Computers & Electronics

Update your Asus routers' firmware or risk being hacked.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2018 3:05 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4255 posts
833 upvotes
T.O.

Update your Asus routers' firmware or risk being hacked.

Had my router hacked last week. Thing is that I downgraded the firmware for a test, and forgot to upgrade it back. I saw another user on reddit having almost an identical issue. Most people set their routers and forget about them, so a lot of hacked routers could be running and no one would ever notice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking ... s_changed/

Would recommend upgrading to the latest firmware, disabling VPN as PPTP is outdated and vulnerable.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5602 posts
3999 upvotes
GTA
Hmm i noticed the same thing, my language was changed to something else a day or two ago.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
The safest step would be to disable access to the Asus Router from the WAN, I have the Merlin FW installed on mine, so I can't confirm if these steps still apply to the Asus FW, but give this a try

BTW, I had a look at the link provided in the Reddit post, and found that the router passwords are still the same on many of the IP's listed.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4255 posts
833 upvotes
T.O.
shabby wrote: Hmm i noticed the same thing, my language was changed to something else a day or two ago.
Did you check your DNS’? Were they also changed? What about the firmware version?
Rick007 wrote: The safest step would be to disable access to the Asus Router from the WAN, I have the Merlin FW installed on mine, so I can't confirm if these steps still apply to the Asus FW, but give this a try

BTW, I had a look at the link provided in the Reddit post, and found that the router passwords are still the same on many of the IP's listed.
Noticed that too. But it seems the Asus ones are not all defaulted.

Yeah, i disabled wan access too.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6584 posts
1749 upvotes
rural ontario
Scanning my Asus router logs, I see daily attempts with "router security vulnerability attack" from different IPs. I run the latest Merlin.

--disabling access to the Asus Router from the WAN as mentioned above is the first great step for any router to lock it down.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Jan 14, 2010
320 posts
108 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm one update behind the latest, and I use OpenVPN for remote access. I'll be updating as soon as I get home tonight.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2575 posts
1757 upvotes
shabby wrote: Hmm i noticed the same thing, my language was changed to something else a day or two ago.
did you have web access from wan enabled aswell?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)