• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2017 1:47 pm
Tags:
Jan 16, 2011
491 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto

Upgrade to the 4K Era

Looking to upgrade to 4K components this Holidays season. Need some suggestions on media players that accompany the upgrade. I am intentionally omitting receivers and sound systems. I hope 30Mb bandwidth I have with my broadband provider will be good enough for streaming 4K contents.

Some choices in random orders. Go ahead and list any devices I didn't include. I don't mind getting multiple devices if I can justify the reasons.
  • Built-in Media Player (Roku etc)
  • NVIDIA Shield
  • SONY PS4 Pro
  • Microsoft Xbox One X
  • Standalone UltraHD Blu-Ray player
  • Apple TV
  • A desktop PC with good graphics card
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
MiBox can do 4k too i believe. .. its an android tv box
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Will this be wired or wireless? 30mb shouldn't be a problem but it depends how that connection is split and connected to your media settings.

I haven't had a problem streaming 4K over 5ghz WiFi, but it does buffer slowly. I do have a 100mb cable connection and the router is a few metres away in another room, though there is a concrete wall seperating the rooms.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
coilz wrote: MiBox can do 4k too i believe. .. its an android tv box
Yes, MiBox will do 4K as well as Amazon FireTV.

If you're not tied to the Apple ecosystem, and budget is a concern I'd get the MiBox, assuming it works with your TV. There are issues with the MiBox and lower end TV's.
If you're not tied into the Apple ecosystem and budget isn't a concern I'd get the Nvidia Shield personally. I've never played with the Apple TV so I'm not sure how good and how forgiving it is.

Don't get a generic Android Box that can do 4K. 4K Netflix and 4K Youtube wont' work on it.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8102 upvotes
What about a 4k cable box, OP? 4k sports is probably the nicest thing I have watched on my 4k TV.

As for the PC, definitely buy whatever you can on Black Friday. I do expect the GTX 1080 Ti cards to be discounted, and that is what you are going to need. As for the CPU, both Coffee Lake and Ryzen are good choices but it depends on what you want to do on the PC.