None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2008
1164 posts
112 upvotes

[UPDATED] Sleeping with Wet Hair and Other Hair Myth/Truths

Hi,

I'm looking for some real scientific evidence that disproves the theory that sleeping with wet hair causes headaches.

I read this OLD thread, but it doesn't provide evidence other than a few people saying "I go to bed with wet hair all the time". For all we know they could be dead now because of their wet hair! http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... r+headache

(I did some minimal google searching, since I want to go to bed now 1am...will try something more extensive tomorrow)

I'm looking to show her that scientific method > unfounded beliefs passed from generation to generation. Any help would be great!!!

Some updates!

Question: What's my risk of catching a cold when the temperature drops?
nuberific wrote:
Apr 10th, 2009 3:15 am
According to Makinen et al. (2009), respiratory tract infections and common colds are associated with temperature. For upper respiratory tract infections, the association is a 4.3% increased chance of infection per 1 degree Celsius drop in temperature (p=0.055, almost statistically significant). A 1 degree Celsius drop in temperature increases the chance of getting the common cold by 2.1% (p=0.004, statistically significant). This was for a North American sample.

Mourtzoukou and Falagas' (2007) review paper indicate that the inhalation of cold air, cooling of surface body, and cooling of core temperature suppress immune respone and cause other effects that lead to increased risk of infection. Although not all sources are unanimous on this issue, it appears that's the general concensus. Further, longer duration in the cold also appears to increase the risk of dying from infections.

Makinen, TM et al. 2009. Cold temperature and low humidity are associated with increased occurrence of respiratory tract infections. Respiratory Medicine 103(3):456-462.

Mourtzoukou, EG. and Falagas, ME. 2007. Exposure to cold and respiratory tract infections. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 11(9):938-943.

Poster's note: But to be fair, Makinen et al. (2009) was one of the cited papers by Mourtzoukou and Falagas (2007), so the information is a bit redundant.
Question: Is "cold feet" more than just a figure of speech?
nuberific wrote:
Apr 10th, 2009 4:12 pm
Johnson and Eccles (2005) found that the direct cooling of peoples' feet in 10 degree Celsius water for 20 minutes caused an onset of cold symptoms (p=0.047, statistically significant).

Johnson, C and Eccles R. 2005. Acute cooling of the feet and the onset of common cold symptoms. Family Practice 22(6):608-613.
Question: Can I get scalp fungus from sleeping with wet hair?
Scalp or fungal diseases can
Share:
77 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
2892 posts
164 upvotes
London, EU
I'm curious as well. Growing up, my parents would often say that sleeping with your hair wet would lead to blindness. While I do know now that isn't true, I'm curious to know the origin of that myth.
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14296 posts
1052 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm also curious, my parents have always told me this while growing up...
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
farkaland wrote:
Apr 9th, 2009 1:19 am
Hi,

I'm looking for some real scientific evidence that disproves the theory that sleeping with wet hair causes headaches.

I read this OLD thread, but it doesn't provide evidence other than a few people saying "I go to bed with wet hair all the time". For all we know they could be dead now because of their wet hair! http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... r+headache

(I did some minimal google searching, since I want to go to bed now 1am...will try something more extensive tomorrow)

I'm looking to show her that scientific method > unfounded beliefs passed from generation to generation. Any help would be great!!!
First off, who is this "she"?

Presuming that this is a friend, though she may have an unfounded belief, I assure you that she won't take someone seriously if their research amounts to asking a question on RFD's Off-topic forum and doing minimal Google research. And if you're asking us to do your research, it shows that we know more and that one who asks and uses our answers only knows how to ask questions, not find them themselves.

All else fails, check out WebMD - they may have a word or two on the topic.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1429 upvotes
Pickering
Remind me to stop napping after sex...
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12225 posts
303 upvotes
silly chinese superstition?
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
heymikey wrote:
Apr 9th, 2009 1:25 am
I'm curious as well. Growing up, my parents would often say that sleeping with your hair wet would lead to blindness. While I do know now that isn't true, I'm curious to know the origin of that myth.
Matrixvibe wrote:
Apr 9th, 2009 1:27 am
I'm also curious, my parents have always told me this while growing up...
...and in the spirit of being a rebellious kid, I went to sleep with my hair damp. You know, just to make things interesting. :twisted:

If nothing else happens to this thread, we can turn this thread into a "My parents told me this and I found out it wasn't true later on" topic. :D
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1214 posts
96 upvotes
Siefer999 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2009 1:30 am
silly chinese superstition?
+1 LOL

You know you're Chinese when... ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
13sundin wrote:
my mom told me "fung sup" canto ppl will know what i'm sayin
Sleep wet? :confused:

In my opinion, none of this has to do with superstition - parents just think we're making the pillows dirty by sleeping on them and making them wet.
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
13sundin wrote:
Apr 9th, 2009 1:35 am
the direct translation is "wind wet"
It could also be "phoenix wet" - fung has a bajillion meanings, depending on characters and intonation.

But I correct myself in my last post - your mother, by saying "fung sup", was telling you that your clothes (fung) were getting wet (sup) if you slept with your hair wet, wasn't she?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23349 posts
1452 upvotes
Markham
13sundin wrote:
my mom told me "fung sup" canto ppl will know what i'm sayin
this
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2006
4430 posts
149 upvotes
Heard this myth before plenty of times, and my parents have told me it quite a few times. No matter if it's true or not, it's still pretty uncomfortable to try and sleep with wet hair for me (thus I don't do it).
Banned
Jun 21, 2005
4231 posts
5 upvotes
I go to sleep with my hair wet and I get some pretty sick lift in the morning.
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
× < >