Computers & Electronics

Updated! Can you hook up a laptop to a mouse, kB, monitor? Have laptop closed?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 1:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 25, 2017
111 posts
Winnipeg

Updated! Can you hook up a laptop to a mouse, kB, monitor? Have laptop closed?

Can I easily treat a laptop like a desktop? Thanks

Also, it's a pretty nice laptop ie i7, SSD, GTX 1060..... I do not need the portability. So I thought about selling it and getting a desktop... But the problem is, I'll lose money and not get an equal machine. Is it ok to run a laptop like a desktop in this day and age? Overall it would be gaming a few times a week but I like to run bots.... Clash, etc
Last edited by Ov1528455 on Dec 6th, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For sale. Sealed iphone X 256. Note 8 with extras. Iphone 7 unlocked with extras. Acer Predator high end gaming laptop
12 replies
Feb 5, 2007
260 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
plug your external monitor in and go to resolutions set it as "display screen ___ only". Rest are no brainer usb plugs
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7589 posts
2511 upvotes
ON
Yes, of course.
Get a docking station and even easier if you want to be portable but also have desktop like use.
Oct 2, 2013
777 posts
179 upvotes
You can, just config in power management to make sure that you laptops won't sleep or shutdown when you close the lid, so basically set close lid action to nothing
[OP]
Jul 25, 2017
111 posts
Winnipeg
Awesome, thanks dudes. I have a powerful laptop but I want to play on a larger wcreen!
For sale. Sealed iphone X 256. Note 8 with extras. Iphone 7 unlocked with extras. Acer Predator high end gaming laptop
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14376 posts
902 upvotes
Markham
Might want to keep it open since some laptops are designed to be used open (mine has the exhaust vent by the LCD hinge, which gets blocked when the lid is closed)
ShadowVlican
[OP]
Jul 25, 2017
111 posts
Winnipeg
Ok, thanks. I have a large desk.... I can face it beside or away. Is there a way to play games on the monitor, but desktop on the laptops monitor? Sounds stupid. Lol
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
1833 posts
513 upvotes
Ov1528455 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:41 pm
Ok, thanks. I have a large desk.... I can face it beside or away. Is there a way to play games on the monitor, but desktop on the laptops monitor? Sounds stupid. Lol
Yes, just use Extend Displays and make the monitor the primary.
Feb 5, 2007
260 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
doing so creates a dual monitor situation similar to my instruction above. instead of choosing "use display only" choose "extend display" and pick one as priority. do note the extra strain on your GPU so it could cause extra heat/strain especially when gaming
[OP]
Jul 25, 2017
111 posts
Winnipeg
Updated. Can I run it steady or should I go desktop?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5372 posts
593 upvotes
Ov1528455 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:35 am
Updated. Can I run it steady or should I go desktop?
You can but a desktop would still give you better performance. For that hardware listed leave the internal lid open to aid cooling, closing it will make it mroe toasty.

It should be fine doing dual displays too. It probably has Nvidia Optimus so the non gaming display will be powered by Intel Graphics, not the nVidia Card
[OP]
Jul 25, 2017
111 posts
Winnipeg
Yea, I know the obvious benefit.... But like I said, even if I got 1200$ for the laptop.... I'm not sure the desktop would be equivalent. Sigh... And since I won't game too much, I keep flip flopping lol. Dual screens is not a big deal, I was just curious. Thanks all
Jan 10, 2017
402 posts
146 upvotes
GTA
Gaming with dual screens won't strain the gpu usually at all unless you enable the game to display on both screens. Usual set ups is having one screen stream league or overwatch competitive twitch streams in example while you play your game on the desktop screen.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread