Computers & Electronics

"UPDATED" ---DELL - The PC Company From HELL- Read This First If You Buy From DELL

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2014 1:19 am
[OP]
Nov 30, 2007
134 posts
19 upvotes

"UPDATED" ---DELL - The PC Company From HELL- Read This First If You Buy From DELL

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS IN RED BOLD

SUMMARY OF MY HELLISH EXPERIENCE WITH DELL

• Was in need of an all in one portable touchscreen PC to serve as a mobile engineering workstation for personal use

• Needed it in 10 days so I purchased a prebuilt Dell XPS18 from online store because item was in stock and would be shipped out next day

• Within minutes of transaction, order status shows item is sold out and there would be 2 week delay

• DELL doesn't even have the decency to tell you, you have to check status yourself

• Returned to online store only to see it still shows item is available for next day shipping

• for a week, it continues to say PC is in stock when in fact there's nothing to ship out

• DELL uses false promises of fast shipping and ample stock to get consumers to commit to purchase

• Only after DELL receives credit card info does the customer learn of stock shortages and extremely long delays

• I immediately cancel transaction and receive confirmation 24 hrs later that my purchase has been cancelled

• Despite cancellation, DELL still ships me PC but fails to charge my Visa card

• Online research reveals DELL is notorious for shipping out cancelled orders and then billing credit card as much as 6 months later.

• For over a week of trying to get DELL to take back PC, All requests have been ignored

• Had to fire off 2 massive email carpet bombs directed towards DELL executives and board of directors to finally get a response

• but DELL inaction continues to prevail and it’s been 17 days with all requests either being ignored or diverted to other departments within DELL only to be ignored again

• Contacted Visa with allegations that DELL is deliberately making it impossible for me to get them to retrieve unwanted PC inform them that DELL has a history of charging for cancelled orders a half year later

• Only preemptive measure of avoiding charges is to cancel credit card, but this could potentially result in tarnishing my credit rating

• On the 17th day, finally receive a response from DELL with on offer of a 10% discount to make up for 3 weeks of DELL Hell that started the day I received the PC from a cancelled transaction

• Told DELL 10% offer was a slap in the face because DELL treated me like crap for 17 days when I was only trying to perform a good deed by returning $1100 worth of property back to DELL

• Declared that I would no longer communicate with DELL unless it was to arrange pick up of PC by courier

• SR. DELL REP in India agrees to my terms and will arrange pick up with location and time of my choosing, I ask for Mon. Mar 3rd at my place of employment

• Next day, DELL Cancels courier pick up, insists that I must pack up item and take it to nearest Purolator office which is over half an hour away from workplace

• This will result in having to take part of the day off from work and incurred fuel expenses . Lost wages and expenses due to DELL incompetence would total $60 minimum to

• Bottom line, I need to lose/spend my own money to fix DELL's "F"-up

• DELL request unacceptable, going to give them 2 final options

Option 1 - PC will gather dust due to DELL's refusal to retrieve PC, going to request new Visa card to replace the one DELL has on record and then share this story on as many websites as I can

Option 2 - against my advice, co-worker has requested that I submit his offer to buy PC for $650 for original invoice of $1,117.28
(please keep in mind that I told DELL even if they gave me the PC for $1 - I'd reject it because it would mean I have to continue dealing with DELL should warranty and support issues arise. And I just purchased Lenovo Flex 20 all in one PC on sale from staples for $799)

• Coworker withdraws offer of $650, does not want DELL to possess his credit card info

• Thanks to RFD members, learn that DELL rep is wrong that I am required to drop off PC at distant Purolator facility, pick up is available

• Almost 6 weeks after receiving PC from cancelled order and 5 weeks of trying to get DELL to take it back, Purolator delivers it back to DELL to end the most horrific
shopping experience of my life

• DELL is by far to most dishonest, disreputable and deliberately misleading company I've had the misfortune of dealing with, perfectly complimented with the absolutely most horrendous customer service imaginable

Don't just take my word, Others have fell victim to DELL's shady business ethics.

_Allan_ wrote:
Mar 8th, 2014 12:33 pm
I'm thinking of launching a law suit against Dell for violation of
The 14 Clauses of the Canadian Code of Advertising Standards

Second is
Ontario Consumer Protection Act

By the site saying a device will ship "next day" and the only way to find out "after financing is re-approved" is by hovering over (NOT clicking) a link, they are making deceptive representations.
I ordered a laptop because it said it would be delivered on Monday March 10th. They cancelled that order (with out telling me...) and then reordered it on Thursday with a new ship date of Wed. Mar. 13, 2014, and delivery a week later. I should just borrow some money and buy a new laptop from a store.

arisk wrote:
Feb 8th, 2014 7:32 am
Much the same issue I'm currently dealing experiencing with Dell.

There is an item with "smart selection", (ready to ship), advertised with next day estimated ship date.
When I ordered it, I didn't get a confirmation email after 24 hours, so I called.
Not being "confirmed", there is no order number yet associated with it (which is the first question they ask).
They won't pursue it for 48 hours.
After 48 hours, which has now missed the ship date by a day, I'm referred to a sales rep, who steps it up to "confirmed".
That confirmation now states the estimated ship date is now 11 days later than advertised.
They then try to argue, it takes time to deliver and that accounts for it.
Yet when challenged, it's the ship date which is now 11 days into the future.
Also the price is slightly different, and he tries to argue I'm looking at before and after tax (I'm not).
Trying to explain delivery date/ship date, and pre/post tax pricing to them is infuriating.
The item is still on the website as shipping the next day, and the price has remained the same.

