Update: Yoga studio refuse to postpone my membership due to pregnancy

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2019 3:11 pm
[OP]
May 30, 2019
18 posts
8 upvotes

Update: Yoga studio refuse to postpone my membership due to pregnancy

I went back to the studio for their reduced heat yoga class, I stayed close to the door of the yoga room . Before the class started I nicely asked the instructor and the students (there were 8-9 students in the class) if I can leave the door with a small gap to get a little breeze due to pregnancy, they said they have no problem with it, so I left the door with a little gap. You know what? The owner called me at night and immediately started yelling at me when I picked up the phone, claiming that I disturbed the class and he would not let me in if I ever request to leave a gap of the door, then he hang up on me while I was trying to talk. Wow! What a life experience being treated like this!

Now I’m over angry that I’m actually not angry anymore. I start laughing. Good luck with their business by treating customers like this .

Thanks for reading.

——

I am a loyal customer of a yoga studio, I always buy 30 or 50 Class cards and use it up then I buy new one. On my first pregnancy, the owner postponed my classes for two years, however after they change ownership, the new owner refused to postpone my class card for my second pregnancy. They don’t offer any classes in room temperature, my doctor doesn’t recommend me to attend any hot yoga classes neither, My class card will for sure expire before I can practice again. I trust the studio and I just paid the latest class card by credit card on the phone without signing a contract. I also didn’t ask about if they can postpone my class cards if I’m pregnant because they did it for me the first time. I totally wasn’t aware that 8 month later there is a ownership change. I keep telling the new owner that I’m loyal, I kept going back and will go back for sure after I recover. The owner apparently didn’t care about my long term business opportunity.

I read online about this new owner. There are some other bad reviews too. One lady got a one year membership as gift but didn’t activate for a year, then she was not allowed to activate the membership anymore. The owner replied the customer's review with personal attack (She posted on FB so the owner can see her profile) ...

Sigh. The law in Ontario does allow service to expire so there is nothing I can do. Being pregnant is like a medical emergency that most of the gym owners will agree to extend whatever you bought from them.
Last edited by nekosen on Sep 18th, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.
63 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15932 posts
6119 upvotes
There may be various laws within your province that govern consumer rights (such as cooling off period) - post your province and that may help people make appropriate suggestions to what you are entitled to (which is different than what you may be offered).

An example is that Ontario has "Consumer Protection Ontario": https://www.ontario.ca/page/taking-acti ... mer-rights They would be a great place to start because they do regulate typical gyms.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23967 posts
9505 upvotes
Isn't that kind of the point of buying in bulk to potentially save money?
You could have bought individual passes instead.

You don't really have a leg to stand on (heh) in terms of a refund.

You could resort to leaving a review at whatever review site, but that just makes you look like an entitled customer.
[OP]
May 30, 2019
18 posts
8 upvotes
I wasn't asking for a refund. I was asking to postpone my class card due to pregnancy. I didn't even sign a contract with them. Is there a way to solve this?

Thank you!
Oct 24, 2005
935 posts
194 upvotes
Yell at them and make a big scene. If that doesn't work try crying uncontrollably in front of them and try working the sympathy angle. If that still doesn't work go back to yelling and threaten to sue and then storm out of there knocking some things over on your way out.
Last edited by blarg on Aug 16th, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23967 posts
9505 upvotes
nekosen wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 9:46 pm
get my money back?
nekosen wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 10:22 pm
I wasn't asking for a refund.
I think your definition of a refund is different than mine.
I was asking to postpone my class card due to pregnancy.

I believe you did and it was rejected.
I didn't even sign a contract with them.
IANAL, but if there's an expiry date on the card that probably counts "close enough" as a contract.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15932 posts
6119 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 1:09 am
I think your definition of a refund is different than mine.

You're not really reading the post in the context it was written and trying to spin a different meaning.

The OP has attempted to have their punch card expiry date extended. The only entity they feel that could do this is the yoga studio. The yoga studio said no. This was their preferred method and as they indicated what they have done before so it's reasonable to think this was the ideal and acceptable solution.

Now that the expiration date of their punch card has not been extended they are looking towards other options that are not preferred. This includes complaining to someone about it (I assume they are referring to a government entity or consumer help entity that helps consumers with their provincial consumer protection laws) and seeking whether they have the right to demand a refund since their ideal option of having it simply extended is not being offered.

