confido earnings...
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4249 posts
2591 upvotes
North York
so? you didn't buy the car!

"Stop trading your car to the dealership!!"
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/stop-tr ... p-2141296/
"Used dealership lied to me today about salvage title on car", etc.

are you expecting everyone to be flat out brutally honest to you?
things like these are not uncommon, dealerships lie, autoshops lie, people lie...
It's up to you to do your own research.
Oct 26, 2009
671 posts
137 upvotes
You didn't buy it yet so count yourself lucky. Find another beater
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40936 posts
9844 upvotes
Syne wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:41 am
So today I had a chance to test drive the following car:

https://sportmotors.ca/inventory/2014-v ... a/2429891/

The year was good, the kms were low, the price was right, I asked if there were any claims, and the salesman said that there was a minor claim but it was cosmetic. I was almost ready to put in an offer.. but I thought first I should ask my buddy who works at Carproof to run a report for me. The following report came back:

Imagecarproof1

Imagecarproof2

Imagecarproof3

.. So apparently this car is a salvage??? I'm a bit taken aback for the following reasons

1.) The lot posts the VIN on their website, so anyone can check this

2.) My friend can check who has pulled the VIN and the only other person who pulled the Carproof is the guy who owns this dealership and it was 6 months ago shortly after the accident. Does that mean they bought it, repaired it, then didn't tell anyone about it?

3.) If it's a salvage, can they even sell it to me without giving it 'rebuilt' status? My understanding is that if I try to register and insure a salvaged vehicle, I will be denied until it's rebuilt, and even then, I may have issues insuring it, and certainly issues reselling it.

Tomorrow, I plan on going back to the dealership and asking again if there have been any major repairs done to the vehicle. I will bring a copy of the updated Carproof. Any suggestions or strategies that anyone can provide me? Should I put my phone on record like CBC Marketplace? Should I slam them with the truth if they try to provide me a 6 month old report?

The craziest thing is, I test drove this and it was a beautiful ride. I want this car, but if I can't resell it or insure it easily, I can't give them even close what they are asking.
Next time, why don't you reverse the order and check the carproof report before you spend more time with the sales rep?

Are you one of those CBC investigative reporters? :)

Or will you be offering cheap or free reports here on RFD?

Somehow, your actions got to lead somewhere. :)

Happy car hunting.
Aug 22, 2017
247 posts
71 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:27 am
Next time, why don't you reverse the order and check the carproof report before you spend more time with the sales rep?

Are you one of those CBC investigative reporters? :)

Or will you be offering cheap or free reports here on RFD?

Somehow, your actions got to lead somewhere. :)

Happy car hunting.
+1 That would be the first thing I ask before test driving a vehicle, CAR PROOF. Once verified, then next step take it to a reliable mechanic (who wouldn't lie to your face). Have him run his computer on the car to test for mechanical errors, and let him physically see the car for paint marks/broken components, then drive the car with your mechanic to see comfort/durability. Never offer upfront money or show the dealership your interested in the car, until your own checks are done.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1967 posts
936 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Don’t waste any more of your time & energy on this vehicle or this used car lot. Not worth it for either.

Keep looking.
Aug 8, 2006
294 posts
35 upvotes
You could've just asked the dealer for the carproof in the first place.

Heck, even before you walk into the place, email them and ask for it.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4345 posts
2950 upvotes
GTA
Why would you even want this salvage car? Run away. If you feel bitter leave a bad online review for the dealership.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7806 posts
1885 upvotes
Brampton
Dealers lie all the time, everyone lies in the used car game. It's Always Caveat Emptor with used cars.

If you want it that badly I'd get a mechanic to look at it and see how bad the damage is/was. Use the accident to your advantage to negotiate.

If you don't have the stomach for that kind of thing, run away and look at another car.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4739 posts
2312 upvotes
Edmonton
kabyLake wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:34 am
+1 That would be the first thing I ask before test driving a vehicle, CAR PROOF. Once verified, then next step take it to a reliable mechanic (who wouldn't lie to your face). Have him run his computer on the car to test for mechanical errors, and let him physically see the car for paint marks/broken components, then drive the car with your mechanic to see comfort/durability. Never offer upfront money or show the dealership your interested in the car, until your own checks are done.
Really? You'd get a CarProof report first. Then take it to a mechanic (at your cost). All before taking it for a test drive?

C
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1967 posts
936 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Syne wrote:
I spoke today to Mustafa and he was straightforward about the laws concerning moving cars between provinces, and that a salvage title is standard practice when coming from Quebec to Ontario.
That’s great that they’re actually not trying to lie to you, but you still need to move on as you’re wasting your time....

(a) Admitting that the vehicle was salvaged is great but it doesn’t change the fact that it was damaged enough to write it off in the first place! If it could have been fixed to better than factory new, then it wouldn’t have needed to be exported from QC in the first place. There’s like 90%!chance you’ll have issues after 6 months and there’s 100% chance of having difficulty with resale later

(b) Although not hiding the fact now, they did conveniently ignore telling you about it sooner in the process in order to get you interested and start to lose your skepticism by getting you attached to the deal. They’re kind of still being dishonest by now appearing to be more honest to gain your trust - if that makes sense

(c) Finally, if this is the caliber of car that they’re putting out on their lot then they’re at the shady end of the spectrum on their inventory and practices. Not at they extreme end of the spectrum but not in prime territory where you can trust the inventory or the people

I know it’s tough - but move on and keep looking!
Sep 29, 2008
784 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
Syne wrote:
IS BEST BRO!!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40936 posts
9844 upvotes
Syne wrote:
So has the car ever been in a significant accident or not? :)

Is the dealer honest and forthright for this vehicle or in general, i.e. did you go test a few more vehicles on the lot armed with carproof reports?