• Deceptive tactics also apply for custom built systems when customers wish to cancel

• DELL will not grant cancellation requests claiming that custom PC is already being assembled

• But shortly after denying cancellation, arrival dates for these custom builds have been reported to be increased as much as a month

• If custom build was really in the assembly stage, why would DELL require additional time of upwards to a month

• Add this to DELL’s list of shady and unethical business practices

Original post begins here

So 3 weeks ago, I ordered one of Dell's pre-built XPS 18 ginormous windows 8 all in one portable desktops with the knowledge that it was in stock and would be shipped out the next day. So I place the order and make the purchase with my Visa. About an hour later, I check the status of my order and it states that the system was not in stock and would not be available for shipment for 2 weeks. So instead of receiving within a week, I have to wait over 3 weeks. Being slightly annoyed, I cancel the order and was instructed by the Dell agent to check the status of the order the following day to ensure the request went through. So 24 hrs later, I check the status and it shows the order being cancelled.

So anyone care to guess what arrived via Purolator today ? You got it, a brand new XPS 18 all in one desktop. First thing I checked was my Visa balance and no charges have been made.

So what to do now? And before any flame wars can erupt, I don't plan on keeping it without paying for it.

My question is, anyone think I can use this Dell Foul Up as leverage to get a better price?
187 replies
Jul 27, 2009
743 posts
219 upvotes
toronto
So????? Keep your mouth shut and hope for the best. Worst case scenario, you tell them its at your house and they can come pick it up.
May 2, 2013
186 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
That happened to me once, they forgot to charge me for a $500 laptop.

6 months later they charged me and send me an invoice. They won't forget about it.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2007
134 posts
19 upvotes
On a funny side note. I read a similar scenario at Fat Wallet (American version of RFD's) where a cancelled Dell order was shipped and not charged. When the OP posted his story, Dell was flooded with a bunch of cancelled orders the next day.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6054 posts
4260 upvotes
Richmond Hill
They'll either come back to you later, or reroute the shipment back.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7977 posts
251 upvotes
You have great leverage since you cancelled they have to take it back. If you still want it, call and tell them you received it even though it was cancelled but now you might have a change of heart if they can do better on the price. If they don't then just tell them to take it back. Dell is notorious for discounting already delivered products to try to talk you out of a return.

EDIT: and everyone is right, you'll eventually get charged.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24778 posts
10203 upvotes
videoeditting wrote:
Feb 4th, 2014 4:20 pm
op,
do what's right.
What's right? OP cancelled an order yet the retailer delivered it.
If they want it back, they either send a courier to pick it up (prepaid I might add) or let the OP keep it.
I wouldn't pay a single satoshi for this screw up.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
47137 posts
5096 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 4th, 2014 6:37 pm
What's right? OP cancelled an order yet the retailer delivered it.
If they want it back, they either send a courier to pick it up (prepaid I might add) or let the OP keep it.
I wouldn't pay a single satoshi for this screw up.
Dell will, it's just they don't know yet of their mistake.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
207 upvotes
Rankedu wrote:
Feb 4th, 2014 4:03 pm
That happened to me once, they forgot to charge me for a $500 laptop.

6 months later they charged me and send me an invoice. They won't forget about it.
In What world Dell would forget the charge? They will charge after few months.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24778 posts
10203 upvotes
sandeeS wrote:
Feb 4th, 2014 7:14 pm
In What world Dell would forget the charge? They will charge after few months.
And I would dispute it at that time, especially since I have full documentation that I cancelled the order.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1766 posts
208 upvotes
like others have said if you don't get charged now, rest assured you will be charged later....no way would I take the chance and than after 1 month or so they realize you have...you get billed...can't send it back at that point
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6054 posts
4260 upvotes
Richmond Hill
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 4th, 2014 7:28 pm
And I would dispute it at that time, especially since I have full documentation that I cancelled the order.
I'd imagine they have the shipping notification and signature upon delivery.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2012
3479 posts
610 upvotes
Nova Scotia
You'll very likely be paying for it sooner or later. I recall reading similar situations on here before and they paid for it later.

This is better then my situation on an order at newegg lol, I requested cancel, it was canceled, then the next day was charged for it out of the blue.

Waiting on a 3-5 day refund now.. it shouldn't have been charged a day after a confirmed cancel at all :|
I'm not on the can right now, I swear
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
298 upvotes
New Westminster
if you cancelled the order before shipping then i would think it is yours now for free. I purchased years ago a Matrox G400 and they sent me 2 of them. I called around and found out that i could keep both since i they cant send items to you that you didn't order and then charge you for them. now yours is complicated since you did order but if you did get a cancellation notice before the shipping time i would say it is their mistake and the item is yours.

You may want to contact your credit card company and your local consumer rights branch and see what they say. at no point do you pay for it or return shipping.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.