It's all about context.
IANAL, but if there's an expiry date on the card that probably counts "close enough" as a contract.
Not if it's illegal to have an expiry date. In Saskatchewan you are not allowed to have an expiry date for prepaid "passes" and if the OP was in Saskatchewan their passes would not be allowed to expire. Regardless of what contract they enter into with the gym / studio who are either unaware or aware but trying to pull a fast one, their passes would never expire.
Apr 4, 2017
216 posts
170 upvotes
nekosen wrote:
I am a loyal customer of a yoga studio, I always buy 30 or 50 Class cards and use it up then I buy new one. On my first pregnancy, the owner postponed my classes for two years, however after they change ownership, the new owner refused to postpone my class card for my second pregnancy. They don’t offer any classes in room temperature, my doctor doesn’t recommend me to attend any hot yoga classes neither, My class card will for sure expire before I can practice again. I trust the studio and I just paid the latest class card by credit card on the phone without signing a contract. How can I complain or get my money back? Thanks!
What studio? Publicly shame them
Aug 8, 2019
127 posts
85 upvotes
For me it would be too troublesome to involve any lawyer / government / whatever authority.
I would ask nicely again the Yoga studio (perhaps with the instructor if you are on good terms) if they could offer this as a good gesture.
If not, I would probably just either sell the card to coworkers at a discount or gift it to friends / family.

At most I would write a negative review if I still feel bad about it.
Then, I would look for a different studio afterwards.

Also, congrats on the pregnancy.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12589 posts
1954 upvotes
City of Vancouver
https://o.canada.com/health-2/hot-yoga- ... ctors-warn

"...Neural tube defects occur early in pregnancy. The embryo forms a brain and spinal cord by essentially folding a flat portion of embryo into a tube.

If the tube doesn’t completely close, the result can be either spina bifida, which can cause paralysis, or anencephaly, a devastating defect in which a baby is born with parts of the brain and skull missing.

This neural tube rolling up and closing is completed by the 28th day of pregnancy. It’s possible that a high body temperature may disrupt that process, Koren said.

Two recent reviews suggest that yoga in pregnancy can lower stress, pain and anxiety and improve sleep. “Yoga, per se, is not the issue,” Koren stressed. “It’s the heat (newly pregnant women) should avoid.”

He recommends women avoid hot yoga during their first trimester of pregnancy. Hot yoga is safer in the second and third trimester unless the woman has other restrictions related to heat exposure, he said, such as low or high blood pressure, fatigue, a chronic illness or severe morning sickness..."

^^ Ask the dr if u can do hot yoga later in pregnancy. Then, write bad reviews everywhere like yelp and online forums naming the yoga place/location. Don't stop pleading with the studio to work with u on this issue. New management may not be aware of this neural tube issue with developing fetuses, and it would look really bad for them if a local consumer reporter got a hold of this story.
Last edited by Becks on Aug 16th, 2019 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2545 posts
1569 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
nekosen wrote:
I am a loyal customer of a yoga studio, I always buy 30 or 50 Class cards and use it up then I buy new one. On my first pregnancy, the owner postponed my classes for two years, however after they change ownership, the new owner refused to postpone my class card for my second pregnancy. They don’t offer any classes in room temperature, my doctor doesn’t recommend me to attend any hot yoga classes neither, My class card will for sure expire before I can practice again. I trust the studio and I just paid the latest class card by credit card on the phone without signing a contract. How can I complain or get my money back? Thanks!
Potential legislation in your jurisdiction prohibiting expiry dates of pre-paid passes/tickets other than gift cards will of course change my response, but in the assumption there is no such legislation...

If you knew before making this latest purchase of punch cards that there was an expiry date, you have no grounds to make a complaint or get your money back.

If you knew you may be getting (or already were) pregnant and did not ask about postponing the class for your pregnancy before this latest purchase of punch cards, you have no grounds to make a complaint or get your money back.

Sounds like you made a whole bunch of assumptions here, and went ahead and made the purchase based on those assumptions. You did not do your basic due diligence, and the vendor isn't required to make accommodations for you simply because of your pregnancy, or what the previous owner did. As for the hot yoga - you would have known before the latest purchase that they only did hot yoga, so that's irrelevant.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11486 posts
4837 upvotes
Toronto
sell the card to other yoga studio users at a discount.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2540 posts
1132 upvotes
Edmonton
nekosen wrote:
In this situation, you were expecting postponement of services as the business previously provided to you. In the absence of any written contract you may have agreed to, which doesn’t seem to be the case, just proceed with a chargeback for the reason of “the cardholder claims the goods or services were either not as described or defective.”

Given that you did not sign for this charge, you have a good case to support the fact that they effectively changed the terms of your purchase without notice notwithstanding the change of ownership.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14196 posts
3535 upvotes
London
Swerny wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 11:17 am
sell the card to other yoga studio users at a discount.
nekosen wrote:
I am a loyal customer of a yoga studio, ....My class card will for sure expire before I can practice again. I trust the studio and I just paid the latest class card by credit card on the phone without signing a contract. How can I complain or get my money back? Thanks!

Least stressful solution. If there's a post board at the studio, but up a fore sale notice for 75% of the remaining value. Also kijiji and craigslist ads
Jan 12, 2005
741 posts
181 upvotes
If you can’t find a way, call the news. Lack of accommodation for pregnant women always gets attention